Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Selling Inherited Jewelry

I'm asking for recommendations/experiences that anyone may have had with selling unwanted/unneeded inherited jewelry. I got several pieces that I will never wear. I have no interest in the pieces from other family members. Does anyone or has anyone worked with a particular jeweler that's trustworthy and won't scam me?

Miner's Den in Clawson does a nice job. Honest and laid back.

What type of jewelry? Gemstones, costume, gold, silver, etc? I've sold a few pieces to Agnello's on Harper in SCS. I thought he was fair after going to a few other jewelers. Labelle antiques, also in SCS, is always looking to buy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    What type of jewelry? Gemstones, costume, gold, silver, etc? I've sold a few pieces to Agnello's on Harper in SCS. I thought he was fair after going to a few other jewelers. Labelle antiques, also in SCS, is always looking to buy as well.
    It's a variety. Much of what you mentioned, plus pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    It's a variety. Much of what you mentioned, plus pearls.
    I would think any reputable jeweler would give you a fair percentage of the current price of gold or silver but I would go to several. As far as costume jewelry, look for makers marks and do a little research beforehand. Eisenberg, Hobe, Miram Haskell, Weiss, Coro are sought after and of better quality. Also Trifari, Sarah Coventry even some Avon.

^^^Excellent points regarding makers marks!

Hallmarks are important too! And often misunderstood.

As an infrequent hobby I browse thrift stores and estate sales looking for gold jewelry and have hit the jackpot a few times from sellers not carefully reading jewelry inscriptions.

I purchased a box-link [one of the strongest chains for jewelry] 18 inch, 18K gold necklace Hallmarked as 750. That number means 18K.

Necklace priced at $5.99. Valued of $500 per weight and gold purity.

Some only consider the 'K' Karat factor when judging the authenticity and purity of gold.

Here's a chart on understanding the conversions:

https://calculator-converter.com/kar...-hallmarks.htm
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-24 at 09:11 AM.

Yep. Excellent sterling silver too can be made these fine makers.

I've seen tarnished items at estate sales/ resale shops for near nothing in price. A good shine-up and you have a nice item. And yes Avon use to sell some very good silver items.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ...As far as costume jewelry, look for makers marks and do a little research beforehand. Eisenberg, Hobe, Miram Haskell, Weiss, Coro are sought after and of better quality. Also Trifari, Sarah Coventry even some Avon.