Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Cooley High School

I haven't been on this forum for many months! what is the status of Cooley High? [[graduated Jan 61) I heard it was consider to be a nursing home, then nurse's school [[I think). i also saw a video of a fellow that recorded walking through the burnt out ruins of Cooley! SO SAD! It was truly a beautiful structure! Hope someone has an update! Thanks!

There's a fairly detailed Wikipedia article about it.

Street View

Thank you for that!

Quote Originally Posted by d.leon View Post
    Thank you for that!
    You're most welcome, d.leon, but perhaps the credit goes to Wikipedia. I have no personal experience with Cooley.

I have to admire that architecture though but that's Detroit for you.

Google finds a lot more information but I assume you're mainly looking for alumni.

Bumping this thread over to the main Discuss Detroit forum from the Chit Chat Lounge as it is fits that discussion and audience more appropriately.

It is quite disheartening how a one-time public school, renowned for its academic excellence, and a jaw-dropping student population, now in such a terrible state.

Wasn't the fire only in the auditorium?

From the front the school looks OK.... and here's a view of the back, which also looks intact...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4014...8192?entry=ttu

I always thought Cooley was the most architecturally beautiful and significant of all of Detroit's High Schools.

Why is DPS fucking around? Sell the building to the organization that wants to renovate it already. They're doing a huge disservice to the local community letting it rot. Disgusting behavior for a public entity.