Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Not sure. Cost of maintenance? Perhaps it becomes an outdoor extension of the exhibition space below?

Just me but I would love to see it become green space or some other asset to Detroiters other than the best parking views in the city.
    I see it as a benefit. It's out of the way and eliminates the need for more surface parking and garages.

Interesting about removing rooftop parking. I agree greenspace would be nice, but maybe they are planning future expansion of the Huntington Place as another floor above the 3 main convention halls. I realize that conventions prefer single space facilities, but not all convention centers in the USA are 1 floor. Even Huntington Place has a large hall on the lower floor than the 3 main halls.

I wonder if the center could structurally handle having a convention floor above the existing one? Because if future expansion is ever needed, there is no place else left to expand to.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-08-24 at 12:52 PM.

I like the large Detroit sign, cool going under the Convention Center at the point of entry. It would be cool if they incorporate some type of lighting strips and design thru, well under the Convention Center [[tunnel) into a wonderful view of downtown. What an experience that would be..A great welcome into Downtown Detroit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mykmcgrane/51074499736 Something like this or better of course.

Does Sterling group own that surface lot across the street/next to the Riverfront apts as well? Wonder if that is going to remain as parking for the new tower residents or developed? I'd hate to see that prime riverfront property, or any for that matter, be utilized as parking. Such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Does Sterling group own that surface lot across the street/next to the Riverfront apts as well? Wonder if that is going to remain as parking for the new tower residents or developed? I'd hate to see that prime riverfront property, or any for that matter, be utilized as parking. Such a waste.
    https://cityofdetroit.github.io/parc...r/04000022-40/

Ownership

Taxpayer RIVERFRONT EAST LLC
    Taxpayer Address 2 TOWNE SQUARE, STE #900, SOUTHFIELD, MI, 48076

The address is also the Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation according to their 2020 tax filing.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    https://cityofdetroit.github.io/parc...r/04000022-40/

Ownership

Taxpayer RIVERFRONT EAST LLC
    Taxpayer Address 2 TOWNE SQUARE, STE #900, SOUTHFIELD, MI, 48076

The address is also the Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation according to their 2020 tax filing.
    Hmmm... I wonder if their son-in-law... Peter Cummings and his development team get to develop that land? Cummings was involved in developing Whole Foods in Midtown, and the Fisher Building, and new apartments on W. Grand Blvd. in New Center...

So it's owned by the Platform group then? They have a pretty mixed track record.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    So it's owned by the Platform group then? They have a pretty mixed track record.
    How so "mixed"? They developed the location for Whole Foods in Midtown, built the large Woodward West Apartments in New Center, bought the Fisher Building in New Center, and spent over $30 million on renovation before they sold part interest of the building to MSU Endowment Fund.

Peter Cummings is also the Chairman Emeritus of Orchestra Hall, and was the catalyst behind the $110 million expansion of it to become THE MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How so "mixed"? They developed the location for Whole Foods in Midtown, built the large Woodward West Apartments in New Center, bought the Fisher Building in New Center, and spent over $30 million on renovation before they sold part interest of the building to MSU Endowment Fund.

Peter Cummings is also the Chairman Emeritus of Orchestra Hall, and was the catalyst behind the $110 million expansion of it to become THE MAX.
    They have in fact done some great work but I imagine they are referencing failed projects like Baltimore Station 2, the Gratiot site, the Jefferson and Grand Boulevard site, the condo project near the Cadillac dealership in Tech Town, the office building they just sold at Woodward and Grand and then this site along the riverfront. I remember when they announced the purchase of this site and it has sat ever since. I do like what the Platform has completed but it feels like they got a bit over their skis on a lot of the projects they announced in the last half decade. Hopefully development with this hotel will propel some movement on this site with another tower and potential for restaurants and retail.

There were a lot of new renderings and details shared at the community benefits ordinance meeting last night. The first rendering they shared I felt was underwhelming but I am more excited about the project after seeing more fully what they are intending to do.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I do like what the Platform has completed but it feels like they got a bit over their skis on a lot of the projects they announced in the last half decade.
    Exactly. They always seemed overly ambitious but nonetheless they have been an overall positive force as Gistok cites.

Thanks Ryan and Lowell... I knew of at least one failed project... now I know more. I wonder how many of the failed projects are due to financing problems?

Peter Cummings, who married Max Fisher's daughter many decades ago [[still married), moved to Florida as a businessman, but then moved back to do what he could to help Detroit. I do like him.

The Platform has put that lot up for sale.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-property-sale

Name:  GDfS96bXMAEuWR5.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  79.5 KB
    Name:  GDfS3_YXcAAm31Q.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  81.9 KB
    Name:  GDfTD95XsAAcPwb.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  52.4 KB

More renderings from the community benefits meeting

The rendering look great, hoping they stick to them. I really wish they had connected the apartment building directly to the DPM station to encourage its usage. I guess the hotel will be connected by default with the Cobo Station.

How could "The Joe Garage" NOT be the obvious parking solution for this area? It's massive, no one uses it with Joe Lous gone, and it's less than a block away. A case can't be made to add more parking to that area...

Love it how 2nd Ave. will come down to the river. That will help incorporate this area into the downtown area to the north.

I'm not sure that folks in the hotel will be able to go to the Huntington Place PM station. I don't think the center will be open during non activity days. Plus it would make sense for Hotel guests to just walk cross to the JLA station [assuming they were headed elsewhere downtown], since the PM cars wlll be coming towards the JLA station from the Huntington Place station anyway.

Love it how 2nd Ave. will come down to the river. That will help incorporate this area into the downtown area to the north.

I'm not sure that folks in the hotel will be able to go to the Huntington Place PM station. I don't think the center will be open during non activity days. Plus it would make sense for Hotel guests to just walk cross to the JLA station [assuming they were headed elsewhere downtown], since the PM cars wlll be coming towards the JLA station from the Huntington Place station anyway.
    They have a skybridge to cobo so they'll be able to use that PM station

Name:  GDhwJuoXcAAxgG6.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  GDhwJurWEAEmaMW.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  96.2 KB
    Name:  Water Square Plaza.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  62.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    They have a skybridge to cobo so they'll be able to use that PM station
    That's true, but after checking this map... the distance from the future Hotel to the People Mover station in Huntington Place is about 3-5 times the distance to just walk across the street to the JLA station. And then once you wait for the PM at Huntington Place... the next station is going to be JLA anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...X3Ey?entry=ttu

Did they have a full view rendering from the riverfront side? Looks pretty decent. I like the different setbacks and angular design. Something I wish their residential neighbor would have incorporated to give the building some texture.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Did they have a full view rendering from the riverfront side? Looks pretty decent. I like the different setbacks and angular design. Something I wish their residential neighbor would have incorporated to give the building some texture.
    This is the only one so far...

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/attach...5&d=1704911872

That's true, but after checking this map... the distance from the future Hotel to the People Mover station in Huntington Place is about 3-5 times the distance to just walk across the street to the JLA station. And then once you wait for the PM at Huntington Place... the next station is going to be JLA anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...X3Ey?entry=ttu
    I would agree, if people now days didn't have an extreme aversion to walking outside most of the time. Uber drivers will tell you how many people they pick up that are going 3 blocks away but are too lazy to just walk in weather that's over 70* or under 60*.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I would agree, if people now days didn't have an extreme aversion to walking outside most of the time. Uber drivers will tell you how many people they pick up that are going 3 blocks away but are too lazy to just walk in weather that's over 70* or under 60*.
    yeah, you could just take the full 10 minutes and walk to any stop the People Mover was going to take you to. It always amazes me that people complain about the cost of Ilitch's parking lots when there's cheap parking all over downtown.
    Last edited by 401don; January-11-24 at 02:48 PM.

Sadly walking, outside of a recreational activity, is not normalized in these parts.

Meanwhile, rates of obesity and metabolic disorders are as high as ever.

A little light exercise here and there can only help.

Interesting. Not so much here but crime can be a factor against walking.

A few blocks can be dangerous. Everyone is not fit for walking long distances due to surgeries and or age. I tend to reserve most of my walking for work, the gym and my peddling [indoor or out].

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast