Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Hotel on Joe Louis Site Finally Announced

This looks great. Really good job by those developers to get that site re-activated.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/pl...l-water-square

They out-blanded their previous bland box. It really feels like they weren't working with a site plan at all when plunking these down.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    They out-blanded their previous bland box. It really feels like they weren't working with a site plan at all when plunking these down.
    Yeah it's a shame when they always show Detroit's skyline from the riverfront.

No positivity, just whining.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    No positivity, just whining.
    Ah can't have an opinion on the design because we should be thankful that they are doing anything there. Got it. In a city that has an incredible architectural and design heritage I don't think it is out of line to critique what developers are doing, especially on prominent sites when they are requesting some taxpayer help.

I'm a fan of architecture as much as the next person, probably a lot more so actually, but I don't see anything wrong with sleek all glass towers. There is nothing else like them in downtown currently and I love the variety they'll add to the skyline.

What would make me most happy with these developments is reconnecting the street grid over the Lodge. There needs to be an easy way to get to the river if you're standing at the intersection of 2nd an congress. Hopefully the benefits council pushes hard for this.

In a city that has an incredible architectural and design heritage I don't think it is out of line to critique what developers are doing
    No old buildings are being torn down for this. I'd rather see a simple glass tower than some half assed attempt to make a new building look "classic" but not backed up with the quality of materials and detail that the old ones have. We see enough of that with strip malls that have dumb cornices applied.

An all-glass tower is also nicer than another one made up of multicolored metal panels.
    Last edited by Burnsie; December-21-23 at 11:48 AM.

I'm 95% sure that a connection of 2nd Ave across the Lodge is part of the broader plan here, just not sure of when or how that may happen.

I agree though, Detroit has such a storied skyline already, and a couple of glass towers on the periphery won't take away from that. It's a bit different in other cities where basically everything is glass boxes, but that's not the case here.

I'd like to join in on the nitpicking, so I'd ask they make it 26 or 24 stories. I'd prefer that the 2 buildings not be exactly the same height.....

As much as my preference for historical architecture lies in the Art Deco era of design, I just don't see much these days as being other than glass curtain construction anywhere. And considering this isn't some Saudi Sheik's oil vanity project, it's going to be a a box to maximize floor space/rate of return on the investment.

I highly doubt that the hotel will end up the same height as the apartments, despite them both being 25 stories. Based on the renderings, as well as the fact that the first 5 floors will be used for meeting space, ballrooms, etc. I w would expect the hotel to be a bit taller

The hotel is awfully close to the apartment tower, boasting 10 ft glass walls looking right into the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    The hotel is awfully close to the apartment tower, boasting 10 ft glass walls looking right into the hotel.
    Yeah, I saw that... when leasing for the apartments starts... the sides facing the water will be the first to lease, unless they are planning on asking a lot more for river views, which is probably likely. But for apartments facing directly into the hotel, and little else of a view... not so good.

Great point!

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    ...Detroit has such a storied skyline already, and a couple of glass towers on the periphery won't take away from that. It's a bit different in other cities where basically everything is glass boxes, but that's not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    In other dense cities people have been used to this forever. With higher density comes obstructed views.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    In other dense cities people have been used to this forever. With higher density comes obstructed views.
    I imagine that the hotel rooms and apartments on the inside facing the light well of the 18 story David Whitney Building would be even worse...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tunnel, Sky Bridge proposed to connect Huntington Place to future hotel

The authority that runs Detroit's Huntington Place convention center has unveiled plans to build a tunnel and Sky Bridge to connect the facility to a future hotel, along with a multi-level parking facility and pedestrian pathways.The $65-70 million project by the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority and presented to the Detroit Planning Commission during its meeting Thursday would be done in at least two phases and include constructing roadways from Atwater to Congress streets across the Lodge Freeway, while extending Second Avenue to the riverfront to give pedestrians, cyclists and motorists access between properties. A conceptual site plan also includes building a parking structure that would include 1,000 spaces.
    "Where we're at now on this project is we've completed 30% design for the Second Avenue extension across the Lodge Freeway, and we submitted those to Michigan Department of Transportation in November," said Gordon Wilson with Anderson, Eckstein and Westrick, a Shelby Township-based engineering and architectural firm, which presented the conceptual plan on behalf of the convention authority. "We're anticipating clear direction from them as to what needs to be done to meet their needs," he said, adding that his group plans to meet with MDOT on Jan. 12.
    The proposed tunnel would connect the lowest ground floor of Huntington Place to a planned 600-room hotel near the convention center. The proposed pedestrian bridge, meanwhile, also would connect the hotel with Huntington Place Convention Center but over the future Second Avenue, according to project information posted on the city’s website.

Construction is expected to begin later this year on the 25-story Hotel at Water Square. It's slated to sit along the city's riverfront near the former Joe Louis Arena site, according to project information posted on the city’s web site.
    The hotel's developers, Atwater and Second Associates LLC, which includes Detroit-based Sterling Group as the principal, are completing work on a nearby residential project, The Residences at Water Square, set to open for tenants in February 2024. City Planning Commission Chairperson Donovan Smith described the ambitions of the conceptual site plan as "exciting," but pushed for greater engagement and collaboration with local agencies and communities near the site.
    Wilson said the site would feature "pedestrian experiences" such as walkways and lanes for cyclists for public accessibility. But he said the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, a nonprofit group that runs the riverfront, and other agencies were not brought in on the phases and planning, citing "tight time frames."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...t/72112117007/

Now they'll just need to reconnect 3rd street and cop the lodge entirely between Fort and Washington.

Now they'll just need to reconnect 3rd street and cop the lodge entirely between Fort and Washington.
    Yes please! Or even better, end the Lodge at Michigan and let southbound lanes flow into Sixth St and northbound lanes flow out of northbound Fifth St. [[constructing new link from Jefferson to where it currently begins at Fort) and with that, diet the hell out of Jefferson Ave, giving more space to Hart Plaza.

Shouldn't be hard to cop the lodge in that area with Police HQ so close.

The Residence Water Square has an address of 222 3rd St but the street in front of this building is still Steve Yzerman Dr on Google maps. Has this street been renamed? Other posters are suggesting that 3rd St will be extended over the Lodge Freeway. If someone can provide me with proof the name of the road has been changed, I'll submit the road name change to all the on-line map vendors. Today, I submitted a request to Google Maps to remove the building foot print for Joe Louis Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    The Residence Water Square has an address of 222 3rd St but the street in front of this building is still Steve Yzerman Dr on Google maps. Has this street been renamed? Other posters are suggesting that 3rd St will be extended over the Lodge Freeway. If someone can provide me with proof the name of the road has been changed, I'll submit the road name change to all the on-line map vendors. Today, I submitted a request to Google Maps to remove the building foot print for Joe Louis Arena.
    Not sure of the situation in this case for certain but it's pretty common for cities to name small sections of existing streets for celebrities, famous people, etc. without it officially changing the name of the street for postal, mapping purposes.

Name:  GDIH6p2WIAAE63R.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  40.7 KB

So it looks like there's a mysterious, unspecified third tower shown in the site plans here. Any speculation as to what that may be in the future? Probably another hotel or residential is my bet.

I'm curious to see how all these buildings interact at the ground level. I'm hoping we get some proper riverfront retail and dining, maybe slightly elevated on the hotel podium even. Having some activated space between the towers will be key for walkability in this area.

It was mentioned previously that they were considering an office portion to the site as well.

It looks as though they are removing the convention center rooftop parking altogether since the spiral ramp is no longer shown in the plan view. It is also notable that the shape of the hotel will be an "L" which makes it a lot less awkward than it first appeared in the initial rendering.

Overall I think it is a pretty exciting plan and a nice step to reconnecting the area back to downtown.

It looks as though they are removing the convention center rooftop parking altogether since the spiral ramp is no longer shown in the plan view.
    Why would they remove the rooftop parking? That's a huge and valuable space.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Why would they remove the rooftop parking? That's a huge and valuable space.
    Not sure. Cost of maintenance? Perhaps it becomes an outdoor extension of the exhibition space below?

Just me but I would love to see it become green space or some other asset to Detroiters other than the best parking views in the city.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast