Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
"$80M in bonds to be covered by future concert revenue."

Man I know concerts cost an arm & a leg now a days but that is a LOT of concert revenue to bring in and pay those off.
Yes... my exact thoughts!! The Detroit Opera House conversion of the former Capitol Theatre cost $42 million back in 1991-98... and that was a much larger venue. They replaced 90% of the ornate plaster plus added a new and expanded stage house for opera productions. So I was shocked at the sticker price of this Music Hall expansion for another 2000 seat theatre.

So spending this much money and building an addition from scratch... I hope they have enough concert product available to guarantee that they will be able to repay the bonds for a 2000 seat auditorium, as well as the existing 1800 seat historic Music Hall.

As a long time guide on the annual Preservation Detroit theatre tours, I have seen the venues in Detroit get more into being used as wedding venues, because there has been a marked decrease in the number of shows touring. Just look at the Gem Theatre... the days of "All Night Strut" and other long running shows are long gone, and today that venue is mainly used as a wedding venue. Even the Fox, Fillmore and Opera House host many weddings and business gatherings... more so than 20 years ago.