Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default wooden pyramids on Kentucky street -- anyone know the origins and story?

while driving Uber the other week, I stumbled across these wooden pyramids on Kentucky Street between Schoolcraft and Intervale

Does anyone know the backstory?

Last edited by SHAARI; November-22-23 at 10:44 AM.

A closer look.

They sure look well made. Beehives? It looks like a door there indicating some utilitarian purpose and not just art.

Egyptian beehives?

That are was all residential home when I grew up in that neighborhood, 1954 - 1970.

Panning back from the closer look to an aerial view, there appears to be a circular {fire?}pit between the two:
    Name:  KentuckySt2.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  32.8 KB

This has the makings of a fun detective story/treasure hunt.

I cropped a screenshot and sent it to Google images. Surprisingly {to me}, it found a lot of matches but on second thought flat facets with pointed apex made of wood probably would find a lot of matches for an algorithm like that. None of them matched exactly.

Kids Abloom has a similar teepee but there's no playground near here. Hmm.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-22-23 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This has the makings of a fun detective story/treasure hunt.
    yes! I completely agree. Glad to have you all along for the adventure.

If you check out the Google Maps street views, the pyramids appear some time after the 2020 and before the 2022 image was taken.
    Last edited by SHAARI; November-23-23 at 11:03 AM.

It could possibly be a guerilla art installation. Many of you may recall our late great DetroitYES member Django and his piled concrete slab sculptures on Belle Isle.

Then of course there is the Heidelberg Project that began in the same manner.

It's that rectangular door that has me intrigued. The smaller pyramid has a discolored part that might be a door too.

Whoever made them put a lot of effort into it. It's not just plywood.

https://beesinthed.com/ doesn't show any beehives at that location.

If anyone goes to visit in person, be sure to bring a camera!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-24-23 at 11:48 AM.

Are they a tiny house and a tiny dog house?

Zooming way into the aerial view shows a shadow indicating there was a tripod-shaped thing above that circular {actually octahedral} feature between the two pyramids. {North is up in this screenshot, so it was taken in the morning:}

Name:  KentuckySt3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  25.1 KB

Maybe they were going to build a third pyramid there?
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-24-23 at 01:17 PM.

If anyone goes to visit in person, be sure to bring a camera!
    Dude!
    they've been busy!
    there's now a new 40’ pyramid, plus four peace poles, I will upload the photos from my iPhone when I can get a better signal
    Last edited by SHAARI; November-26-23 at 03:58 PM.

not sure how the 'photo upload' feature works on this site <still getting familiar with the forum>
    it looks like I can only upload six or seven images in any given post? There's more than that. Here's a link to my iCloud

iCloud Photos https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0f5ra...9K1IkZp8-P85Xw

the SMALLEST pyramid clocks in at approximately 52 inches tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by SHAARI; November-26-23 at 04:15 PM.

Name:  IMG_0850.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  195.0 KBName:  IMG_0860.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  154.5 KBName:  IMG_0851.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  161.6 KBName:  IMG_0852.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  166.2 KBName:  IMG_0853.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  197.3 KBName:  IMG_0854.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  160.0 KBName:  IMG_0855.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  232.7 KB

each peace pole had different writing, I only took photo details of one pole

Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Size:  180.5 KB

all four poles, and all three pyramids, are topped with these translucent pyramids bearing bits of metal and ball bearings and such. The picture I took with my iPhone really doesn't do it proper justice. They're much more beguiling in person.

crud, I seem to have exceeded my 'quota' for photo uploads...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IF ANYONE has a REAL camera with a REAL FLOOD FLASH, you have to go inside the biggest pyramid because there are all kinds of items hanging from the ceiling but it's too dark inside for my iPhone to capture those images

Zooming way into the aerial view shows a shadow indicating there was a tripod-shaped thing above that circular {actually octahedral} feature between the two pyramids. {North is up in this screenshot, so it was taken in the morning:}

Name:  KentuckySt3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  25.1 KB

Maybe they were going to build a third pyramid there?

it appears that this Google arial image captured the beginnings of this

Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  298.4 KB

Wow. Just wow! What a find.

So I assume there was no indication of the name of the artist?

That's a lot of work! I'm still trying to take it all in. It looks like they went to the trouble of making a mold to cast those capstones.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-26-23 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks for your efforts, SHAARI.

And a belated welcome to the forum! It's rare that anyone starts out here that impressively.

The admins here can give you more photo quota but I think you did a fine job with what you had.

I'll predict they aren't going to paint these pyramids. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-26-23 at 07:55 PM.

Re. your iCloud photos, those small stools in the large pyramid suggest it might be used something like a sweat lodge. The wear pattern on the grass is an indication of how often it has been used.

Any idea whether there was something under that central wooden disk in the large pyramid? It looks like it was bolted down. {But don't disturb it. LOL!}

I bet kids would just love to play in there.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-26-23 at 08:34 PM.

i resisted the urge to lift the wood cover over the pit in the lodge. I felt it needed more than just me by myself, and I was not so impulsive to just "Karen" it open by myself

Totally love the community here at DetroitYes, must say, and must also thank my friend who grew up in Detroit who has since moved very far from the borders but who clued me in to THIS particular forum/site when I found the pyramids and asked "W>T>F" and she suggested that you all may be helpful kindred spirits on this journey of more fully understanding and more importantly more fully appreciating the bounty and wonder and love that remains... if only we care to pause and look

Quote Originally Posted by SHAARI View Post
    Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Size:  180.5 KB

all four poles, and all three pyramids, are topped with these translucent pyramids bearing bits of metal and ball bearings and such. The picture I took with my iPhone really doesn't do it proper justice. They're much more beguiling in person.
    That top layer is kind of creepy in a Trypophobia way. Imagine how it would look if it were lit from within. It really needs a lightbulb.

Detroitegypt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast