Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by SHAARI View Post
    I spend zero amount of time sitting waiting to charge. My car charges overnight at home, when the whole house and neighborhood are sleeping anyway
    also, FYI, that video about people waiting in line doesn't say what KIND of charger they were waiting for. Like, for example, a free-to-use DC-fast charger. There are only a few here in the area, mostly at car dealerships, and in that case there is literally a single spot available at any given car dealership.
    There are supposedly a pair of free-to-use DC-fast charging stations at the Meijer near Great Lakes Crossing and at the Nissan Tech Center in Farmington Hills.
    But otherwise all of the DC-fast charging stations around Detroit require you to pay to use them.
    As to level-2 charging stations that are free-to-use, there are quite a few more of them. But honestly, unless the level-2 is at your own home, using someone else's level-2 is pretty pointless because it takes hours to charge, not minutes.
    Just point of reference, it takes about 30-60 minutes on a DC-fast charger to get enough of a charge to go 100+ miles. Whereas, on a level-2, 30-60 minutes worth of charge will get me about 10 miles more worth of range. So a free level-2 is basically a limp-home solution.
    Again, the infrastructure isn't built out.
    There certainly weren't hundreds of thousands of corner gas stations when ICE cars first hit the scene.
    so, anyway, back to that YouTube video. I can find all manner of things on the internet to support whatever point-of-view I care to have. Without that supposedly supporting "proof" having any meaningful context.
    There's a free level-2 [[not DC-fast) at the cell phone waiting lot off Eureka Rd at DTW. It's enough juice to let you run your heater and listen to the radio while waiting for your arriving passenger to tell you that they've landed and they're at the luggage carosel and can you come get them. But if you didn't have enough of a charge to get back home before getting to the cell lot? Plugging in and waiting for your arriving passenger isn't really going to fill your empty tank. Just like driving up on vapors is your own pre-made problem with an ICE.
    Last edited by SHAARI; November-29-23 at 08:53 AM.