Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"Here’s a list of countries with the highest number of lawyers per capita: 1. U.S. 1 lawyer for every 300 people 2. Brazil: 1 lawyer for every 326 people 3. New Zealand: 1 lawyer for every 391 people 4. Spain: 1 lawyer for every 395 people 5. UK: 1 lawyer for every 401 people 6. Italy: 1 lawyer for every 488 people 7. Germany: 1 lawyer for every 593 people 8. France: 1 lawyer for every 1,403 people".

"Here is a list of the top 5 most litigious countries by capita:
    1. Germany: 123.2/1,000 2. Sweden: 111.2/1,000 3. Israel: 96.8/1,000 4. Austria: 95.9/1,000 5. U.S.: 74.5/1,000 The Top 10 also includes the UK [[64.4); Denmark [[62.5); Hungary [[52.4); Portugal [[40.7); and France [[40.3).""

It makes no sense that the US needs 3.5x as many lawyers per capita as fifth place France. Something is broken in our society. We need more doctors, nurses, plumbers, engineers and scientists but instead spend our tax dollars creating a Byzantine litigious system with legal expenses making everything more expensive. Back to France: are France and the next 150 countries worse countries to live in because they don't have as many lawyers per capita? The number of lawyers a society needs is proportional to how fine it decides to split hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    It makes no sense that the US needs 3.5x as many lawyers per capita as fifth place France. Something is broken in our society.
    Getting off topic, but when you see how many, not just greedy, but downright stupid a lot of lawyers are it makes you wonder how difficult can the law exam be? Then again, some are both. No names [Kwame]

As a casual observer, I find it surprising that the law school needs to be replaced. It always looked pretty new and nice to me. I guess tuition wasn't rising fast enough already.

How's about that! WSU and other four-year, masters, etc level colleges and universities still have a lock on law education and other areas that require four+ years for completion. In other areas the two-year college, trade school and even online certification options are gaining ground.

In this economy more are thinking hard about for example the cost vs. recoupment factor of that four-year Marketing degree!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    As a casual observer, I find it surprising that the law school needs to be replaced. It always looked pretty new and nice to me. I guess tuition wasn't rising fast enough already.

Last edited by Zacha341; November-08-23 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    It makes no sense that the US needs 3.5x as many lawyers per capita as fifth place France. Something is broken in our society.
    Yep, broken.

Item 1. on the broken list is a lack of 'looser pays'. If we had that, most all of the frivolous lawsuits would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Yep, broken.

Item 1. on the broken list is a lack of 'looser pays'. If we had that, most all of the frivolous lawsuits would disappear.
    There are looser pays statues for very narrow cases, usually in civil matters, and generally when the reasoning of one of the parties is particularly egregious. It's generally left up to the discretion judge in those cases.

As for frivolous lawsuits, I have a family member who owns a small store, that has parking on the side. After visiting the store, a customer got into their car and drove straight into the side of the store, wiping out a brick wall in the process. A few weeks later a lawyer showed up saying he was going to sue the store as there should have been a barrier to prevent someone from driving into the store. There was no requirement for one in the building codes, nor was there even room for one [[it's a small store.) After seeing the financials on how much the business was worth [[not much) the family member never heard from the lawyer again.