Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Bruce Springsteen at Cobo Hall, 30 December 1978

Did anyone else go to this event? At the time, I hardly knew who Springsteen was, but it was the best rock concert ever IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Did anyone else go to this event? At the time, I hardly knew who Springsteen was, but it was the best rock concert ever IME.
    It wasn't even the best concert at Cobo. Seger's Live Bullet recording was, not to mention several others he performed there afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It wasn't even the best concert at Cobo. Seger's Live Bullet recording was, not to mention several others he performed there afterward.
    You may be right. I only attended a few rock concerts in my entire life because the sound level was so high that my ears bled.

The auto show is held at Cobo Hall, the Springsteen, Seger concerts and Detroit Pistons and UD basketball games were held at Cobo Arena, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    The auto show is held at Cobo Hall, the Springsteen, Seger concerts and Detroit Pistons and UD basketball games were held at Cobo Arena, I believe.
    You're right. I saw a few Pistons' games in Cobo Arena. Also saw The Doors [opened by 'Crazy' Arthur Brown] there in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Cobo Hall is a general term which included the arena as part of the facility. I think pretty much everyone knows they didn't have concerts or play sports in the actual hall.

Kathleen needs to chime in and report her AWB experience at Cobo.

I was there, had bad seats…saw him again at Silverdome. His early stuff fantastic, genius with lyrics like Dylan. But then “Brucey goes to Hollywood”, gets his head screwed up and marries some bimbo, never the same, too bad.

And my tires were slashed and I almost crashed, but the Lord had mercy
    And my machine, she's a dud, out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
    Well, hold on tight, stay up all night, 'cause Rosie, I'm comin' on strong
    By the time we meet the morning light, I will hold you in my arms

Name:  you.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  181.0 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; November-13-23 at 10:43 AM.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-11-13 11.40.28.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  74.6 KB

10. Default

I miss Cobo arena. I saw Rush, Van Halen and a few other shows there in the 80's.

Yeah, I was there. Had also seen him a few weeks earlier, in an even hotter show, at Munn Ice Arena on the MSU campus.

Saw far too many shows at Cobo Arena to remember. Spent my late high school years and a couple years thereafter scalping tickets for fun and profit out front of the place, then attending the shows if I had any leftovers. I was also a regular at most of the Pistons games in those days. Best Cobo shows I remember were a couple of prime period Bowie shows, Queen + Cheap Trick, one of those all-night Zappa extravaganzas, Earth Wind & Fire, magnificent P-Funk, and a memorable Ramones + Iggy show that was like a rock & roll train wreck.