Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I've been wondering why parents would have named their son that since the first time I heard his name.
    And of course "Shawn" itself isn't an unusual name so the real question is whether his name was chosen to sound similar to "Sinn Féin." {I believe "Sinn" is pronounced like the word "shin."}

It's just close enough to wonder whether there's a story there. But maybe there isn't. ¯\_{ツ}_/¯

Etymologies "Я" Us

Last edited by Jimaz; November-01-23 at 08:43 PM.

My exact reason for wondering that and if it led him on his career path; sort of pushed him to being rebellious
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    And of course "Shawn" itself isn't an unusual name so the real question is whether his name was chosen to sound similar to "Sinn Féin." {I believe "Sinn" is pronounced like the word "shin."}

It's just close enough to wonder whether there's a story there. But maybe there isn't. ¯\_{ツ}_/¯

Etymologies "Я" Us

UAW President Shawn Fain deserves a lot of credit for the success of his "Go Big Or Go Home" contract negotiation strategy, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. He swung for the bleachers when more than a few folks were wondering if maybe Shawn was kinda nuts asking for the things he was asking for. A 40% pay raise? Please. Get real, Shawn. Seriously.

OK, so when it was all said and done, he didn’t get a 40% raise for his union members [[his opening ask was based on the 40% pay raise already received by automotive corporate CEOs over a three-year period); he got them a 25% raise. Some of them even got more. When was the last time your paycheck got a 25% bump?...

Indeed, Ford was the last auto company to agree to unionization. And that was because Henry’s wife, Clara Bryant Ford. After witnessing the notorious Battle of the Overpass, where Bennet’s goons beat strikers bloody, Clara told her husband that if he didn’t put an end to these bloody tactics, she would leave him. This was in 1941....