Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    This guy strikes me as a low-class jerk and I'm very disappointed that the autos didn't sink themselves, rather than give him a single dime.

The auto companies didn't give Shawn Fain a dime. The workers he ably represented? Lots of dimes. And what will happen to the auto companies? They'll continue to make billions of dimes with labor peace and their costs known for the next five years. Win-win.

The economy has been artificially propped up but the free money is drying up,when that happens how many will be able to afford that $1k a month payment let alone buy new cars,then they will be back at the table negotiating a way to keep their jobs.

Anybody that makes more then me needs to be sending me a check so we are equal. But like I posted,pleasurable moments are fleeting.

The most recent UAW strike may not have been the longest in the union’s history, but it may be the most impactful.

For the first time in history, the UAW struck all members of the Detroit 3 — Ford, General Motors and Stellantis — at the same time. In total, roughly 40,000 members went on strike over a six-week stretch, and have since returned to work as the ratification process is ongoing.

So, after an eventful six weeks, did the strike work? How can we tell? On this Daily J podcast WWJ’s Zach Clark hears from experts on what exactly the strike means for the here-and-now, as well as in the long-run.

Automotive News reporter Mike Martinez says workers -- full-time, temporary workers and new hires -- will see big improvements as a result of the strike.

But the impact goes even beyond the automakers. Marick Masters, a Wayne State University business professor, says we can expect to see a "ripple effect" in two ways....

IME Fain's too intelligent for national politics. Same goes for Sean O'Brien AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    But seriously, the only solid evidence of a conspiracy in the deaths five assassinated leaders, JFK, Malcolm X, MLK, RFK, and Walter Philip Reuther, is in the case of WPR. Am I the only one who finds it curious that a conspiracy industry never arose surrounding the demise of WPR? Both our mainstream media and tabloids have hardly pursued the story. Four attempts. The evidence is there -- look it up. Why the Silence of the Lambs?

Walter Reuther - Wikipedia
    The assassination of Walter P. Reuther has got to be the saddest, least investigated, and least reported story in Detroit history. He was a good guy who opposed local Nazis like Henry Ford. It came as a surprise to me that Reuther supported the folks who wrote the Port Huron Statement:

Port Huron Statement - Wikipedia

A New Insurgency: The Port Huron Statement and Its Times [[umich.edu)

P.S. The Wikipedia article is deficient insofar as it fails to mention Jeffrey Lebowski, the Dude, who wrote the uncompromised first draft.

P.P.S. But seriously, did somebody make an offer that our Detroit newspapers couldn't refuse regarding omerta on the Reuther assassination? Are the FBI's files sealed?
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; January-27-24 at 08:39 PM.

hopefully he can have influence in getting some of the non-union auto industry shops to join the UAW. auto parts places as well as assembly factories. Organizing more voting registration would be key as well.

^ why would a non union shop want to become unionized ?

I want to increase my payroll costs said no business ever,depending on the size of the shop,they would just calculate increased costs verses just moving south and cutting costs.

Shawn Fain is not so smart as Ford Motor Co announced they will move more vehicle assembly offshore to counteract the cost of 57,000 UAW workers.

Fain has now rocketed to national and international fame for using an innovative and brilliant bargaining tactics that has won UAW workers their greatest victory ever. By taking on all of the Big 3 at once, but limiting strikes to targeted plants, he both stung the companies to action while limiting damage to them and the striking workers.

Wages always get the biggest billing and there he won big gaining a 25% increase over the life of the contract. For historical comparison, the union said its workers saw pay increases of 23% for all the years from 2001 through 2022. COLA was regained and the biggest thorn, tiers, was resolved.

The impact of this victory will not go unnoticed by nonunion auto workers, particularly in nonunion foreign automakers here in the States that Fain has promised to target. At the very least their employers will be forced to raise pay and benefits to fend off organizing efforts.

Here in Michigan, a lot more money will be in the hands of workers to the benefit of our economy.

Bravo Shawn Fain![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    Shawn Fain is not so smart as Ford Motor Co announced they will move more vehicle assembly offshore to counteract the cost of 57,000 UAW workers.

Fain has now rocketed to national and international fame for using an innovative and brilliant bargaining tactics that has won UAW workers their greatest victory ever. By taking on all of the Big 3 at once, but limiting strikes to targeted plants, he both stung the companies to action while limiting damage to them and the striking workers.

Wages always get the biggest billing and there he won big gaining a 25% increase over the life of the contract. For historical comparison, the union said its workers saw pay increases of 23% for all the years from 2001 through 2022. COLA was regained and the biggest thorn, tiers, was resolved.

The impact of this victory will not go unnoticed by nonunion auto workers, particularly in nonunion foreign automakers here in the States that Fain has promised to target. At the very least their employers will be forced to raise pay and benefits to fend off organizing efforts.

Here in Michigan, a lot more money will be in the hands of workers to the benefit of our economy.

Bravo Shawn Fain!
    "Shawn Fain is not so smart......Bravo Shawn Fain!"
    I'm lost.

Bravo Shawn Fain!
    According to CEO Farley, the company had a good relationship with the UAW during the period when that union was run by criminals. Shawn Fain ruined all that by being an honest man.

Ironically with MAGA and Build Back Better, the political mood in the country is strongly for bringing industry back home. So, don't expect Farley to last very long in Dearborn before he's banished back to Argentina.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-17-24 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm lost.
    It looks like bigboat was trying to quote something but accidentally conflated the quote with his own comments. It's amazing how often that happens around here.

FWIW, I Googled parts of the quote but came up empty handed. YMMV.

I think you're missing some sarcasm in the "Bravo" part.
    I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think you're missing some sarcasm in the "Bravo" part.
    Still wouldn't make sense. On the one hand he's saying Fain is not so smart because Ford may take production out of the country but then ends by stating a lot more money will be here in Michigan in the hands of autoworkers so how is "Bravo Shawn Fain" sarcasm?

Ay yai yai.

Can we not all see the trailing "[/QUOTE]" at the end of bigboat's post #34?

That implies that he was trying to quote someone but neglected to include the necessary paired prefix "[QUOTE]" at the beginning of the quote which would have separated his comment from the quote.

This confusion happens all too often. There's a "Go Advanced" button that allows a poster to "Preview Post" before publishing these kinds of mistakes and so avoid them.

It's no longer evident but bigboat had duplicated that post in a failed attempt to correct it.

I could point out that anti-labor posters too often don't bother to learn their tools and so unwittingly create this kind of confusion but I'll instead leave that conclusion to the reader.

bigboat's first paragraph was conflated with the quote that made up the remainder of his post.

Last edited by Jimaz; February-17-24 at 10:38 PM.

Default Shawn Fain

I'm just looking at the headlines at some of the online news services that Farley is predicting Ford will consider moving more vehicle assembly offshore to counteract the cost of the UAW contract. Do you realize just how much engine and vehicle assembly is done by Ford in Mexico. Ford is also planning on making all Lincolns in China and exporting them back to the US. If it is cheaper to do elsewhere don't ever think Ford will not.

I'm just looking at the headlines at some of the online news services that Farley is predicting Ford will consider moving more vehicle assembly offshore to counteract the cost of the UAW contract. Do you realize just how much engine and vehicle assembly is done by Ford in Mexico. Ford is also planning on making all Lincolns in China and exporting them back to the US. If it is cheaper to do elsewhere don't ever think Ford will not.
    They have to be cost competitive and China's ev prod'n is going to be a big headache. In the long run, uaw costs are only a small part of that. When China sells more lincolns than the U.S. and costs are cheaper can you blame them?
    I know Fain wants as much membership as possible but the fact is when members lose their jobs it's the members who got the big raises and kept theirs who will be voting to keep him.

I'm just looking at the headlines... don't ever think Ford will not.
    You're referring to the neoliberal business philosophy or Washington-Wall Street Consensus that destroyed our middle class over the last 45-50 years. More recently, Americans began to want MAGA and Build Back Better which favor bringing industries back home. It's happening but, in the meantime, buy vehicles with high domestic content.

Ford can go jump in Lake Chapala.

...I know Fain wants as much membership as possible...
    IIRC member dues are a small fraction of UAW's revenue, most of which derives from its investment portfolio.

Membership is important if and only if members vote in their own best interests, e.g., not voting for the cult of Orange Julius.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    IIRC member dues are a small fraction of UAW's revenue, most of which derives from its investment portfolio.

Membership is important if and only if members vote in their own best interests, e.g., not voting for the cult of Orange Julius.
    I think you may have that backwards,members should not vote for what is on their best interests,they should vote for what is in the countries best interests and not be clouded by politics.

Their best interests may lay with the auto manufacturers but as we can see it is also going overseas,which translates into less jobs.

So you on one hand admits the orange one did good by pushing the bringing back jobs to this country,then you turn around and say that it is not in the best interests of the workforce to vote for him.

Him/Her/them it does not matter,you support policies that are good for the country and in return everybody builds a better country,but when you say - that guy or gal or them is implementing a program that is going to bring good paying jobs to this country but I am not going to support it because I do not like him/her/them who are you really hurting?

Not him/her/them they are already multi millionaires and do not need a job and they have a shelf life,it does not make sense to trade a lifetime of earning power in exchange for the ability in that moment in time to say I won.

The irony in all of that is the current administration has carried forward many of the programs that the hated one implemented,the same programs that people refused to support because they did not like who was implementing them at the time.

At the end of the day everybody complains about livable wages but yet they also support policies that make this country a service economy,which by default pays lower wages.

So then they want a service economy to pay the wages equal to an industrial or manufacturing economy.

So why does a Union that depends on workers in the manufacturing and industrial sector never support polices that would bring more of those jobs to this country’s ?

One would think that the more manufacturering jobs the bigger the labor force the more union members.

The same concept of what is happening with the unions is the exact same thing that happened in Detroit.

In Detroit the fewer taxpayers that you have the more of a financial burden you have to put on them in order to keep the same level of subsistence.

The union,less workers so less people paying in,the less workers the higher wages they demand from the employers.

It will reach that point when it will crash,no different than it did in the city.

It will crash for the labor force,not the manufacturers because they can build anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by Richard; February-18-24 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think you may have that backwards...
    TLDR

Compelling points!

Ford got themselves well out beyond their skies on the EV trend.

Which did not bow as well as anticipated.

And they have their new union obligations. Ford will need to recover by many means. Necessary.

...Do you realize just how much engine and vehicle assembly is done by Ford in Mexico. Ford is also planning on making all Lincolns in China and exporting them back to the US. If it is cheaper to do elsewhere don't ever think Ford will not.

The Ugly Truth About Henry Fordhttps://youtu.be/0yNBzsN9ryE
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-23-24 at 11:46 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast