Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Detroit Public TV considering locations for new home after $11M Wixom HQ Sale

Hopefully, they decide to move back to the city.

The Riley Broadcast Center at 1 Clover Court, west of Wixom Road and between Grand River Avenue to the south and I-96 to the north, sold to an affiliate of Taiwan-based TYC Brother Industrial Co. Ltd. for $11 million.Proceeds from the sale, which closed Oct. 11, will "fund a new, permanent home" for DPTV, a spokesperson said in an email. Sites in Detroit as well as elsewhere are among the options the DPTV board is reviewing for a new headquarters and production facility, the spokesperson said.
    "The needs of our facility and our community have evolved in the last 20 years," Rich Homberg, CEO of DPTV, said in an emailed statement. "That is why we explored the sale of our building in Wixom, which ended successfully and will provide us with the opportunity to move to a new facility, allowing our organization to serve the community for the next generation. During our time in temporary space and studios, there will be no disruption to our mission. We look forward to announcing our plans for the future once they are finalized."

The temporary DPTV space is at 48325 Alpha Drive in a 48,000-square-foot building in the Alpha Tech Corporate Park in Wixom. The public TV and radio nonprofit has been using studio space at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, the spokesperson said.
    A Friday morning message was left with TYC Genera, the California-based affiliate of TYC Brother Industrial, which makes lighting components.
    Detroit Public TV sells Wixom headquarters, seeks new home | Crain's Detroit Business [[crainsdetroit.com)

Move back to Detroit please, WTVS. That is why you are called " Detroit Public Television."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Move back to Detroit please, WTVS. That is why you are called " Detroit Public Television."
    Move into the former school center building on Woodward near Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
    The needs of our facility and our community have evolved in the last 20 years
    So WDIV has been in the same studio for 40 years. WJBK has been in the same studio for 50 years. But DPTV has *had* to move twice [[the first from WJBK's old studio)? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    So WDIV has been in the same studio for 40 years. WJBK has been in the same studio for 50 years. But DPTV has *had* to move twice [[the first from WJBK's old studio)? I don't understand.
    Channel 7 even longer. This "temporary move" seems even crazier. They don't seem to be a local production machine. Many of the limited productions are off site. So much for governance of those hard earned donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Had it not moved from Second Avenue, the station would be in possession of some sweet real estate.

P.S. I'm just glad the DIA didn't relocate to Wixom. Its managers ruined Kresge Court, bought that hideous black tunnel, but stayed put on Woodward Avenue. Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    P.S. I'm just glad the DIA didn't relocate to Wixom. Its managers ruined Kresge Court, bought that hideous black tunnel, but stayed put on Woodward Avenue. Thank God.
    I didn't know about any of this. Why were they considering moving, how did they ruin Kresge Court and what black tunnel is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Had it not moved from Second Avenue, the station would be in possession of some sweet real estate.

You have got to be joking about that short arched hallway with the black walls and rainbow cove lighting, between the old parts of the basement and the newer parts? THAT bothers you?

Maybe you should look at the bigger picture... they removed those awkward and jarring looking dark gray north and south wing outer skins, and replaced it with a new stone facing that complements the old wing much better [as well as expanded them].

I wonder where in Detroit they are considering. "West Side Industrial" seems like a logical location with lots of commercial space and close proximity to downtown. Or maybe on the east side of downtown around the BCBSM campus. Lots of available land there to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I wonder where in Detroit they are considering. "West Side Industrial" seems like a logical location with lots of commercial space and close proximity to downtown. Or maybe on the east side of downtown around the BCBSM campus. Lots of available land there to build on.
    I haven't seen a lot of local productions from DPTV, but you do *not* need a lot of space to run a TV station these days. You used to need rooms full of production equipment, recorders, tape bays, and, if you want to produce live content, large studios with room for massive arrays of lights and large video cameras. Cameras are small these days, as are LED lights, and the back-end equipment can fit in a closet.

I watch a channel on Youtube that produces professional-quality shows using off the shelf prosumer cameras and a few Apple desktops, all in a small warehouse in an industrial park in Milwaukee. They build their own sets, set up their own lights, and do their own sound, again using stuff you can buy from any online video production company, along with construction stuff from Home Depot. Their shows look fantastic.

use big sections of the former Herman Keifer hospital campus, start remodeling and retrofitting from there..
    the space is there in Detroit proper. Just be creative with your vision.