Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Frank Guns Lincoln-Mercury

Howdy all! New guy, first post. I'm trying to find any and all info on Frank Guns Lincoln-Mercury, which was located at 11180 Gratiot in Detroit. I'm his nephew and I would love to see pictures, articles etc... My dad was a Ford guy for years and bought at least 2 from him, one of which I remember like it was yesterday- the other I was there with him when he bought it. The one I'm most interested in is a 1962 Mercury Meteor 4door sedan. It was black with a red interior, automatic and an AM radio. I have all the information on it- except the VIN! I have all the code info but infinite number of combinations possible. Any suggestions?? If I find it, I want to restore it.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but your chances of finding that car 60 years later are slim to none. But there are stories out there of successful finds such as the one you are chasing so do not give up. I recommend starting with Hemmings Motor News and Bring a Trailer to look for something close. You might consider a 1962 Ford Fairlane, which was very close. Don't be surprised if your search takes you out West or down South due to notorious Michigan tin worm. Once again, good luck on your search.

FWIW in my experience four doors are of the 50’s and 60’s are usually found in one of two states, lightly used “little old lady” condition or the totally roached out “I got it cheap and will drive it into the ground” version.

Hemmings Motor News USED to be a good source but times change. Bring A Trailer, Craigslist and FB Marketplace might be some place to look. Ford and Mercury Restorers Club Of America might be an option to look at also.

There used to be a big Ford and Mercury car show in Dearborn, don’t know if that is still around though. Some smaller cruise ins might be an option too. I’ve pretty much given up on shows, seems that those are more of “Look how much I paid for this car” vs. the guys that build and restore their own, just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Franksgoodnephew View Post
    Howdy all! New guy, first post. I'm trying to find any and all info on Frank Guns Lincoln-Mercury, which was located at 11180 Gratiot in Detroit. I'm his nephew and I would love to see pictures, articles etc... My dad was a Ford guy for years and bought at least 2 from him, one of which I remember like it was yesterday- the other I was there with him when he bought it. The one I'm most interested in is a 1962 Mercury Meteor 4door sedan. It was black with a red interior, automatic and an AM radio. I have all the information on it- except the VIN! I have all the code info but infinite number of combinations possible. Any suggestions?? If I find it, I want to restore it.
    I knew about the dealership from Frank Guns 2 sons... the late Robert and late Frank, but next to nothing about their father, who passed away a relatively poor man about 25 some years ago.

Thanks. Stay posted!

Thanks for the encouragement! My dad drove a particular car- this one! Anything else would be not him.

I know a whole bunch of stuff about Frank seniors life- not relevant, though. Its the dealership I'm interested in.

am curious how you knew my uncle. Perhaps we are related. Let me Know.