Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Hart Plaza Fountain To Be Repaired

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...t/71132913007/

Covid money still seems to be lying around everywhere to be used for everything. It feels like decades that the fountain hasn't worked properly. I assumed there was some sort of design problem that made it not worth fixing but these seem like basic, although expensive, repairs. I'm surprised if the city didn't have the money previously that some sort of fundraising efforts never took place to fix it before now. There's still no mention here of any permanent design changes to Hart Plaza.

It’s the little things that count sometimes,it appears that many enjoyed it year round in the past.

I agree and its like with Bell Isle,the city does not seem to be into doing things that bring the community together as one while also encouraging some to take a little more pride in the community.

It worked, to some degree, into the mid 2010s from what I can remember. It was probably running on borrowed time for years though when they started it up just for Movement and Jazz Fest.

I don't imagine any major redesign is in the near future as they replaced the surfaces throughout almost the whole plaza. I would think a major redesign would only occur in tandem with a plan for the old Ford Auditorium site, no sense in doing one without the other.

The fountain is ugly and a violation of Mrs. Dodge's wishes, as I understand them, but its better to have an ugly working fountain than an ugly dead fountain, I suppose. So, Bully!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The fountain is ugly and a violation of Mrs. Dodge's wishes, as I understand them, but its better to have an ugly working fountain than an ugly dead fountain, I suppose. So, Bully!
    Couldn't agree more, '53. I think if Mrs. Dodge could arise from the beyond, she would demand her money back.

Yea I do not know,Dodges as a vehicle were some pretty ugly trucks so it does kinda coincide at least a tiny bit.

It's about time.

From what I have gathered [and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong] the Dodge Fountain has never worked as intended. There were supposed to be many variations on the water jet configuration.

I'm not sure if this is an urban legend or the truth... but from what I heard on DYes about 20 years ago, some maintenance worker left a large 5 gallon bucket in the fountain works, and that is why it doesn't give us a fountain show of different streams of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From what I have gathered [and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong] the Dodge Fountain has never worked as intended. There were supposed to be many variations on the water jet configuration.

I'm not sure if this is an urban legend or the truth... but from what I heard on DYes about 20 years ago, some maintenance worker left a large 5 gallon bucket in the fountain works, and that is why it doesn't give us a fountain show of different streams of water.
    When the water is coming from both the top and bottom at the same time it's actually pretty nice on a hot day with an event filling the plaza. Otherwise it's pretty stark in appearance in the middle of all that empty concrete. We've discussed different options for Hart Plaza and it sounds like nothing major will be done in the near future. They should try to break it up somewhat with a few more benches, tables and small trees, planters, etc.

I heard on the radio some talk about this. Here's a better article:

https://michiganchronicle.com/2023/1...evitalization/

"With a ring gracefully suspended between two tilted supports and a stark black granite pool beneath, the fountain once showcased a mesmerizing dance of water through 300 jets, cascading in 33 different choreographed patterns. However, the passage of time has dulled its grandeur, rendering its jets and lights dysfunctional".

I think that I saw it in action as a kid, it'd be nice to see it restored again

way past time. but it needs to be fixed permanently. not fix it today, then it shuts down six months later "because reasons". very important to see exactly who are the contractors and subcontractors working on this.

Glad to hear the fountain is being restored. The kids will love it on hot summer days. It is a cool feature that people can walk right in to it and enjoy the refreshing water if they wish when it is running.

I think thats great. I remember walking the festivals in hart plaza as a kid and it was always on. Some might not like it but its a thing around here.

This probably should be on another thread but what do you think of a ferris wheel at Hart Plaza, possibly on the Ford Auditorium site where it wouldn't disrupt the event space. I generally think copying what other cities have done is gimmicky but a lot of cities now have them and they seem to be successful. There would be great views of Belle Isle, Canada, the bridges, etc. It would be enjoyed by both locals and visitors and has the added benefit of being able to be moved elsewhere on the riverfront later if other plans were developed.
    Last edited by 401don; October-12-23 at 08:46 AM.

I don't think the thing has ever worked as it was supposed to. It is way too complicated and subject to malfunctions. I would like to see it moved to another location and replaced with something more like Scott Fountain, Buckingham [[Chicago) or even the one at Grand Circus Park. A few pumps and gravity less likely to breakdown. I'm with the folks who said Anna Dodge would have hated it too, given her preference for classical architecture.

Amazing what can happen when the NFL draft comes to that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Amazing what can happen when the NFL draft comes to that area.
    Whatever it takes to fix it. A pope visit wasn't going to do it. It took something really big.

When I visited the Noguchi Museum in New York several years ago I remembered seeing a video of the opening of the fountain and the plaza with Noguchi supervising the finishing touches. It triggered some personal memories of the early days of the plaza and how the fountain briefly looked then when it was operating as intended.

I finally found that video online and you can see, especially right near the end starting at about 5:00, how the fountain and its lighting originally looked. Plus, there's some really super cool '70s dancing!

Isamu Noguchi, Philip A. Hart Plaza, Detroit on Vimeo
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-21-23 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks for posting that link. Seeing the fountain operating as intended shows that it’s a mid-century masterpiece, despite what the philistines think. Of course I’m a big fan of all things Noguchi, including his iconic coffee table that’s right in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Thanks for posting that link. Seeing the fountain operating as intended shows that it’s a mid-century masterpiece, despite what the philistines think. Of course I’m a big fan of all things Noguchi, including his iconic coffee table that’s right in front of me.
    If you're a Noguchi fan you should scroll right or left using the side arrows from that Hart Plaza video. It appears that much of the Noguchi Museum's video collection is posted there on Vimeo.