Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Chief Craig Running for Senate

I like the guy, but he strikes me as being disingenuous. About 5 minutes after he arrived in town for the Police Chief job, he claimed he was a victim of a carjacking or carjacking attempt. I never could get past that with him. I certainly hope his campaign for senate is handled better than his gubernatorial bid was.

Oh no!

bizarre. His 'bro-mance' with anti-intellectual ex-Fox anchor Tucker Carlson has led to this.

With him not "just" being a Republican but being an outright Donald Trump supporter, I don't see how he expects any substantive African American support. I think he also overestimates how interested outstate white residents are going to be into him. He's going to need a lot more numbers statewide than John James had to get in the 10th District with all the former "Reagan Dems-turned-GOP-lifers" in those neighborhoods. The cohort of GOP-leaning white police officers [including those who served or currently serve in Detroit] and similar police/fire retirees may be empathetic for him, but that's it. I have a distinct memory of suburban Detroit megachurch pastor Keith Butler running for senator on the GOP ticket. It didn't end well for him. [in the years to follow he'd have a sex scandal that was galling.]

Also, Craig's tenure as a police chief, overseeing public safety, doesn't speak to all of the assortment of departments that he would have to oversee as a senator. What's his take on health and human services? Developing private business investment? Him running for senator on a "law and order" ticket doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; October-05-23 at 07:47 PM.

He has just as much of a chance as any other politician,it’s sales,both sides just have to hit the right talking points.

Who ever runs the best sales campaign wins,if it was actually based on expectations of accomplishments after they win then they would not have anything to run on.

It’s job security for politicians,if they actually fixed all of the problems then there would be no room for promises in the next election cycle.

One person in politics does not have the capability to actually fix anything,it’s based on if they have to ability to sway or cut deals with the opposing party in order to try and fix things.

Even with one party as a dominating force ,by design,they still cannot actually fix anything that easy.

As a rule it’s not like the public votes in those who act in the best interests of the public,if they did we would even have city's like Detroit in the first place.

As far as Detroit specifically,I seem to remember it was not that long ago politicians that were in front of the cameras daily screaming how they are going to represent the people of the city once they get into Washington,they have been there for 3 years anyways,how’s that working out?

Yea okay they helped send billions to the state,that your grandchildren owe,but what exactly has changed to improve your personal quality of life?

That is what people are going to look at other then those who vote strictly for their party all else be dammed and people made it pretty clear that policies have zero to do with anything,it’s all about image and the ability to pander.

Besides he is African American and if African Americans do not vote for him then they are not black. So if the City of Detroit is a majority African American then he should have the full support of the city,based solely on that.

Thats why there is so much corruption in politics,if you want something done quickly with results,it’s easier to just pay somebody to do it.
    Last edited by Richard; October-05-23 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh no!
    He's hopping on the campaign financing gravy train. Choo choo...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Besides he is African American and if African Americans do not vote for him then they are not black. So if the City of Detroit is a majority African American then he should have the full support of the city,based solely on that.
    Um, I would disagree with that assessment [I did agree with it in the past though]. But now Detroiters don't seem to always vote based on skin color. 2 words... Mike Duggan.

Past mayoral races: In 2013 he beat Benny Napoleon, in 2017 he beat Coleman Young Jr., and in 2021 he beat Anthony Adams... all African Americans. In 2013 he beat Napoleon 55% vs 45%. In 2017 and 2021 races it was more than 2 to 1 in Duggan's favor.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-05-23 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    bizarre. His 'bro-mance' with anti-intellectual ex-Fox anchor Tucker Carlson has led to this.

With him not "just" being a Republican but being an outright Donald Trump supporter, I don't see how he expects any substantive African American support....snip...
    Guilt by association is a weak strategy. One doesn't have to agree with every idea of anyone they've ever spoken well of.