Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Bye, bye, Miggie - Tiger Legend gets Grand Send Off

It was great to see Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tiger Legend, get honored over this final weekend of his fabulous career. What I especially liked about him was that he always played the game with the joy of a kid on a little league team -- always smiling, always cheerful, and always having fun.

For today's final game, a sellout like yesterday's, fans were given cards turning the whole stadium into a tribute before the start of play.
    Name:  Miggie-1-1400.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  67.8 KB

After his last at bat [a walk] he was inserted to play first base the following inning. As the ball always seems to find a new player, he had a sharp ground ball hit to him, fielded it perfectly, and raced to first base for the out.

Then the manager with Miggie's kids came out to take him out of the game allowing the game to be delayed, the fans cheer him off, as the whole team came out to greet him. And then he marched off into history. Behind him the Hudson Site building rises reminding me how much has changed for the better in downtown Detroit over his years. So long Miggie.
    Name:  Miggie-2-1400.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  73.5 KB

Not to be a wet towel, but I've never felt a connection to Cabrera like I did with other Tiger greats. Not sure why. Certainly, he's quite popular, as evidenced by the turn out yesterday. I wonder if other people share my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Not to be a wet towel, but I've never felt a connection to Cabrera like I did with other Tiger greats. Not sure why. Certainly, he's quite popular, as evidenced by the turn out yesterday. I wonder if other people share my experience.

I think it's an age thing mostly. I certainly don't have the attachment to Cabrera or even Verlander that I had to some of those on the '68 & '84 teams. Of course, not winning a World Series may have something to do with it. I soured on Cabrera somewhat as his skills declined the last 5-6 years. It wasn't so much the big money, that wasn't his fault, as much as the act wore a little thin - being overweight, pulling on 1st baseman's shirts and joking with them when you're down 6 runs, running through the 3rd base coach's signs, etc. I'm glad he overcame the drinking problem because things could have gotten really ugly in his professional and personal life. Apparently Ozzie Guillen, who is very close friends with the family, helped him get it together. I still don't know how he turned his season around and started hitting fastballs again the 2nd half of the year when it looked like he never would again with all the injuries. Time to move on with a new, young group that's finally looking like they could be a solid core for the next several seasons.
    Last edited by 401don; October-02-23 at 10:11 AM.

It was difficult to have a connection with a man who mostly stayed out of the spotlight during his career. The limited interviews, broken english, resistance to seek the limelight all contributed to that. Was he a great baseball player? Yes, no doubt and I'd be surprised at some point he doesn't have a bronze statue in the outfield. But he is a man with a complicated legacy. The DUI, jail time, second family in Miami all contribute to a flawed but amazing athlete. He may be on the Mount Rushmore of great Detroit Tigers or athletes in general, but he won't ever be remembered in the way Yzerman/Isiah/Barry/Kaline are.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It was difficult to have a connection with a man who mostly stayed out of the spotlight during his career. The limited interviews, broken english, resistance to seek the limelight all contributed to that. Was he a great baseball player? Yes, no doubt and I'd be surprised at some point he doesn't have a bronze statue in the outfield. But he is a man with a complicated legacy. The DUI, jail time, second family in Miami all contribute to a flawed but amazing athlete. He may be on the Mount Rushmore of great Detroit Tigers or athletes in general, but he won't ever be remembered in the way Yzerman/Isiah/Barry/Kaline are.
    I totally agree with that. To me, the man was an enigma, and not nearly as marketable as he could have been. Showing up way overweight and out of shape for the last few years was a bad optic; it was like an insult to his followers. He definitely had his foibles there's no doubt about it.

That being said, he was the greatest Tiger hitter of my generation, I don't know about Ty Cobb. Was he the greatest Tiger? Greater than Al Kaline? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Was he the greatest Tiger? Greater than Al Kaline? I'm not sure.
    Al Kaline once said that had he known how important stats would become after his retirement, he would have tried to hit at least one more home run and a few more hits. He finished his career with 399 homers, 3007 hits and BA of .297.

He was the best of my lifetime, but Cobb was at least the best of his time if all time Tiger. But for WW2 and four seasons lost to military service, we would be considering Hank Greenburg in that conversation.

Thanks for all of the comments above - they seem spot on.

For my money, its Cobb, Kaline, Greenberg, in that order.

I have a friend who is a tireless promoter of Harry Hellman. Look at his stats, not to mention saving a lady whose car ending up in the Detroit River.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    I have a friend who is a tireless promoter of Harry Hellman. Look at his stats, not to mention saving a lady whose car ending up in the Detroit River.
    And also not to mention that he was the Tigers play by play radio broadcaster for many years, c. late 40's, early 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    Spelled Heilmann. They had a vote in the '80s for all-time Tigers and the fans voted Gibson for one of the outfield spots. Gibby said he was thankful but embarrassed because the spot belonged to Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I totally agree with that. To me, the man was an enigma, and not nearly as marketable as he could have been. Showing up way overweight and out of shape for the last few years was a bad optic; it was like an insult to his followers. He definitely had his foibles there's no doubt about it.

That being said, he was the greatest Tiger hitter of my generation, I don't know about Ty Cobb. Was he the greatest Tiger? Greater than Al Kaline? I'm not sure.

A paunch in baseball is part of the lore, though, isn’t it? Like chewing tobacco, and scratching your balls to signify something. You wouldn’t put a paunch on a Gordie Howe. Heck.