Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Ford halts work on $3.5 billion EV battery plant in Michigan

methinks this is fallout from the strike....

Ford Motor Co. said it has stopped construction of its $3.5 billion electric vehicle battery plant in Marshall.
    "We're pausing work and limiting spending on construction on the Marshall project until we're confident about our ability to competitively operate the plant," Ford spokesperson T.R. Reid toldAutomotive Newson Monday. "We haven't made any final decision about the planned investment there."
    The stoppage was first reported Monday by The Detroit News.Ford in February revealed plans for the site, which is to be known as BlueOval Battery Park Michigan. It was originally expected to open in 2026 as a wholly owned Ford subsidiary using technology from Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd., based in China.

It was not immediately clear what, if any, impact the pause would have on Ford's ability to source batteries for future EVs. Reid said the Dearborn-based automaker remained committed to being an EV leader.

The plant is slated to employ 2,500 workers and have the capacity to build 35 gigawatt-hours of lithium iron phosphate cells a year, which is enough to power about 400,000 EVs, Ford said. The automaker, which announced it would partner with CATL last July, said lithium iron phosphate chemistry will help it increase production of EVs and make them cheaper to build. Republican lawmakers later investigated the deal, scrutinizing issues around American jobs, technology-sharing and links to forced labor.

The Marshall plant was approved for $1.7 billion worth of incentives, including a $210 million Critical Industry Program grant to Ford, a Renaissance Zone tax exemption worth $772 million over 15 years, $630 million for MDOT and the Marshall Area Economic Development Alliance, and $120 million for other site prep work.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/automo...plant-michigan

Gotion Inc. is a subsidiary of Hefei, China-based Gotion High-Tech, which employs hundreds of active CCP members and whose articles of association mandate allegiance to the CCP constitution; Gotion Inc. has also registered with the Department of Justice [[DOJ) as a Chinese foreign principal.
    The project is set to receive $536 million in subsidies from the state of Illinois,

So now that is out of the way there is a lot of confusion going on out there,another news source reported that the Michigan plant was going to manufacture the components that were then going to be shipped to the Illinois factory in oder to build the batteries there and not the Michigan factory as alluded to.

So the actual battery assembly factory received $536 million in incentives and the Michigan factory receiving $1.7 billion,if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you,sorry I forgot you already bought one.

The whole reason for auto manufacturers to build battery factories close to production is because of the high shipping costs,that was their own words a year back.

So why would they ship materials from China to Michigan where they will be assembled into components and then shipped to Illinois where the components will be made into batteries,then the assembled batteries will be shipped back to Michigan so they can be installed into vehicles,I am not an expert on this whole save the planet thing but that to me is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do.

We do not need as taxpayers to be funding the CCPs startup costs in order to establish commy bases here.

You would think for $1.7 billion of taxpayers dollars you could entice a real battery factory there.

Ford collected $2.8 billion from Tennessee 5800 jobs
    Hyundai collected from Georgia $1.8 billion for 8500 jobs
    Rivian collected from Georgia $1.5 billion for 7500 jobs
    GM collected from Michigan $1.8 billion for 4050 jobs

The difference is they are making batteries.

The total investment of all of those listed is the same from 5 billion to the max with GM at 6.6 billion

Ford / CCPs investment in Michigan is $3.5 billion with 2500 jobs while collecting $1.7 billion in incentives without actually making batteries like the others are doing.

You guys are okay with that?

I think at the very minimum you guys need a new negotiator if Michigan and it’s taxpayers are going to survive this.

Between just the bridge and 2 auto manufacturers that comes out to $6.5 billion in taxpayer monies and that does not even count the other companies that I did not list that received chump change of $500 million or less.

Bet cha you did not know saving the planet would come at a very high cost,you will starve to death in the process.
    Last edited by Richard; September-25-23 at 10:49 PM.

Or, it may be they have reconsidered their projected requirements. Ford is currently building a large battery plant in Kentucky and recently announced construction of a huge facility in Tennessee to build F-series EVs and batteries.

Maybe someone woke up and realized they can build all the batteries they want but if there is no infrastructure to change them them are finished!

Thank you unions.

Generational legacy costs competing against new start ups with no legacy costs,what could go wrong.

Ford committed to billions in investments then figured out that it was not profitable after the fact? Or they were being blackmailed by the CCP telling them they cannot sell fords in China unless they help them establish bases in the U.S..

Nobody should be collaborating with our enemies in order for them to establish bases on U.S. soil in the first place.

N Korea wants to know how much taxpayer monies is the state willing to put up so they can establish a nuclear missile factory in Michigan,it will employ 2500.

Michigan and Illinois,CCP establishing 2 bases within miles of U.S. military bases while posing as battery factories.

Who exactly are we saving the planet for and in whose interests.
    Last edited by Richard; September-26-23 at 10:40 PM.

Default Ford/Marchall

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Thank you unions.
    With the UAW demands that could play a very large part in Ford's decision to delay the build of the battery plant in Marshall, MI. It could also be related that Ford customers just do not want an EV due to their major problems like fires, initial cost, $20,000 plus battery cost replacement and the biggest issue is possibly all of the fires EV's have caused in and around homes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    ... all of the fires EV's have caused in and around homes.
    That's not looking good. You'd think that problem would have been fixed by now. The longer it languishes the more it seems unsolvable.

I recall reading {maybe it was here} that garages were originally detached because of the fear of gasoline fires from those newfangled horseless carriages. We may be heading back to that!

Electric vehicles and electric bicycles... serious issues with fires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEA9hEIRiA

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'll never own an EV. Isn't gas-electric hybrid a better technology?

P.S. Perhaps we should just make rickshaws, and convert our public schools into academies for rickshaw drivers? It's much cleaner transport if the drivers don't fart like the bloated cattle that create so much air pollution and noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I'll never own an EV. Isn't gas-electric hybrid a better technology?

P.S. Perhaps we should just make rickshaws, and convert our public schools into academies for rickshaw drivers? It's much cleaner transport if the drivers don't fart like the bloated cattle that create so much air pollution and noise.

We have two electric bikes in my newly built garage/studio. I would hate to see that go up in flames. Ouch!

As far as cars go, I’m hoping and trying to stretch my 2011 car to last another 6,7 years if possible. It runs great, and still looks good. I would rather spend my money doing stuff to my house than on a car.

The data is pretty clear that EV's do not pose an increased risk of catching fire. They are less prevalent than ICE's and Hybrids. The tricky part is that they can be harder to put out than gasoline fires because they burn differently, but I'm sure with critical mass there will come new ways fire departments look at vehicle fires.

How Much Should You Worry About EV Fires? [[autoweek.com)

Petrol and diesel cars 20 times more likely to catch fire than EVs [[thedriven.io)

Electric vehicle fires are rare, but when they occur, they can be a nightmare - The Boston Globe

Not just those,anything with the battery’s,people switching from gas or electric power tools,laptops,even that thing that you stand on with two wheels have started fires.

Electric bicycle burned a million dollar boat to the waterline in Fort Lauderdale so fast it killed a mother that was taking a nap while the father and rest of the kids were out for a walk.

But they have known about it for a long time because it caused plane crashes a few years ago.

I was in the cell phone store and picked up the Motorola flip phone to check it out and it was so hot just from sitting there they had to unplug it,my iPhone shuts down when it gets hot so there must be a way to shut this stuff down when it gets to a certain temperature.

It’s like they just self combust because on the planes they were just being transported and not charged.

I do not charge any power tool batteries in the house or garage anymore.

It reminds me of the auto manufacturers and their risk factor accounting.
    Last edited by Richard; September-29-23 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    The tricky part is that they can be harder to put out than gasoline fires because they burn differently, but I'm sure with critical mass there will come new ways fire departments look at vehicle fires.
    Foam? Because, will there be any water supply for firefighting?

It takes a lot of foam,in the military we used a blood based foam,but now lawsuits over its use.

Watched where they are testing a large blanket thing that pulls over them entire car and deprives the fire of oxygen,if you are trapped in a car though it’s pretty clear nobody is running up with a fire extinguisher in hand to save you.

They might as well just re-introduce the Pinto,it was pretty fuel efficient while it was doing its part in saving the planet.
    Last edited by Richard; September-29-23 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    my iPhone shuts down when it gets hot so there must be a way to shut this stuff down when it gets to a certain temperature.
    Any semi-sophisticated electronic device with a LiON battery have some sort of battery management mechanism that watches current draw and temperature, and shuts the battery down when anything goes awry. Every laptop, phone, and electric car have these systems. They are only active when the battery is charging or discharging, though.

Runaway fires have happened with managed batteries, and the reason you hear about them is because they are very rare. Usually the battery failure is due to physical damage to the battery. Other times there is a short in another electrical system in the car, which would happen in an ICE car. I know two people who've had their car catch fire while driving due to shorts in the engine compartment.

There are risks with any new technology. It's not going to be 100% safe because nothing is 100% safe. For comparison, look up how many gas station fires there have been *this year* If we weren't so used to it, everyone would be outraged at the thought of allowing any random idiot to use a machine that can pump out a gallon of highly explosive liquid in seconds, in front of a store that sells cigarettes and booze.

Recently I heard the current preferred strategy is to hook up the vehicle to a fire engine and drag it to an isolated spot to let it burn itself out. That sounds like a strategy of last resort to me.

Lol who is going to be that volunteer to hook the cable up to pull it away.

Thats like asking somebody to hand you that clump of burning white phosphorus.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Any semi-sophisticated electronic device with a LiON battery have some sort of battery management mechanism that watches current draw and temperature, and shuts the battery down when anything goes awry. Every laptop, phone, and electric car have these systems. They are only active when the battery is charging or discharging, though.

Runaway fires have happened with managed batteries, and the reason you hear about them is because they are very rare. Usually the battery failure is due to physical damage to the battery. Other times there is a short in another electrical system in the car, which would happen in an ICE car. I know two people who've had their car catch fire while driving due to shorts in the engine compartment.

There are risks with any new technology. It's not going to be 100% safe because nothing is 100% safe. For comparison, look up how many gas station fires there have been *this year* If we weren't so used to it, everyone would be outraged at the thought of allowing any random idiot to use a machine that can pump out a gallon of highly explosive liquid in seconds, in front of a store that sells cigarettes and booze.
    All of that did not stop them from self combustion while being transported in flight,they were not damage or being charged,it’s like internally they are having little nuclear meltdowns.

They are mimicking little things rubbing together creating heat and starting the fire.

We have never justified using the public as ginny pigs for new technology,until it came to saving the planet,so what percentage of the population is expendable in the best interests of the greater good?

A million ways to die and now they are inventing new ways to die,so you can live.

I guess in the bigger picture if 1 in 10 has to die so others may live,it’s worth it because with 350 million it would be considered a rare occurrence.

The problem is we are designating a few people that get to pick who lives or who dies,as long as it is not them.
    Last edited by Richard; September-30-23 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Recently I heard the current preferred strategy is to hook up the vehicle to a fire engine and drag it to an isolated spot to let it burn itself out. That sounds like a strategy of last resort to me.

Yes, and I read that one vehicle fire was put out, the car brought to pasture, only to reignite again 3 days later. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Ford collected $2.8 billion from Tennessee 5800 jobs
    Hyundai collected from Georgia $1.8 billion for 8500 jobs
    Rivian collected from Georgia $1.5 billion for 7500 jobs
    GM collected from Michigan $1.8 billion for 4050 jobs
    I think at the very minimum you guys need a new negotiator if Michigan and it’s taxpayers are going to survive this.
    If you want more jobs per $, then you need to pay less per job. I'm just guessing that Rivian and Hyundai have lower per job costs than Ford.

Regardless, this is all just theoretical jobs. Y'all have noticed that these jobs often are theoretical jobs. The main purpose is to enable politicians to say 'I brought Michigan xxx new jobs'. The cost is unimportant because money is just printed anyway. No actual costs are involved. If there are any, it'll all be paid for by Elizabeth Warren and AOC's new taxes on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    With the UAW demands that could play a very large part in Ford's decision to delay the build of the battery plant in Marshall, MI. It could also be related that Ford customers just do not want an EV due to their major problems like fires, initial cost, $20,000 plus battery cost replacement and the biggest issue is possibly all of the fires EV's have caused in and around homes.
    My experience with evs. I have driven the Tesla model 3 for weeks. 2023 standard range model. It's nice. But doesn't get anywhere near the advertised range. Especially in a hot climate like where I live [[Texas). Supercharging is fast but expensive. Only practical if you charge from home for savings. Also driven a 2023 Chevy bolt EUV. Also a great car, even better than the Tesla in my opinion. Plenty of zip, and it actually gets its stated range and then some! Was really impressed with its real world range and efficiency for an ev driving even aggressively. Also way better crafted interior. Teslas are cheap junk. Mine was falling apart at 40k miles.

I also own a 2013 ford fusion hybrid. Everything is original including brake pads with almost a quarter million miles. The interior still looks new. The car is just as quick as those EVs and kicks their A on range. Ford needs to focus on hybrids. Period. I might buy the maverick hybrid when I'm done with the fusion

^ I rode in one of those back then but the SUV version actually was not a bad vehicle for a Ford.

The EPA has jacked the emission standards again to push the EVs or make it so expensive for the manufacturers to produce ICE ,ford is saying that is another multi billion impact on their bottom line.

They could have pushed the hybrids and phased into EVs,I did not see any difference in riding in that hybrid verses a full on ICE and push comes to shove hybrids are more palatable then EVs.

You could probably even convert a 66 mustang into a hybrid.