Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default $35M in new investments revive Warren/Cadieux Neighborhood

More than $35 million in new development is transforming Detroit's East Warren/Cadieux neighborhood, reviving a historically disinvested area on the city's east side.

Work is underway at eight buildings on East Warren, including Smoken Aces, a city-owned building that will be marketed for renovation; Terri's Cakes, recently opened Morningside Cafe and Next Chapter books, three Motor City Match winners; The Ribbon apartments; Woo's Chop Suey building; The Arthur Murray; The Deco; East Warren Farmers Market; and Baobab Fare II.

In addition to a new $8.8 million streetscape and improvements to Balduck Park, the city has spent $1.2 million on the Courville Parking Plaza and bus stop upgrades. Mayor Mike Duggan, Public Works Director Ron Brundidge and community leaders celebrated the neighborhood's comeback Thursday with a ribbon cutting for the new streetscape, the grand opening of two Motor City Match businesses and a festival featuring three stages, 35 vendors and a kids' zone. In total, $35.5 million in development is being pumped into the East Warren corridor, $21 million of which is provided by the Strategic Neighborhood Fund. The fund is a $130 million public-philanthropic venture to grow opportunity in seven selected neighborhoods. Invest Detroit is the fiduciary for the fund.

The neighborhood just east of the Stellantis Assembly Complex has no anchor institutions besides Ascension St. John Hospital and has seen decades of disinvestment. The area is home to a handful of churches, auto repair stores, fish and chicken shops and plenty of shuttered storefronts.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...t/70499565007/

That area is my old neighborhood [lived on Marseilles], and the housing stock is still in relatively decent condition, with very few missing homes [unlike the area west of EEV]. The area nearer Balduck Park and St. John Hospital was once a Copper Canyon [police, fire, city employees], that was still flourishing back in the 1990s until Gov. John Engler pulled the plug on residency requirements. Then the area went on a slow slide downhill with the business district going first, until by 2010 it was mostly rentals... and we all know how rental property is maintained.

Unlike EEV, which still had/has white residents, when my mom passed away in 2010 [after living there for 50 years], she was the last white resident on her block.

What about the Algers theater? The only activity that had been occurring in that building is the changing of the birthday wish messages on the marquee. Noir movies could be shown there as they are shown at the Redford. That strip has great potential. Multicultural owned businesses lining E Warren will bring that strip back to life.

Will they be able to bring Grosse Pointers over to patronize E Warren Ave? That's the big question, at least in the short term.

Long term, will cosmetic bike lanes that don't connect to anything and a few new businesses be enough to bring in new residents and diversify the area?

This is where I grew up! The Alger Theatre is where I first saw a movie in a theatre. Drove by the area the other evening and saw so many changes along E. Warren. I will try to get back over there to look more closely at what's happening for the betterment of the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    This is where I grew up! The Alger Theatre is where I first saw a movie in a theatre. Drove by the area the other evening and saw so many changes along E. Warren. I will try to get back over there to look more closely at what's happening for the betterment of the neighborhood.
    Me too - Bedford and Munich - went to Clark [[which they are closing soon :[[) for K-7 and St. Matthew's for 8th grade and Notre Dame HW for high school.

The last movie I saw at the Alger was some comedy where some couples were in in a hotel room that somehow got set on fire when someone smashed the TV set. Still don't remember the name of the film - was in the mid-70's - 1976 maybe. Still can't remember the name of that film.

Talk of movie theaters causes me to think about how few there are in the city compared to when I was born in 1946. By the mid 50s when I was permitted to go to neighborhood theaters by myself or with other kids, there were still quite a few, but the decline had already begun. This is a listing of Detroit movie houses in May of 1946.Name:  May1946MG.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  318.4 KB

Probably the closest theatre to the Alger was the Vogue Theatre... on Harper, between Whittier and Cadieux, opened in 1937, closed in 1977, and torn down soon after. It had 1,460 seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For so many years we were hearing “but what about the neighborhoods.” It’s nice to see that some of the neighborhoods are getting much needed attention.

It would be nice if someone with deep pockets could get the Alger really fixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    For so many years we were hearing “but what about the neighborhoods.” It’s nice to see that some of the neighborhoods are getting much needed attention.

It would be nice if someone with deep pockets could get the Alger really fixed up.
    That depend on who the owner is or are and if they are willing to sell the building. The owner[[s) maybe hold on to it maybe for tax purposes and have no intention on opening it as a theatre again. You know, the same mentality that former owners of the buildings on Woodward's Merchant Row, The Wurlitzer and other buildings before so called outsiders or Millionaires had to purchase them and brought those buildings back to life. Detroiters should not complain about not having the same retail in downtown detroit in their neighborhoods but when someone with deep pockets who is not the right color want to invest or put stores in the neighborhoods then some residents in the neighborhood cry Gentrification

That strip of Warren is mostly in shambles. Will take a lot of capital and effort to bring it back. Could this area be a candidate for some type of tax incentive to spur development? Maybe some streetscape investments like the ones on Livernois or East Jefferson will do the trick? Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    That strip of Warren is mostly in shambles. Will take a lot of capital and effort to bring it back. Could this area be a candidate for some type of tax incentive to spur development? Maybe some streetscape investments like the ones on Livernois or East Jefferson will do the trick? Just thinking out loud.
    Streetscape had already been done

13. Default

We lived in the first house of of E Warren on Coplin St., East of E Warren.
    We had to abandon the place because of break ins, living room window being smashed in a few times and right off of a busy street and across from Servite Catholic School now Colin Powel High School, which has been abandoned as well.