Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Sheffield for Mayor?

Detroit Free Press had reported that Council President Mary Sheffield had threw her hat in the ring for Mayor. I guess she is getting an early start

Council President Mary Sheffield gets a head start in the 2025 race for mayor of Detroit
    Detroit City Councilwoman Mary Sheffield isn't waiting for Mike Duggan to make up his mind. She created a mayoral campaign and has a Wisconsin political consultant on board.

I feel like she has a solid base of support in the city and could do well, sans Duggan. IMO, it would be a massive step down in terms of quality of leadership of the city, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I feel like she has a solid base of support in the city and could do well, sans Duggan. IMO, it would be a massive step down in terms of quality of leadership of the city, though.

I agree. It would be a setback for the direction of Detroit. She ran unopposed her last two terms on council. It only would probably take one strong opponent who could give one good debate to her and she would be through

"Sheffield, who has cultivated a populist image since joining the council, said her priorities as council president would include reparations for Black Detroiters victimized by urban renewal and finding hundreds of millions of dollars for Detroiters who paid more property taxes than they should have. The council created a Reparations Task Force, but there has been little news about where the money for the overtaxed Detroiters would come from."

That's all I need to hear. NOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    That's all I need to hear. NOPE!
    They both may be shady characters, but going from Duggan to Sheffield would be going from sublime to ludicrous. He's a doer, but even Duggan would be unable to deliver reparations. NOPE!

If Duggan does not run, she is the most qualified politician to run for the Mayor of Detroit. The reparations issue is a non-starter with me. Politically, it's a good move for her to have made to increase her supporter base. No way to "pay" reparations. It's her only drawback for me. The property tax "reparations" is a legitimate cause to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If Duggan does not run, she is the most qualified politician to run for the Mayor of Detroit. The reparations issue is a non-starter with me. Politically, it's a good move for her to have made to increase her supporter base. No way to "pay" reparations. It's her only drawback for me. The property tax "reparations" is a legitimate cause to pursue.
    I agree. I think that if she's her own person running for Mayor then she probably would be good. If she is just fulfilling someone else's dreams or ambition then she might fall by the wayside as Colemsn Young Jr did or be a disaster while in office as Kwame Kilpatrick turned out to be. She should lead in getting residents back the money that they lost in the over payment of taxes. Find more money to give Police and fire personnel raises. Reparations is something her handler[[s) is advising her to make her platform.

Duggan 2026

Make Detroit Great Again.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The fact that, according to this article, it's the first thing she mentions when asked about her platform is concerning nonetheless. And the other mention is also "giving away" money. No mention of infrastructure, growing the population, improving or expanding city services, bringing in development, all of which actually require thought to get done...

"Vote for me and I'll give you money". This city needs to demand better.

I think that if she know how to juggle looking out for corporate as well as the residents she could make a good Mayor. Leave reparations talk out of your campaign

That kind of campaign talk is what got a lot of people elected in California and other states,it’s irrelevant that it is unobtainable.

The promise of a free pot of gold in every kettle is hard to beat.