Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dream Cruise?

Default Dream Cruise?

Once again Detroit is left out of the biggest car culture event in the world. The Woodward Dream Cruise. Sure there's a makeshift car event at Palmer Park. However that was just an afterthought resulting from the Dream Cruise not extending south of 8 mile road. It's really a joke against Detroit especially to the rest of the world. One of the biggest single day car event in the world and the main city where cars were produced is left out of the loop?

The Cruise isn't based on where cars were made, it's based on where kids cruised them back in the 50/60's. From Ted's to the Totem Pole

This topic hasn't come up before has it? Oh yeah. Last year and the year before and the year before....
    If Detroit is a joke to certain people in "the rest of the world" it's not because of the boundary of the dream cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Once again Detroit is left out of the biggest car culture event in the world. The Woodward Dream Cruise. One of the biggest single day car event in the world and the main city where cars were produced is left out of the loop?
    We get this thread every year.

Anyone that has ever cruised will know why Detroit isn't conducive to cruising.

I live two miles west of Woodward near Quarton. I'm out there all the time, I would say there was more pre cruise cruising this year than ever before. I have not been out there yet today, but last night was completely jammed. Bars and restaurants and stores in that area are not complaining, people are spending money and a lot are in from out of town.

All summer people have been friendly - the tuner guys and the classic car guys and the low rider guys and the in between have been getting along fine.

Dream Cruise events have happened in the city from time to time and were well attended as far as I know.

What I find amazing is that these suburbs can have this event without a Target store on Woodward! Surly if Dan Gilbert would build one on Woodward in Detroit he could steel the whole cruise and move it to the city! It’s plainly obvious cruisers need a lot of coolers and lawn chairs… Why hasn’t he done this already? A Target store is the answer.

This has been discussed to death... Detroit has two miles of Woodward frontage south of 8 mile which are not conductive for cruising. Two miles of cemetery, fenced off back yards, woods, and seedy/abandoned retail. Then you hit Highland Park, which no one in their right mind would want to cruise through at less than 45mph. The reason the dream cruise stops in Ferndale is obvious to anyone with eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    This has been discussed to death... Detroit has two miles of Woodward frontage south of 8 mile which are not conductive for cruising. Two miles of cemetery, fenced off back yards, woods, and seedy/abandoned retail. Then you hit Highland Park, which no one in their right mind would want to cruise through at less than 45mph. The reason the dream cruise stops in Ferndale is obvious to anyone with eyes.
    We're all in agreement then. We'll revisit this next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    What I find amazing is that these suburbs can have this event without a Target store on Woodward!
    I take it that you were never around during the Woodward or Gratiot cruise era's? They lasted well into the 80s. The nice thing about both Woodward and Gratiot north of 8 Mile is that you can make a U-Turn at any boulevard turnaround. Doing so in Detroit becomes difficult.

There were also many fast food and pizza carryout locations along those [north of 8 Mile] thoroughfares... that cruisers frequented... nothing remotely to do with a Target. There were also some parking lots at strip malls that were stop off locations for cruiser interactions.

Old timers who have vintage cruise cars have zero interest in having a cruise re-enactment in Detroit. They want to revisit the locations where they cruised in the olden days. Period.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-20-23 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I take it that you were never around during the Woodward or Gratiot cruise era's? They lasted well into the 80s. The nice thing about both Woodward and Gratiot north of 8 Mile is that you can make a U-Turn at any boulevard turnaround. Doing so in Detroit becomes difficult.

There were also many fast food and pizza carryout locations along those [north of 8 Mile] thoroughfares... that cruisers frequented... nothing remotely to do with a Target. There were also some parking lots at strip malls that were stop off locations for cruiser interactions.

Old timers who have vintage cruise cars have zero interest in having a cruise re-enactment in Detroit. They want to revisit the locations where they cruised in the olden days. Period.
    It was sarcasm Gistok. Not very good sarcasm it would appear. A Target store has been considerably overrated on this forum as some sort of magical elixir if only Dan Gilbert would build one…

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I remember cruisers cruising Gratiot in the 90s on Fridays and Saturday evenings. Light cruising were still happening on Gratiot in Roseville until around 10 years ago when the bowling alley where crusers met closed and torn down making way for a fitness center

I remember cruisers cruising Gratiot in the 90s on Fridays and Saturday evenings. Light cruising were still happening on Gratiot in Roseville until around 10 years ago when the bowling alley where crusers met closed and torn down making way for a fitness center
    Sorry... ABetterDetroit... my sarcasm radar wasn't working...

Yes, the Gratiot cruising lasted a long time. Roseville so hated the cruising, that to this day they refuse to participate in a Gratiot Dream Cruise... so they happen just in Eastpointe [[in June), and also Clinton Twp. [[in August).

Total duration 1 hour, 32 minutes:

Watch WXYZ-TV's Woodward Dream Cruise special
    Hundreds of thousands of people converged on Woodward Ave. Saturday for the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. WXYZ is the proud television partner of the Dream Cruise, and check out our special showing off the sights and sounds from the Dream Cruise.

I remember cruisers cruising Gratiot in the 90s on Fridays and Saturday evenings.
    I can verify cruising was very much active in the mid 1990s on Gratiot. People would congregate at the bowling alley, but also Galaxy, Dmitri's [[I think that's what it was called back then) the Star Gratiot, and just about every other diner or coffee shop that was open at the time. You used to be able to hang out at Macomb Mall but security started cracking down IIRC. Routes were variable, some would head all the way down to Mt Clements and all the way back to 7-mile. But most would stick to, roughly, 11 mile to 15 mile.

I recall that during the mid-1990s to the early 2000s, there was a trend of people cruising down Eureka Avenue. This would typically begin at Bishop Park in Wyandotte and conclude at the parking lot shared by Blockbuster and Burger King in Southgate.

Do they still do that?

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I recall that during the mid-1990s to the early 2000s, there was a trend of people cruising down Eureka Avenue. This would typically begin at Bishop Park in Wyandotte and conclude at the parking lot shared by Blockbuster and Burger King in Southgate.

Do they still do that?
    I don't think that's still an active cruise route, though it did cross Fort Street, which itself is now home to its own annual summer cruise event [[not as big as the Woodward one though).

I agree with Stasu1213 that it is a slap in the face to Detroit that the Woodward DreamCruise route doesn't at least dip south of 8 Mile and into Detroit proper. Despite having cemeteries on the west side of Woodward, south of 8 Mile, you still have the former Michigan State Fairgrounds where food trucks, parking, and porta-potties could be set up to accommodate those lining up the street to see the Dream Cruise. You also have parking and restaurants in the Gateway Shoppes shopping center.

There are two Michigan left turn lanes that can be used just before State Fair street that cruisers could use to get around, if they're afraid to go too deep into Detroit, and three just north of Seven Mile, and I'm sure that Detroit Police would have a presence there.

Also, I've heard the argument that cruisers didn't cruise in Detroit. Well, to be more inclusive, it could take the dip I'm talking about. I haven't been and probably will never go to the Cruise because it doesn't come in Detroit. If it did, I probably would. That's my two cents.
    Last edited by royce; August-21-23 at 04:52 PM.

Royce... take a drive along Woodward from 7 Mile to where it overpasses 8 Mile... west side NOTHING... east side... you pass a closed fast food, an almost abandoned mega-church, an animal hospital, a liquor store, an auto collision, a bowling alley, a car wash, a dialysis center, then starting at State Fair... about a 1/4 mile dead zone with nothing on either side... and finally a transit hub... before Woodward goes over 8 Mile.

Check out the drive...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4320...8192?entry=ttu

The cruise has been going on for 28 years... I'm sure there's been plenty of discussion about bringing it below 8 Mile. I don't believe it even currently goes down to 8 Mile. Due to the Woodward Bridge over 8 Mile, I don't think that the cruise goes much below 8 1/2 Mile. Maybe taking that last 1 1/2 mile drive down to 7 Mile answers why it has not been included...
    Last edited by Gistok; August-21-23 at 05:38 PM.

Royce, cruising is a misnomer.

It isn't about cruising. It's about parking.

Cruisers drive slow to find their friends parked along the road, or perhaps to find others with similar cars [[say, late 60's Mopars). Then you stop and chat. Perhaps for the entire evening.

There's no roadside parking in the Detroit sections of Woodward. So no reason to cruise by there. Why would you? To drive past no one and look at nothing?

Look at the sections of Woodward north of 13 mile. The businesses are set back from the road, and there is angled parking behind the curb. Also many small parking lots where clubs can gather. So the people driving can cruise by slowly until they see a clique they can relate to, and pull in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Royce, cruising is a misnomer.

It isn't about cruising. It's about parking.

Cruisers drive slow to find their friends parked along the road, or perhaps to find others with similar cars [[say, late 60's Mopars). Then you stop and chat. Perhaps for the entire evening.

There's no roadside parking in the Detroit sections of Woodward. So no reason to cruise by there. Why would you? To drive past no one and look at nothing?

Look at the sections of Woodward north of 13 mile. The businesses are set back from the road, and there is angled parking behind the curb. Also many small parking lots where clubs can gather. So the people driving can cruise by slowly until they see a clique they can relate to, and pull in.
    Rocket I disagree with you. There are plenty of places to park just south of the overpass. Park in front of the cemetery along Woodwsrd. Park on the outer edges of the parking lot of the Gateway shopping center where local Detroit vendors could line and sell their goods. One of the big three could have a spot in the Palmer Park area or have events in Palmer Park. Dead zones are better for layovers because cruisers are not hogging up strip mall parking that could be used for customers patronizing businesses. The one reason why I think that the Dream Cruise doesn't want to include any parts of Detroit in its cruise is probably due to greed or a disagreement on how much of the piece of the pie Detroit want from the Dream Cruise. Each city probably along the Woodward corridor from Ferndale north to Pontiac probably get something from the Dream Cruise franchise for it to run through their respective cities. Detroit is probably asking for too much from the franchise just for the Dream Cruise to even travel south to the Gateway Shopping Center or to Palmer Park area itself. Just imagine the activities that could had been held at Palmer Park not only from stages of Chrysler, GM and Ford all set up at Palmer Park or one having a stage at the Statedair Grounds and the other at Palmer Park. Even Ford could have it's set up at the closed Ford Factory on Woodward in Highland Park. I think that it's an excuse that cruisers are afraid of having their cars stolen if they Cruise south of 8 mile road. Many participants stay with their cars at all times and the ones that are uneasy don't have to travel and set up their little layover spots in Detroit. I think power play or Detroit officials are asking to much of the franchise pie for the Dream Cruise to travel south to Detroit

Rocket I disagree with you. There are plenty of places to park just south of the overpass. Park in front of the cemetery along Woodwsrd.
    You mean parallel parked, IN THE STREET ? That's not going to work. People park in lots, so they can safely walk around the cars and check them out. If you're parallel parking on a main thoroughfare, that's very dangerous. It also means the cars are spread much further apart, so you get half as much looking and chatting per mile of walking.

Park on the outer edges of the parking lot of the Gateway shopping center where local Detroit vendors could line and sell their goods.
    That's not even Detroit. That's Highland Park, and those two shopping centers have an horrific crime rate. People wanting to cruise aren't going to park there and get out of their cars, then try to fend off the addicts begging for money. And they'd be afraid of leaving their classic cars, which don't have the same level of locks and security of modern cars. Also, when cruising, you generally leave the windows down, doors unlocked and perhaps even the hood open. People are comfortable doing that in Birmingham and Bloomfield, but not Highland Park.

......... one reason why I think that the Dream Cruise doesn't want to include any parts of Detroit in its cruise is probably due to greed or a disagreement on how much of the piece of the pie Detroit want from the Dream Cruise. Each city probably along the Woodward corridor from Ferndale north to Pontiac probably get something from the Dream Cruise franchise for it to run through their respective cities.
    So far as I know, the Dream Cruise organizers don't collect huge fees and then pay cities money. The cities provide the police service at their own expense. The cities figure it's worth it to a degree because of all the money the businesses in the area will make from attendees. The bed & breakfasts, restaurants, fast food carry out joints, etc.

Detroit has almost none of that. If you are South of 8 mile, where are you going to eat? State Fair is about the only thing. And there's not much other than an Applebee's.

So Detroit would be providing hundreds of police officers for security and traffic enforcement, and it's business owners would be making next to nothing. Not sure if that's in Detroit's best interest. A food-truck palooza at Foreman Mills might be a cool thing. But then they'd need to find a way to get cruisers to leave the heart of the cruise and head 6 miles south to get there.

And on the cruise Saturday, driving the 1 mile from 12 to 13 can take more than an hour. So cruisers are loathe to leave the cruise area, and then have to fight their way back in later. Way better to just buy a pizza from one of the local spots along the road. Some even sell pizzas curbside. I know you couldn't pay me to leave the heart of the cruise. IF I go at all, I go in once, and stay until my back hurts, then leave. I'm not about to leave and come back just for food.

I'm certain that if you were to buy a classic car and cruise it for a few years, you'd get where everyone is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    You mean parallel parked, IN THE STREET ? That's not going to work. People park in lots, so they can safely walk around the cars and check them out. If you're parallel parking on a main thoroughfare, that's very dangerous. It also means the cars are spread much further apart, so you get half as much looking and chatting per mile of walking.

That's not even Detroit. That's Highland Park, and those two shopping centers have an horrific crime rate. People wanting to cruise aren't going to park there and get out of their cars, then try to fend off the addicts begging for money. And they'd be afraid of leaving their classic cars, which don't have the same level of locks and security of modern cars. Also, when cruising, you generally leave the windows down, doors unlocked and perhaps even the hood open. People are comfortable doing that in Birmingham and Bloomfield, but not Highland Park.

So far as I know, the Dream Cruise organizers don't collect huge fees and then pay cities money. The cities provide the police service at their own expense. The cities figure it's worth it to a degree because of all the money the businesses in the area will make from attendees. The bed & breakfasts, restaurants, fast food carry out joints, etc.

Detroit has almost none of that. If you are South of 8 mile, where are you going to eat? State Fair is about the only thing. And there's not much other than an Applebee's.

So Detroit would be providing hundreds of police officers for security and traffic enforcement, and it's business owners would be making next to nothing. Not sure if that's in Detroit's best interest. A food-truck palooza at Foreman Mills might be a cool thing. But then they'd need to find a way to get cruisers to leave the heart of the cruise and head 6 miles south to get there.

And on the cruise Saturday, driving the 1 mile from 12 to 13 can take more than an hour. So cruisers are loathe to leave the cruise area, and then have to fight their way back in later. Way better to just buy a pizza from one of the local spots along the road. Some even sell pizzas curbside. I know you couldn't pay me to leave the heart of the cruise. IF I go at all, I go in once, and stay until my back hurts, then leave. I'm not about to leave and come back just for food.

I'm certain that if you were to buy a classic car and cruise it for a few years, you'd get where everyone is coming from.
    Many of the businesses along the Woodward corridor close the day of the Dream Cruise. Had you traveled Woodward north of 15 mile rd during the dream cruise? Nothing but dead space but attendees sit in their lawn chairs on the grass. No restaurants for a mile or two in that area.

Rocket, you've got the Gateway Shopping Center confused with the Model T Shopping Center. Gateway is on 8 Mile and Woodward and the Model T Shopping Center is on Woodward in Highland Park. As far as I have read in this thread, no one has suggested that the Dream Cruise go that far down into the City [[Detroit and Highland Park). Someone suggested having some Dream Cruise activities in Palmer Park, but don't think stasu1213 or anybody else was suggesting going into Highland Park. I suggested that the Dream Cruise take a "dip" into Detroit, mainly up to State Fair Street and back towards 8 Mile and Ferndale. I think that route would be a start.
    Last edited by royce; August-24-23 at 01:24 AM.

What fascinates me about the Woodward Dream Cruise is how such a thing can be both so organized and disorganized simultaneously.

Am I the only one who notices that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    What fascinates me about the Woodward Dream Cruise is how such a thing can be both so organized and disorganized simultaneously.

Am I the only one who notices that?
    I think that it's more organized than disorganized. This is one of few events across the cross where people of unlike minds, culture, beliefs, and races could come together and enjoy a common interest. The car. There was never any reports of violence or at least major violence occurring at the Dream Cruise. Let's take the makeshift rag tag cruise that had occurred on Gratiot in Detroit two months ago. It had extended from I94 northward to 7 mile road on Gratiot. It was illegal, chaotic, violent, and also 3 to 4 people were shot. That's an example unorganized car show. Motorists had been cruising Woodward with their classic cars on the weekends since spring. Some had their cars parked on the side while others cruised up and down the strip. No reports of violence nor drifting and drag racing. Those things happen during meetups that occurs on Gratiot on the East and Tireman, Joy Road, River Rouge on the Westside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast