Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Ford trucks vanishing from Dearborn lots F-150, Raptor thefts escalate

Thefts of multiple vehicles fresh off the assembly lines has become a recurring story. The numbers are staggering and this just Ford and Dearborn. How difficult can it be to secure them and track them down? Especially with all the tattle tale electronics on vehicles these days?

Seemingly these heists have to include several players that would offer a lot of loose lips to catch the gangs.

Fifteen Ford F-150 pickups and high-performance Raptor trucks vanished from Dearborn holding lots within the first eight days of August — 10 of them stolen on Thursday alone.

A month earlier, Ford Motor Co. reported 22 F-150 trucks had gone missing from Dearborn holding lots, mostly Raptor models, according to police data obtained by the Detroit Free Press through the state Freedom of Information Act.

A lot of money is at stake: A 2023 Raptor starts at $76,775, not including fees and delivery charges. A Raptor R starts at $107,350. And the 2023 Ford F-150 ranges from $33,695 to $84,910, according to Ford.com.
    July is a high theft month in Dearborn

In 2022, Ford reported thefts of 127 pickups with the most stolen in July [[18), March/December [[16 each), April [[14) and June/November [[13 each). On top of the 127 trucks, Ford also lost a total of 20 other vehicles: Explorer, Mach-E, Edge and Lincoln Aviator and Navigator SUVs from its holding lots in Dearborn. A Navigator starts at $70,725, not including delivery costs and fees.

In 2023, Ford reported theft of 85 pickups with the most stolen in July [[23), early August [[15) and January [[13). On top of the F-150s, Ford reported the loss of four Mustangs [[and three non-Ford vehicles parked on-site). A new Mustang starts at $27,770.

Ford is currently on track this year to exceed its truck theft rate from Dearborn holding lots in 2022, based on data reviewed by the Free Press.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca.../70564466007/#

Within the article cited above I noticed a link to an excellent earlier article by the same reporter, Phoebe Wall Howard, detailing how the vehicles are laundered and the trail of misery they create for the little guys that get stuck legally buying the stolen properties.

A lot of blame gets laid on Ford for failing to report the losses, sometimes for months.

The thieves won't get far before the trucks break down.

Probably inside jobs.

I predict theft of ICE vehicles in general to increase sharply once electric cars are really rammed down our throats. New electric cars as well, for their batteries.

The lot along Mercury Drive in Dearborn has no fencing and rarely do I see security. Is Ford under the belief that a fence won't stop anybody from stealing the vehicles? Ideally a cinderblock wall would deter most thieves, but maybe Ford is concerned about the aesthetics of a brick wall. Why security doesn't patrol more often is a mystery to me?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The lot along Mercury Drive in Dearborn has no fencing and rarely do I see security. Is Ford under the belief that a fence won't stop anybody from stealing the vehicles? Ideally a cinderblock wall would deter most thieves, but maybe Ford is concerned about the aesthetics of a brick wall. Why security doesn't patrol more often is a mystery to me?
    Up until now, theft probably wasn't an issue in that part of town. A friend works at Stellantis and tells me it happens there as well. Vehicle and parts theft seems to be on the rise again. With all the tech available these days, you would think there was some way to track or disable vehicles waiting for shipment.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-16-23 at 05:02 AM.

In the second article there are many instances where Ford did not report and or did not know vehicles were stolen. "Police documents show delays of weeks and months of Ford reporting thefts or, in some cases, never reporting at all."

That befuddles me. I can see Ford being pilfered of nuts and bolts or maybe even a rearview mirror or catalytic converters, but $60,000 vehicles? One would think they would have a roll call every day.

The Stellantis lot at Jefferson/Conner/Kercheval has an electrified fence.

Thieves know the justice system is so bogged down right now that even if they do get caught they'll get a slap on the wrist and be right back out on the street. Property crime was up 27% in 2022 and I'm sure it won't be going down in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    In the second article there are many instances where Ford did not report and or did not know vehicles were stolen. "Police documents show delays of weeks and months of Ford reporting thefts or, in some cases, never reporting at all."

That befuddles me. I can see Ford being pilfered of nuts and bolts or maybe even a rearview mirror or catalytic converters, but $60,000 vehicles? One would think they would have a roll call every day.
    In Orlando with the rental cars,when you turn it in it goes on the back lot for up to 60 days,so if it has not been cleaned and not ready for rental it is out of the system or in limbo,used to be able to kick an employee a few bucks and grab one for 30 days.

During the pandemic 1000s that were out on rental came back in,they had no room to put them so they parked them in large numbers on any empty land anywhere,lots of those went missing.

Somebody knew the system and that they would not be discovered missing by Ford and exploited it.

Ford would have had to pay somebody to babysit them and the insurance will pay them for the stolen ones,so they are not out of pocket.

They are making more money off of them being stolen then it was costing them to store them because insurance will pay them the $60k so either way the trucks were sold.

Actually probably more because they did not have to ship them or lose their cut to the dealership so they make full profits.
    Last edited by Richard; August-16-23 at 10:29 AM.

This story shows amazing incompetence of Fords ability to keep track of valuable production inventory.

^ it’s Ford,never was much for keeping track of valuable production for a long time.

But like I posted,they have insurance,so they lost nothing and got paid retail.

And this morning a Jeep was stolen from there, went speeding up Jefferson to Kerch and smashed into some guys garden on Kerch and Burns, destroying part of his 49 yr old garden. Still with the manufacturer's plastic on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Thieves know the justice system is so bogged down right now that even if they do get caught they'll get a slap on the wrist and be right back out on the street. Property crime was up 27% in 2022 and I'm sure it won't be going down in 2023.

This. The jails are overrun with perps. It's why judges are getting heat for letting them out with a reduced sentence, no evidence, or throw it out all together.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    That won't stop them. They just blow through the fence.

Caught. Although this seems different from the theft in the first post of this thread which mentions F-150's. This involves Bronco's, seeming to mean it was a different theft.

Amazingly the perps are all kids from 19 to 21. It would seem like someone older would have to be behind things, but with mobile technology, who knows.

From today's Free Press...
    16 stolen Ford Broncos recovered
    Seven face felony charges in the $1.7 million thefts from Canton lot

CANTON TWP. - Seven young adults, ages 19 to 21, are facing felony charges in connection with the theft of 16 2023 Ford Bronco Raptors valued at $1.76 million, police said.

The seven suspects were charged in Plymouth's 35th District Court Aug. 16 after being arrested the day before by police officers from Canton, Northville Township, Novi, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield and the Oakland County Sheriff's Office. Their next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 25.

This is probably an inside job as same as Stellantis. For years cars and trucks had been at these parking locations unmolested until 5 to 10 years ago when this trend had started

Maybe with luck they'll turn into Ram TRXs and be worth something.

Maybe with luck theyll turn into Ram TRXs and be worth something.