Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

[QUOTE=sirrealone;638100]Remember, they clawed their way back and were one shot away from winning the opener in Miami. They also had an 18 point lead that they squandered when they let off the gas against Portland earlier this week. They're a young team and as they mature, you'd expect that they'll start coming out on the right side of those games.

They're also missing three guys [[Bogdonavich, Morris, and Livers) that they should count on to make baskets when they return from injury.

30 wins would almost double their win total from last year and seems a realistic target for this team.[/QUOTE

30 wins is a reasonable number, maybe a little low if they stay healthy. I don't think seeing light at the end of the tunnel is going to get anybody excited though.

Hung in there at home against a good Phoenix team - for one quarter.

Even though they're playing terrible, I find the Pistons interesting to watch, but this season is quickly turning into a train wreck. If this turns into another less then 20-win season I'm going to say blow it up again. Get rid of everybody including the people that cook the hot dogs. With all their high draft picks, this is not acceptable.

This team is a mess, top to bottom. Never seen so many air balls thrown up by an NBA team. Cunningham looks lost when under any kind of pressure. Thompson is rebounding but not doing much else. Ivey is down to a few garbage minutes at the end of each quarter. Wiseman was a terrible pick-up. If they hadn't picked up Knox again, who went 8 of 9, the score would have been much worse - and Chicago is also a bad team. All you have to do to stop the Pistons is clog the lanes since nobody can hit an outside shot.
    Last edited by 401don; November-13-23 at 12:48 PM.

Down by 30 after 3 to a mediocre Raptors team. Safe to say number 11 in a row is in the books. Monty got 80 million to coach this team. Safe to say he feels he was ripped off.

This is actually comical - They might be worse than last year. You would think with CC back this year there would be some improvement even with the other injuries.

They seem to have some good players who are sort of interesting to watch but the sum of the parts has been terrible.

I think CC had an injured foot when they drafted him, and he never had surgery because he just didn't give a shit. I doubt that injury suddenly happened.

This team is a joke. 12-game losing streak after the coach and his star Jokic were ejected for arguing foul calls. They're worse with Monty than with Casey, and I never would have thought that. It's hard to preach patience with this team after 3 years. I get that their key players are injured, but they still make rookie mistakes like unforced turnovers. They've dug a hole they'll never recover from. I know Gores is squirming in his seat thinking about that 78 million he invested in Williams.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-21-23 at 07:45 AM.

Pistons season is already over. They are the same ole' team since last year. Ball hogging, can't get rebounds, so many forced turnovers. There is NO team, only superstars playing the like Harlem Globetrotters while playing Lebron James at the same time.
    Last edited by Danny; November-21-23 at 01:12 PM.

They need to replace Weaver now. He put this team together and it's obvious waiting for a couple of veterans to get healthy, giving the young core more time together, etc. are not going to fix the fact that it was bad decisions by the gm that caused this mess. You can't get a new gm during the season so you probably have to have Tellem pick a temporary gm to finish out the season. They need an experienced gm with a track record and that requires poaching someone from another organization.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They need to replace Weaver now. He put this team together and it's obvious waiting for a couple of veterans to get healthy, giving the young core more time together, etc. are not going to fix the fact that it was bad decisions by the gm that caused this mess. You can't get a new gm during the season so you probably have to have Tellem pick a temporary gm to finish out the season. They need an experienced gm with a track record and that requires poaching someone from another organization.

All great points. But I seriously doubt Weaver gets canned, this early in the season. They're going to wait to see how their injured pieces fit together upon return. They've dug themselves too deep of a hole to challenge for even a play-in spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    All great points. But I seriously doubt Weaver gets canned, this early in the season. They're going to wait to see how their injured pieces fit together upon return. They've dug themselves too deep of a hole to challenge for even a play-in spot.
    I'm sure you're right. I just want him gone before any more important decisions are made. I don't want him making trades at the deadline. I've already mentioned this before but it's crystal clear now that this young core won't work. Two vets returning will help spread the floor and give them a few victories but it's not going to fix the mess that is a core of young players, none of whom can hit a jump shot.

As I watch this team I get the feeling of watching the Lions at the start of last season. They have tons of raw talent, are in the fight in almost all games, rarely get blown out, but are incapable pushing things over the line and finishing.

Like the Lions were, they are particularly confused on defense, losing the other teams players. On offense they are turnover-plagued and, with injured veterans sidelined, Bogdanovic in particular, have no three point game and lose their poise.

Nonetheless, this is a far more entertaining and exciting team to watch, Ausar Thompson in particular who is all over the place and putting up rookie numbers rivaling hall of famers. Just don't let him shoot threes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    As I watch this team I get the feeling of watching the Lions at the start of last season. They have tons of raw talent, are in the fight in almost all games, rarely get blown out, but are incapable pushing things over the line and finishing.

Like the Lions were, they are particularly confused on defense, losing the other teams players. On offense they are turnover-plagued and, with injured veterans sidelined, Bogdanovic in particular, have no three point game and lose their poise.

Nonetheless, this is a far more entertaining and exciting team to watch, Ausar Thompson in particular who is all over the place and putting up rookie numbers rivaling hall of famers. Just don't let him shoot threes.
    I wish I could agree because I want this group, at least 3 or 4 of them to be good since we're stuck with them for now but I just don't see it. Thompson is averaging 11 points in 30 min./game while shooting a horrible percentage. They haven't really been in any games down the stretch recently.
    Last edited by 401don; November-25-23 at 04:54 PM.

Last year's record was the result of a chronic inability to defend, a woeful inability to shoot 3p and stretch the floor and Cunningham's injury. It's amazing that this year's team is stunningly worse even with Cunningham's return. The 12 game losing streak does not lie. Losses haven't been flukey or unlucky. Last year's problems still exist. No change. No improvement. Injuries are not an excuse. Other marginal clubs have had injuries to peripheral players like we have and have not played themselves out of the playoffs before December. Our roster is filled with healthy lottery picks yet the losses pile up and winning might be years away. Sadly, it all might have to get torn down again [hopefully we won't keep missing on the lottery picks].

• 14 straight playoff game losses...
    • won a grand total of 4 games since the trade deadline back in February...
    • lost 14 straight games, their latest being a horrendous showing against a 2-14 Wizards team...

...and the Pistons now have the worst record in the NBA, 2-15.

This is, without a doubt, a contender for the worst Pistons team ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    • 14 straight playoff game losses...
    • won a grand total of 4 games since the trade deadline back in February...
    • lost 14 straight games, their latest being a horrendous showing against a 2-14 Wizards team...

...and the Pistons now have the worst record in the NBA, 2-15.

This is, without a doubt, a contender for the worst Pistons team ever.
    But they are entertaining! [[sorry Lowell that was an unfair shot)

But they are entertaining! [[sorry Lowell that was an unfair shot)
    What? Are you telling me there isn't a pony under all that horse sh*t?

They definitely scraped bottom last night. Brings back memories.
    Name:  loins.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  52.7 KB

What? Are you telling me there isn't a pony under all that horse sh*t?

They definitely scraped bottom last night. Brings back memories.
    Name:  loins.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  52.7 KB
    Somebody asked Monty if they hit bottom about a week ago. Smartly, he didn't answer with a yes. It may be a while yet.

Somebody asked Monty if they hit bottom about a week ago. Smartly, he didn't answer with a yes. It may be a while yet.

And tonight, they go to MSG and face the Knicks, with a 16th straight loss, looking them squarely in the face. Nobody wants to be the team that helps them break that streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And tonight, they go to MSG and face the Knicks, with a 16th straight loss, looking them squarely in the face. Nobody wants to be the team that helps them break that streak.
    I watched the 1st quarter last night out of curiosity because they're not on tv too often in my area. They have all kinds of other problems but a bad college team doesn't miss that many open shots. Clearly some of it is in their heads. They've missed before they shoot.

Some not-so-fun-for-the-Pistons stats for 401don from today's Free Press. How bad are the Pistons? They're so bad that...

Weaver, hired as general manager in 2020 and given a clandestine contract extension in 2022, has overseen losing that has surpassed the Vitale era for the most consecutive losses in a single season in team history. That includes a current franchise record 16 straight losses with no obvious end in sight.

The Pistons went 7-36 from Jan. 1 to the end of last season, and are an NBA-worst 2-17 [[.105 win percentage) this season. Add it up and they're 9-53 in 2023 over 62 games.

The Pistons are an astounding 4-40 in their past 44 games [[.090 win percentage) since mid-February, over half of an NBA season. They have three double digit losing streaks in that span. At that snail of a win pace, they'd project to win 7.45 games over an 82-game sample. The NBA record for fewest wins in an 82-game season is nine by the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers [[9-73, for a .110 win percentage). The Pistons, at 2-17, are on pace for 8.63 wins.

Some not-so-fun-for-the-Pistons stats for 401don from today's Free Press. How bad are the Pistons? They're so bad that...
    Just hoping for a win before my birthday. It's in early Feb.
    Detroit was the only city I can remember where all 4 teams were in the toilet and in full rebuild mode at the same time. At least the other 3 appear to have finally turned the corner.
    Last edited by 401don; December-02-23 at 12:08 PM.

This team has left me speechless. They're the laughingstock of the basketball world. It should be impossible to lose 18 games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    This team has left me speechless. They're the laughingstock of the basketball world. It should be impossible to lose 18 games in a row.
    I said all along they were a bad shooting team but their percentage on 3's is ridiculous. Literally any decent small college team would shoot better. Still, as you say, any team should have a hot night once in a while and meet up with an exhausted, bored opponent. Maybe by January.

It they changed the rules to make the game length only three quarters, after which they seem to fall apart, they might have a better record. They cannot push games over the line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast