Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    IMO;
    ...2nd & 3rd string requires vast improvement [[Aug 29th+)
    Don't these games determine which players stay on the practice squad v. which are released?
    P.S. Based on performance to date, IME Jamo would go to the practice squad but we won't his destination until after the suspension. I hope it doesn't happen, but he could be the Lions' next D'Andre Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Don't these games determine which players stay on the practice squad v. which are released?
    P.S. Based on performance to date, IME Jamo would go to the practice squad but we won't his destination until after the suspension. I hope it doesn't happen, but he could be the Lions' next D'Andre Swift.
    There are a few things to unpack here. First, all players who don’t make the 53 man roster are “released.” The league sometimes calls them “cut” this time of year but it effectively is the same thing. Second, any player assigned to the practice squad must clear waivers. Third, if the Lions do release Jamo they eat the final 3 years of his 4 year deal, 7 Mill in dead cap this year. In other words, it is still expensive to throw in the towel on him considering he’s still on a rookie deal. Last, I think if the phone rang and someone wanted to give up a 4th rounder like they received for Swift at this point in Jamo’s career, I would assume that Brad Holmes would be listening. That would solve the dead cap problem and free up money to sign the next best available that could play immediately. Considering he has hardly played in the league, is injured and starting a 6 game suspension my guess is the chances of that phone ringing for Jamo are about zero.

Nothing personal Henry, but after reading you for a few years on Lions threads it seems you think the practice squad is some sort of assignment that the Lions can use to send poor performing players to as some sort of punishment for playing bad or those players in need of a attitude adjustment. That’s just not how NFL roster rules work at all.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-20-23 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Nothing personal Henry, but after reading you for a few years on Lions threads it seems you think the practice squad is some sort of assignment that the Lions can use to send poor performing players to as some sort of punishment for playing bad or those players in need of a attitude adjustment.
    AFAIK the practice squad is there for players to improve their skills, and for management to get replacements for injured players. Nothing personal either, but IME Jamo needs a place where he can learn to catch the football and run routes.

AFAIK the practice squad is there for players to improve their skills, and for management to get replacements for injured players. Nothing personal either, but IME Jamo needs a place where he can learn to catch the football and run routes.
    Then it won’t be Detroit. Simple as that if he’s cut. We’re talking about a guy who got a 10M signing bonus, not some rookie desperate to make it in the league. As a free agent he will try somewhere else. Practice squad is paid under a weekly scale. No contracts. Any team can sign any one of those guys if they put them on the 53 man roster. Who do you want to benefit here, Jamo or the Lions? The Lions paid him up front because he was the 12th pick overall. If you think he needs to go then you have to hang some of the blame on Brad Holmes for drafting his ass 16 months ago.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-20-23 at 08:49 PM.

Bridgewater looked confused, slow and generally surprised by the size of the football.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Bridgewater looked confused, slow and generally surprised by the size of the football.
    But he's a known quantity having proven himself over the years. I'm guessing he'll do fine in his backup role.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Give him a break. Bridgewater had only been here a week and can't possibly know the entire playbook. He gets thrown into the fire and on the very first play our second-string O-line fails and he gets bowled over by a sack. He got back in the saddle and carried on like nothing happened--and didn't throw an interception unlike...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Give him a break. Bridgewater had only been here a week and can't possibly know the entire playbook. He gets thrown into the fire and on the very first play our second-string O-line fails and he gets bowled over by a sack. He got back in the saddle and carried on like nothing happened--and didn't throw an interception unlike...

Bingo! He just got here and hasn't had much practice time. Either way, he's a massive upgrade over Sudfeld. He'll be fine. What I can't figure out is why is he wearing #50? Never saw a OB with a number that high.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-23-23 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What I can't figure out is why is he wearing #50? Never saw a OB with a number that high.
    It's just temporary. All the numbers in the allowable range [[0-19) for QBs are taken. Some should open up following roster cuts.

The Super Bowl in January will be here in Las Vegas. How I'd love to see the Lions in it, and thousands of Detroit fans here in Nevada. All spending tons of money, of course, so my real estate taxes remain very low. Thank you very much! [[Hey, just funnin')

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The Super Bowl in January will be here in Las Vegas. How I'd love to see the Lions in it, and thousands of Detroit fans here in Nevada. All spending tons of money, of course, so my real estate taxes remain very low. Thank you very much! [[Hey, just funnin')
    Lions won nine games last season, and all of sudden they're going to pay your taxes?

Lions won nine games last season, and all of sudden they're going to pay your taxes?
    Hey, could be! Real estate taxes here in Henderson [[LV 'burb) are so low I can't believe it after fleeing Detroit in '84! With all the money coming in for the '24 Super Bowl, I know it ain't gonna go up.

---second thought after posting that. I really don't mean to give a 'slap in the cheek' to my former neighbors and friends in DTW. But it's a completely different world out here in the Spring Mountains. Beats the dickens out of Mt. Elliott.

Curious to know everyone's projected wins/losses on this year's team.

I am saying 9-8; they win the NFC North, but will be bounced in the first round. Campbell and Holmes stay on for another season as this season showed some serious promise. Just afraid we are one/two injuries away from landing a first round bye.
    Last edited by warsaw7; August-24-23 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post

I am saying 9-8; they win the NFC North, but will be bounced in the first round. Campbell and Holmes stay on for another season as this season showed some serious promise. Just afraid we are one/two injuries away from landing a first round bye.

You're quite the pessimist aren't you? They'll be better than 9-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You're quite the pessimist aren't you? They'll be better than 9-8.
    I am trying to keep my optimism in check

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post

Vegas has their over/under for season wins at 9.5. I agree with 9 wins. My problem at the moment is everyone is convinced our rookie class will take us to the promised land. I see them as unknowns, and in the NFL that usually ends up being a negative. As an example, rookie RB Gibbs has yet to take an NFL hit. We've had numerous 5'9" 200 lb. running backs before, and most were rarely able to last the season or meet expectations [[Kevin Jones, Andre Swift, and many more.) I'm also not convinced David Montgomery is an upgrade until he proves it. Don't want to sound too negative, but I question the Lions being able to get 12 or 13 wins until it happens for the 2nd time in 50 years. If it does happen, I'll be more than happy to go along for the ride.

I think 11-6 would be reasonable. That would, in my projection, give them their first ever NFC North division title. To continue knocking down things in the 'way too long' category, I'd pencil them in for a playoff win in the first round, but then the season comes to a close with a loss the following week.

I really like what this team is doing. They're accumulating talent up and down the roster. Almost every draft pick or free agent signing is improving the overall talent level of the roster. Yes, there are a lot of players who will have little experience, and while not all of them will be Pro Bowlers, Holmes and Campbell seem to pretty good at finding guys who can improve.

If the 2023 draft class does develop as hoped, and they can follow it up with another solid draft, 2024 could be their year.

10 wins 7 losses and the Lions win the division. Home playoff game that they lose. Fans are pissed off.

Nice Job Lions!!!

LIONS 26

JAGUARS 17

2-1

Field Goal No Good
    R.Patterson 53 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Crossbar, Center-S.Daly, Holder-J.Fox.

Touchdown Lions
    [[Shotgun) C.Reynolds up the middle for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Extra Point Good
    R.Patterson extra point is GOOD, Center-S.Daly, Holder-J.Fox.

Interception
    [[Shotgun) A.Dalton pass deep middle intended for J.Wims INTERCEPTED by C.Lucas at DET -3. Touchback.

Fumble
    C.Peoples right guard to CAR 25 for no gain [[K.Dorsey). FUMBLES [[K.Dorsey), touched at CAR 26, RECOVERED by DET-B.Breeze at CAR 27.

Alright Campbell pick your poison. Who is staying and who will be cut.

I don’t know who is the DYes NFL Commissioner this year, but I’m at 9-8 and missing the playoffs.

Don't much care who wins, just hope to see some good football this season!

I'm surprised the team didn't do a viewing thing at Ford Field for tonight's game at K.C. I think it would have been really well attended.

Close call comeback cats!

LIONS 21
    CHIEFS 20

1-0

One down sixteen to go.

Took down the Super Bowl Champions.

After the series of interceptions, fumble-rooskies and the defensive oops! Goff's shotgun pass to D.Montgomery left tackle to DET 12 for 3 yards.

Take that Perfect Patrick Mahomes! Lions are ready to break your streak next time.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm surprised the team didn't do a viewing thing at Ford Field for tonight's game at K.C. I think it would have been really well attended.
    They did but I think it was only for season ticket holders.

I think that win against KC was in the top 3 all time important wins by the Lions in my lifetime, and I’m pretty old. However, there was nothing more satisfying to me than knocking the Packers out of the playoffs in that last game last season at Lambeau. My hatred for Green Bay and Aaron Rogers and the Green Bay fans runs really deep.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast