Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    He's a habitual criminal like Trump.
    You left out charges but no convictions?

GOP souls may secretly smile whenever a construction worker is killed by a speeding motorist. Because workers are all communists, right?
    You’re politically sick in the head!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    My sediment’s exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    My sediment’s exactly!
    "Sediment's?" LOL!

No more thong jokes, please.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-21-23 at 10:43 AM.

What does the third time charging tell you genius? It’s obvious we have a weaponized judicial system that doesn’t need evidence to charge a patriot.
    So the convict that gets sentenced to 24 years for murder shouldn't be charged again when he commits another murder?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Encouraging safety in construction zones is a good thing. However, police pullovers could accomplish the same thing. The hefty fines would more than pay for the police. Camera systems and extra litigation aren't free either. A visible police presence would also deter speeders if safety rather than revenue was actually the primary goal. Live police are less likely to accuse a car owner for speeding if their car was driven by someone else. Signs warning of huge fines would help a little too. Then we could move on to hand counted ballots to avoid machine programming errors.

I wish they would install cameras or better yet a police presence on southbound I 75 between the Lodge and Fort Street [[predominant area for the Gordie Howe Bridge construction) at night. I don't live in Detroit, but whenever I come home to visit family my knuckles are white, I am sweating like a pig and I am scared to death of the drivers doing 100+ mph on that straightaway.

I am sure after a few weeks there after all the drivers they catch the Michigan budget would balance out lol!

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I wish they would install cameras or better yet a police presence on southbound I 75 between the Lodge and Fort Street...
    It's a no-brainer. It would free-up state police resources for more productive work. I don't understand why the GOP would oppose cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Better people have said worse things about me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    So the convict that gets sentenced to 24 years for murder shouldn't be charged again when he commits another murder?
    What does that have to do with false charges?

What does that have to do with false charges?
    Nothing. It has to do with real charges - against said convict.

It's a complete money grab, police / government shakedown.

Better people have said worse things about me.
    You’re a wally

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It's a complete money grab, police / government shakedown.
    But new research from Justin Gallagher and Paul J. Fisher finds that these cameras don’t reduce accident numbers at all. Instead, they write, the behavior changes caused by red light cameras among drivers leads to different types of accidents with no change in injury rates.

on speed trap câmaras

In other words, speed cameras did not statistically contribute to an increase or decrease in the number of MVC.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3861844/

Illinois local governments generated more than $1 billion in red-light camera revenue from 2008 to 2018, according to new analysis by the Illinois Policy Institute.

Florida drivers who were caught by red-light cameras paid more than $100 million in traffic fines last year. But whether the cameras made Florida's roads safer — or just swelled state and city coffers — is an open question.
    "Three years ago, these red-light cameras were pitched as safety devices," said state Sen. Jeff Brandes, a St. Petersburg Republican who has proposed a state ban on the cameras. "Instead, they've been a backdoor tax increase."

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, in September called for an end to red-light cameras, even though they bring in about $16 million a year to local governments.

Even with traffic cameras there is one party that supports them and another that does not.

Even more interesting is the party that supports them the most,places them in as a majority in the neighborhoods of the people that supports them the most,low income African American communities.

Because they figure those residents will pay the $150 fine before they will pay the $500 in attorney fees to fight it.

Its actually a form of profiling because as a rule you do not see them placed in upper middle or high income éreas,so it is a tax on the poor.

Last edited by Richard; July-22-23 at 08:12 AM.

I'm all for charging people money to break the law.

In theory yes,but when the law gets twisted into a revenue generating platform verses a deterrent,it has a tendency to get abused and stretched.

Sometimes it is more profitable to pay the money for the privilege of being able to break the law and you make more money off of the poor then the rich so most laws are targeting the poor.
    Last edited by Richard; July-22-23 at 01:01 PM.

Whatever. Don't want to pay money to the government? Don't speed. Got caught? Quit bitching.

Whatever. Don't want to pay money to the government? Don't speed. Got caught? Quit bitching.
    The problem is, as is pointed out in Chicago, that the wrong people are getting tickets, as the plate readers are not 100% reliable. Getting out of the ticket isn't quite that easy, either, as now you have to prove that the wrong car got the ticket. Depending on the jurisdiction and rules, you might *have* to get lawyer that you'll have to pay for out of your pocket. Remember this is civil court, not criminal, so the rules are different.

There have also been instances where the cameras went haywire and gave nearly everyone tickets, or random people tickets.

It's all automated so nobody double-checks. I mean, really, there is no incentive to double-check, is there? It's all revenue.
    Last edited by JBMcB; July-22-23 at 04:40 PM.

Agreed. Police should be doing real police work like taking kickbacks and donuts. Cops shouldn't be writing speeding tickets.

Agreed. Police should be doing real police work like taking kickbacks and donuts. Cops shouldn't be writing speeding tickets.
    That's the beauty of it. Cops won't be writing speeding tickets. And maybe they won't be closing down the expressway for eight hours to preform fatal accident investigations.

...fatal accident investigations.
    Do you mean fatal accidents worthy of Darwin Awards?

That’s like saying - Don’t like the smoke coming out of Canada don’t breath.

With all of the technology in cars today I am surprised they do not require a chip implant that connects to the cars Speedo and when you speed it zaps you.

It could be do not want to speed,stay out of the left lane,the far right lane is for those who say they never speed,but do,that in its self would make the roads safer.

My car was manufactured to speed safely and in 47 years never got a speeding ticket.

Define speeding,on the freeway in Fla the posted limit is 70 they allow up to 83 most cases.

They have vinyl wraps that they do vehicles with,I am waiting for them to come out with a stealth wrap.

Watch the police chase videos,65% of the drivers on the freeway are not paying attention anyways and distracted driving causes more accidents then speeding.

With an economic impact of over $40 billion a year ,heck there was a country that stripped every citizen of their civil rights over a trucker strike and claim of a lousy $1 billion in losses,but it is okay to give up $40 billion just so people can play with their phones while driving and die.
    Last edited by Richard; July-22-23 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That’s like saying - Don’t like the smoke coming out of Canada don’t breath.
    No, it's not. If the sign says 45, drive 45 or less. If it says 60, drive 60 or less. You can still drive. The end.

I have a saying, "I became one of tens of thousands of law-breakers again today; I drove the Lodge".

The speed limit is 55, the average speed is 65-70. What are speeding tickets now? $150? That could generated $1.5 million a day for every 10,000 speeders.

Smart phone routing maps, like that on my iPhone, report speed traps [politely called speed checks]. Speed cameras, if they come, would all be detectable and avoidable. So their main effect would be to cause traffic backups.

I have long heard that the speed limit means speed limit + 7 MPH over. What is your understanding?

Traffic laws exist keep our roads safe for everyone but police pulling people over is simply not a strong enough deterrent to unsafe driving. Traffic enforcement cameras increase compliance and improve road safety. Driving on public roads is a privilege not a right.

Just by staying "stationary", those speed trap cameras are traveling at about 666,000 MPH relative to the Local Group of galaxies in the universe.

Camera, ticket thyself!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast