Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Speed Trap Cameras are coming

There's a bill pushing through the state legislature authorizing the use of automated speeding cameras in construction zones:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...motorists.html

This is particularly odd as, just last year, Michigan banned red light cameras as they were unfair, unreliable and and intrusive.

I agree with Steve Lehto on this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0Rt7h5Fjk

This is what keeps them from using cameras and airplanes like they did in Ohio. If our corrupt legislators change this law you know what’s coming.

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[...e%20to%20face.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This is what keeps them from using cameras and airplanes like they did in Ohio. If our corrupt legislators change this law you know what’s coming.

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[kcslrbyqswxnncnwz4rkrj3x))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-763-1#:~:text=On%20the%20trial%20of%20every,against%20 him%20face%20to%20face.
    DetroitYES! corrupted that link by replacing the URL's left parentheses with brackets.

TinyURL.com to the rescue! https://tinyurl.com/Link-repair

I'm not a lawyer, but read up on the law quite a bit. From what I understand, that rule applies to criminal procedure. Speeding tickets are considered a civil infraction and are heard in civil court. You get a hearing in front of a prosecutor and you can have a lawyer, but that doesn't mean it's criminal court where the above rule applies. There might be a comparable rule in civil court, but I'm not sure.

With us it is $150 and if you dispute it it’s $350,if you do not pay it you are unable to re-new your registration,they are only located in low income eras as a rule.

I have been at the light and have watched them click away at cars that were doing nothing wrong.

I got one,left turn on green arrow,when I went to court the traffic light was blurry so you could not even distinguish between the colors of the traffic light to begin with.

They base it on the majority will just pay the $150 without dispute,guilty or not,because when I was in court several were dismissed.

But in the bigger picture there is a new system being implemented,using AÍ it collects everybody’s plates and and tracks your traffic patterns.

They busted a drug dealer that was doing deliveries in another part of the state,not because he was under suspicion but because the collection of his daily driving pattern showed that he was taking a route once a week and only stopping for 10 minutes at the same location every time,so he was flagged by the system as a potential target for further investigation.

Where I am at they have placed portable plate capture equipment,looks like those things that tell you your speed,but with a long pole with multiple câmaras,they put them a major intersections to capture everybody’s tag and store it in the system.

The agreement for the red light câmaras was they would not store the information permanently,but it looks like they are now stacking multiple systems in order to do exactly that.

Getting like China - cannot leave the house or return without being under video surveillance the entire time.
    Last edited by Richard; July-19-23 at 10:15 AM.

I oppose these bills.

These days, the name of safety is being used to justify a lot of government action I don't support.

This leftist legislature needs to go.

Like shooting fish in a barrel…

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I oppose these bills.

These days, the name of safety is being used to justify a lot of government action I don't support.

This leftist legislature needs to go.

Let me get this right... you complain because of a few bills about speed cameras [I'm not crazy about it either]... and whine that the [Democratic] legislature needs to go? WTH??

We've had a Republican controlled legislature [that controls the purse strings] for 40 years, in which time our roads have gone to shit... and now just to get back to getting the roads to the condition that they are in much of the rest of the country... we would have to spend the equivalent of $3.9 billion a year for quite some time to play catch-up?

But you would still rather go back to the old way just so you don't worry about some cameras?? Okaaaaaay...
    Last edited by Gistok; July-19-23 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    But you would still rather go back to the old way just so you don't worry about some cameras?? Okaaaaaay...
    And it's plain for all to see that the GOP opposes law enforcement -- the party that used to be for law and order has gone rogue.

GOP souls may secretly smile whenever a construction worker is killed by a speeding motorist. Because workers are all communists, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    And it's plain for all to see that the GOP opposes law enforcement -- the party that used to be for law and order has gone rogue.

Gee Whalley, are you talking about GOP run cities like Lansing and Detroit, where repeat offenders get wrist slaps and released until they end up kidnapping a two year and murdering her?

Encouraging safety in construction zones is a good thing. However, police pullovers could accomplish the same thing. The hefty fines would more than pay for the police. Camera systems and extra litigation aren't free either. A visible police presence would also deter speeders if safety rather than revenue was actually the primary goal. Live police are less likely to accuse a car owner for speeding if their car was driven by someone else. Signs warning of huge fines would help a little too. Then we could move on to hand counted ballots to avoid machine programming errors.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    A visible police presence would also deter speeders if safety rather than revenue was actually the primary goal. Live police are less likely to accuse a car owner for speeding if their car was driven by someone else.
    You have a few cruisers pulling people over on Tuesday, then again on Saturday. People driving by see a string of cars getting pulled over right in front of a sign saying fines are doubled. That programs people to drive slower. A box taking pictures does not. There will always be people whom ignore the police, but they'll also ignore a box taking pictures.

The "getting it right" part is important. There have been a string of stories out of Chicago about their red light cameras reading the wrong license plate number. Fighting these tickets is costly and time consuming. One couple who tried to fight a ticket they got for someone else's car was told they'd have to hire a lawyer and fight it in court, as a judge wouldn't throw the ticket out.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Gee Whalley, are you talking about GOP run cities like Lansing and Detroit, where repeat offenders get wrist slaps and released until they end up kidnapping a two year and murdering her?
    AARON KATERSKY and LUCIEN BRUGGEMAN
    Wed, July 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM EDT

A New Jersey Ponzi scheme architect, whose 24-year prison sentence was commuted by then-President Donald Trump in 2021, has been arrested again Wednesday on charges he defrauded investors by making false promises involving humanitarian supplies destined for Ukraine.

Eliyahu Weinstein and four other men were charged with conspiring to defraud 150 individual investors of more than $35 million and with conspiracy to obstruct justice, according to federal prosecutors in New Jersey.

"This is now the third time this office has charged Weinstein with a large-scale scheme to rip off investors," U.S. Attorney Philip Sellinger said during a news conference in Newark on Wednesday.

AARON KATERSKY and LUCIEN BRUGGEMAN

A New Jersey Ponzi scheme architect, whose 24-year prison sentence was commuted by then-President Donald Trump in 2021, has been arrested again Wednesday on charges he defrauded investors by making false promises involving humanitarian supplies destined for Ukraine.

Eliyahu Weinstein and four other men were charged with conspiring to defraud 150 individual investors of more than $35 million and with conspiracy to obstruct justice, according to federal prosecutors in New Jersey.

"This is now the third time this office has charged Weinstein with a large-scale scheme to rip off investors," U.S. Attorney Philip Sellinger said during a news conference in Newark on Wednesday.

Well, hopefully they can all get a plea deal like Uncle Joe's krakhead kid. Any news from the Wuhan lab? Any new releases? How's Fauci doing?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-20-23 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well, hopefully they can all get a plea deal like Uncle Joe's krakhead kid. Any news from the Wuhan lab? Any new releases? How's Fauci doing?
    Do you need to cop a plea?

Do you need to cop a plea?

Gee Whalley, You sound like you copped something last night. Besides you using this forum to propagate your political viewpoints, what does any of this have to do with cameras being installed in construction areas?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-20-23 at 09:25 AM.

I hate the idea of speed cameras. It's just a revenue generator, another way to get in your wallet. Government could care less about construction worker safety.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I hate the idea of speed cameras. It's just a revenue generator, another way to get in your wallet. Government could care less about construction worker safety.
    What's your evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

But in the bigger picture there is a new system being implemented,using AÍ it collects everybody’s plates and and tracks your traffic patterns.

They busted a drug dealer that was doing deliveries in another part of the state,not because he was under suspicion but because the collection of his daily driving pattern showed that he was taking a route once a week and only stopping for 10 minutes at the same location every time,so he was flagged by the system as a potential target for further investigation.
    If true, this sounds very disturbing. Just as likely someone doing regular deliveries could be an Uber eats or Amazon driver. I live in an apartment building and every day I see an Uber eats or Amazon driver. Are the police allowed to unzipper and search an uber eats bag too? I thought only the plain view doctrine applied when there wasn't a search warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    DetroitYES! corrupted that link by replacing the URL's left parentheses with brackets.

TinyURL.com to the rescue! https://tinyurl.com/Link-repair
    Please knock it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Please knock it off!
    Why? We should rather not help each other?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    There's a bill pushing through the state legislature authorizing the use of automated speeding cameras in construction zones:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...motorists.html

This is particularly odd as, just last year, Michigan banned red light cameras as they were unfair, unreliable and and intrusive.

I agree with Steve Lehto on this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0Rt7h5Fjk
    Nothing odd about that.

Republicans had majority control of the state legislature last year, and now the Democrats do.

Stuff like this is what happens when you live in a swing / purple state.

I was pretty certain that such cameras are illegal in Michigan, and it would take changes to the State Constitution to allow them.

Perhaps the fact that there are no points [just fines] makes them think they have a loop-hole?

I reached out to a traffic attorney with that question, but haven't heard back.

[QUOTE=Henry Whalley;635848]AARON KATERSKY and LUCIEN BRUGGEMAN

What does the third time charging tell you genius? It’s obvious we have a weaponized judicial system that doesn’t need evidence to charge a patriot.

What does the third time charging tell you genius?
    He's a habitual criminal like Trump.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast