Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New car

Default New car

Being still loyal to the Detroit area, traded in my old Ford Escape on a 2023 Ford Escape. Heck of a difference, with this Mickey Mouse TV screen on the dash board that asks me everything except my Great Grandmother's birth date.

Oh, I'll figure it out in the weeks ahead, but I think we've reach the point in automotive improvement that it will take a PhD to figure out the dashboard demands in a year or two.

I absolutely shudder to think of what cars will look like in 2100. Fortunately, I won't be there. Shit, I may not be here tomorrow, being 86. But I'll try.

We went through that transition period,Kinda like from horse and buggy to the automobile.

To the younger generations,tech has become normal to them,just like the inability to follow more then a paragraph or have a discussion that takes more then 4 words.

The operating manual alone for my newish F250s radio is like 10x thicker then the entire owners manual was for my 67 GTO.

The only thing I use it for is GPS and music but that’s why you pay $75,000 + because of all the electronic gizmos that you will never use and when they break not even the dealership can figure out how to fix them.

They are IPHONES on wheels the rest of the vehicle is just the protective covering over the electronics to keep it out of the weather.

Remember in the 70s when a cup holder was considered a selling point?

Planned obsolescence is easy on a new car as we have seen with the manufacturers shut down because they were waiting on one chip,stop making that one chip in the future and your car is a brick.
    Last edited by Richard; July-14-23 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    23 Ford Escape. Heck of a difference, with this Mickey Mouse TV screen on the dash board that asks me everything except my Great Grandmother's birth date.

Oh, I'll figure it out in the weeks ahead, but I think we've reach the point....

I have the same complaint. 500 things you can change in the settings, none of which are helpful.

Car manufacturers aren
    T really allowed to give you luxury anymore, so they're trying compete in useless gadgets. I'm out of town now in a rented Caddy. Same issues, plus a bad ride and no power. Henry Leland would be rolling over in his grave.

But you can still buy low mile used are, so I have some spare ones of those for the future.

It's been 3 months for me. When do I stop bringing my keys out of my pocket when I walk up to my car?

I have a Bolt with a fairly large center screen. The radio and the temperature controls found on that screen replace dials. I prefer the dials for safety. The screen works ok but I find that I take a little more time searching for and tapping on things with my eyes off the road than I would have taken turning and clicking dials that I could find without looking. Maybe it's cheaper to build that way but for safety's sake but I want to spend more time watching the road.

This reminds me of the new cellphone law implemented in Michigan. You get caught with your phone in your hand while driving, it's a $100 dollar fine, then increases with each violation. Most new cars have cellphone connectivity built in where you can drive hands free. But older cars do not have that, so you have to buy a phone mount to put on the dash or windshield. This is kinda redundant to me as you still have to take your eyes of the road to answer a call, whereas you don't have to worry about that with newer vehicles. My point, in both instances you are distracted from driving which is the main cause of concern with accidents in the first place.

About 3 years ago I traded in old faithful for a newer, more fuel efficient transport. Every once in a while I still fish the dongle out of my pocket when approaching the vehicle. It too is computerized, and has a monitor built into the dashboard. Some of the innovations are cool and useful, some are a real PITA, and I don't care for them. Ray, you're going to have to go through a learning curve to acclimate yourself on how to make it all work, but it can be done. But PLEASE, do this in your driveway, while standing still and NOT while you're driving. It's so easy to get distracted searching for a control and accidents can happen.

Month or so back I spotted a late 80s Dodge Diplomat in a parking lot. First one I've seen on the road in years. No, it wasn't in great shape, but if I had seen the owner, I might have tried to buy it.

My 'new' vehicle is a 98 Tahoe I got a few months ago. I hope I never have to buy anything newer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    It's been 3 months for me. When do I stop bringing my keys out of my pocket when I walk up to my car?
    Yup, I'm already experiencing that, BongMan. Old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    But PLEASE, do this in your driveway, while standing still and NOT while you're driving.
    Yup, good advice not only to me but to all! TY!

Still hanging on to my 2012 Chevy Equinox....cuz it has a CD player! For my longer drives.

I don't use music streaming services on my phone so I don't have a list of music to plug into. Plus I enjoy listening to the "album" in total and the songs in the order intended by the artist.

I'll enjoy this "feature" for as long as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Still hanging on to my 2012 Chevy Equinox....cuz it has a CD player! For my longer drives.

I don't use music streaming services on my phone so I don't have a list of music to plug into. Plus I enjoy listening to the "album" in total and the songs in the order intended by the artist.

My ride, though newer, still came with a CD player, but it also has a USB port. You can copy a slew of your favorite CD's [albums] onto a USB stick, and you don't have to dig through your glove box for music, the correct jacket, etc., and you don't have the clutter. It free's up space for actual gloves. A feature I really like. The negative side is you have to look at the screen to choose the album you want. You can also load your music onto your phone, connect your phone to the USB or Bluetooth [wireless], and play your music that way. You don't necessarily have to have a streaming service. I have streaming radio stations bookmarked on my phone, I can listen to my favorite stations from all over the country while I drive. Another cool feature I really like.

I was at The Ark recently in AA. At the end of her set the performer asked, "How many of you have a 2016 car or older?". She scanned the audience, then said, "Great I have a bunch of CDs for sale after the show".

My wife leased a recent Escape. Beyond not taking keys out of the pocket the biggest improvement is the adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go and lane centering [[including speed sign recognition).

This locks your distance to the car in front of you and steers you in the middle of the lane [great if you need to take you hands off the wheel for a couple of seconds--or more]. The adaptive cruise control makes construction zone driving, with their stops and starts and up and down speeds, a breeze and prevents tailending.

If you have an iPhone you can plug it into your panel and let its CarPlay app bring over your route mapping, music, and allow hands-free handling of your phone calls and text messaging. [important for the new Michigan Laws]. That lets one use their familiar phone apps vs. learning a new system.

There is a bit of a learning curve but it's worth the effort. YouTube has many videos to help. You're smart people. You'll figure it out.

My 2021 Subaru Crosstrek has a CD player. I do occasionally pop a disk in.

Lowell said: "There is a bit of a learning curve but it's worth the effort."

Only problem is it's 115 f. in Las Vegas this week, just too darn hot to screw around with the car. I'll learn my curve next month. Or September.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    My 2021 Subaru Crosstrek has a CD player. I do occasionally pop a disk in.
    I have a 2019 Outback Limited. I don't know if it has a CD player or not. It has a KILLER 13 speaker radio. I listen to XM radio, I think it's great.

Lowell said: "There is a bit of a learning curve but it's worth the effort."

Only problem is it's 115 f. in Las Vegas this week, just too darn hot to screw around with the car. I'll learn my curve next month. Or September.

So we'll take it that you opted out of the heated steering wheel and seats?

Hot here too. Going to be 82 today. We may have to turn on the AC a bit.

115°F is close to the annual highest temperature in Las Vegas. Where they're breaking records is in the number of consecutive days of heat.

I'm sure there are benefits to techie cars, e.g., navigation, collision avoidance, etc. but when it starts getting in the way of the car's primary function, they really need a bypass switch.

I've been stuck with a car that wouldn't start because of what turned out to be a faulty "driver detected" switch in the seat. That's when it becomes painfully obvious that the car is there to serve us, not the other way around. And designers seem increasingly unaware of that simple idea.

Mission creep can be a bitch.

"115°F is close to the annual highest temperature in Las Vegas. Where they're breaking records is in the number of consecutive days of heat."

Yup. I think the record is 117 or maybe 118. Temperature is taken at Reid Airport, which sits in the lowest part of the valley. Our home is in the foothills of Black Mountain, south of Vegas, and we're about 1,500 feet higher than the valley floor. Saves a couple of degrees, anyway.

"115°F is close to the annual highest temperature in Las Vegas. Where they're breaking records is in the number of consecutive days of heat."

Yup. I think the record is 117 or maybe 118. Temperature is taken at Reid Airport, which sits in the lowest part of the valley. Our home is in the foothills of Black Mountain, south of Vegas, and we're about 1,500 feet higher than the valley floor. Saves a couple of degrees, anyway.
    And they said Hell was in Michigan. Must do wonders for the grid.

Congratulations on joining the club Ray. Took delivery on my 2022 Escape just a bit over a year ago. Got the plug-in version, which then came with a pretty hefty tax credit. Had to wait about 9 months from order though as the plant in Louisville that assembles the things was held up by all sorts of pandemic era shortages.

But I like it a lot so far. Certainly an improvement over my old Focus wagon that died in a flood. Have gone to NYC in it a couple of times, up into Canada a good long ways, and down to visit family in DC and NC. Very comfortable for distance driving. Even figured out how to use all of the stuff on the screen that I wanted to use and link up to Android Auto on my phone for nav etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Even figured out how to use all of the stuff on the screen that I wanted to use and link up to Android Auto on my phone for nav etc.
    I'm getting it done so far, but it sure is a monster to figure out. But life without challenges wouldn't be much fun, eh?

I'm getting it done so far, but it sure is a monster to figure out. But life without challenges wouldn't be much fun, eh?

Ray, everyone goes through that. There are a lot of useful features in the program once you get the hang of it. First time I checked the oil, I started my vehicle, and got a message "Hoods Ajar". I sat there and pondered the existential meaning of the message. "Yes, the hood is like a jar. Once you close the lid, it keeps everything inside of it" duh... Don't forget, the owners manual can be your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ... First time I checked the oil, I started my vehicle, and got a message "Hoods Ajar"....
    Ha! I'm surprised they're still using that word. When cars first started saying it, they'd warn "A door is ajar." Comedians relentlessly joked about it. They'd say things like "A door is not a jar. It is a door!"

Shifting gears {heh}, we've all heard that new EVs are so quiet that they make artificial sounds to warn people they're coming. One that was slowly driving around a parking lot sounded like a muscle car loudly roaring though a race course — clearly faked. A neighbor has one that sounds like how the Zug Island hum was described. It vibrates the chest like a loud bass speaker but without a beat.

I'm curious what other sounds are available. A turbine?
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-18-23 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast