Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default $12M from Michigan Legislature could jump-start Detroit cultural center plan

Midtown Detroit, Inc. asked for $15 million for the cultural center plan, said Susan Mosey, its executive director. The first phase of the plan is expected to cost $38 million to complete, and fundraising from philanthropic sources and other donors is ongoing.

"Just having a signal from the legislature that they think this project is important means a lot," Mosey said. "This key funding allows us to gauge the interest of other supporters."

Phase one of the proposed cultural center plan would rebuild a long-abandoned underground parking deck on Farnsworth Street that's owned by the Detroit Institute of Arts. A February presentation about the plan says its completion, at an expected cost of $33 million, would add 336 parking spaces to the area. When it opens, that parking deck would allow a surface parking lot on John R Street near the DIA to be converted to green space, part of the project's second phase. Phase one work also includes storm water enhancements and landscaping.The area has a history of severe flooding, Mosey said. Storm water improvements that include underground water storage, regrading and the planting of native gardens will help protect the area from future rain events, said Annmarie Borucki, the director of arts and culture for Midtown Detroit.

Mosey said she expects a year of pre-development work and 18 months of construction in the first phase, once the money is raised. She described the initiative as a "big, robust plan" with a lot of underground infrastructure.

The overall plan was completed about a year ago and seeks to better connect a dozen cultural institutions, from museums to universities. The February presentation details more greenspace, connective walking trails and fewer driving lanes in the area.

"The idea is to create a much more approachable, welcoming cultural campus here," Mosey said. "We want a district that's more intimate and more connected, that promotes a lot more walkability."
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/politi...ichigan-budget

Building more high density housing around it would make it more vibrant than anything else.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; July-07-23 at 01:24 PM.

We want a district that's more intimate and more connected, that promotes a lot more walkability."

Phase one of the proposed cultural center plan would rebuild a long-abandoned underground parking deck on Farnsworth Street that's owned by the Detroit Institute of Arts. A February presentation about the plan says its completion, at an expected cost of $33 million, would add 336 parking spaces to the area.

That’s my way of promoting walkability,make phase 1 of your project so you can accommodate the cars first.

Good idea to keep the parking underground.

I remember the Farnsworth lot, and recall there was one by Ford Auditorium, which was a mediocre auditorium acoustically, but nice visually IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Phase one of the proposed cultural center plan would rebuild a long-abandoned underground parking deck on Farnsworth Street that's owned by the Detroit Institute of Arts. A February presentation about the plan says its completion, at an expected cost of $33 million, would add 336 parking spaces to the area.

That’s my way of promoting walkability,make phase 1 of your project so you can accommodate the cars first.
    The parking structure has suffered from extensive water damage, and repairs are urgently needed while it's still salvageable. That's why the structure has been closed for several years now.

They also want to get a handle on stormwater systems in general before installing the gardens and plazas above.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    They also want to get a handle on stormwater systems in general before installing the gardens and plazas above.
    IIRC there was parking beneath the Park Shelton as well.

Getting the underground parking structure in front of the Rackham Building back into use will eliminate their surface parking lot behind the DIA, and allow for greenspace and maybe other development. Agree that 'out of sight' expenditures are not exciting as say new builds, but it has to be done.

I wish they would eliminate the [above ground] parking structure behind the Rackham Building... it's an unsightly use of space on the main intersection of the E. Warren Blvd. & Woodward.

^I agree with you about the parking structure behind the Rackham Building. It is an eye-sore. However, I'm not sure you can do something different there if the Rackham needs parking. If the Rackham employees will use the new underground parking, then maybe the parking deck can be torn down. However, then you'll be looking at the back of the Rackham. Now an apartment building behind it might work, but then those residents will need parking. An underground parking structure along Warren and Woodward would answer that problem. The issue is, would a developer be willing to pay for it and the apartment building.

The library is the most underutilized space in the cultural center. Those running the place need to get creative and start thinking outside the box.

I've always thought the large front porch would be perfect for a café. The expansive lawn could be programed for neighborhood events. The second floor, with it's beautiful windows and murals, could be dedicated to revolving art exhibitions. These are just surface level observations and I'm sure someone with more time to dedicate could come up with more.

I generally don't support above ground parking lots, but the one behind the DIA is very well maintained and pretty out of site because of its location and the surrounding vegetation -- I'd like to keep that one and prioritize elimination and improvement of a whole lot of other things before that lot. Even with the underground lot back online, there will always be people who just won't park in an underground garage, no matter how well maintained it is. Leaving a sizable, out of sight above ground lot seems a nice alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I generally don't support above ground parking lots, but the one behind the DIA is very well maintained and pretty out of site because of its location and the surrounding vegetation -- I'd like to keep that one and prioritize elimination and improvement of a whole lot of other things before that lot. Even with the underground lot back online, there will always be people who just won't park in an underground garage, no matter how well maintained it is. Leaving a sizable, out of sight above ground lot seems a nice alternative.

Totally agree. The proximity of that lot to the John R entrance of the DIA has a lot [hah, a funny] to do with out of town visitors coming to the DIA and the DFT. Even on weekdays there seems to be a fare amount of vehicles parked in it. Plus it's effective for the elderly and the incapacitated. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face because someone posted cutesy renderings of an urban-utopian lifestyle
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-10-23 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The library is the most underutilized space in the cultural center. Those running the place need to get creative and start thinking outside the box.
    Man, I practically lived in that library circa 1966-72. Another favored haunt was the Purdy Library, especially its second-floor music listening rooms and adjacent Miles Poetry room.

In spite of its low utilization, I favor leaving the library alone.

Why? I don't want the Main Library to be effed up like the DIA, e.g., the hideous black tunnel on basement level, the shopping mall-ish cafeteria, etc., and other DIA spaces that used to be exquisite until administrators began to think outside the box and adopted vomitorium style decor.

P.S. It may seem like urban legend, but once upon a time more than a few bona-fide artists and intellectuals frequented Kresge Court. The rebuttable presumption is that DIA's purpose in destroying the charms of Kresge Court was to dim these lights.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; July-10-23 at 01:58 AM.

14 years later we're still talking about the 'midtown loop'

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1236312431

Thanks for the old link Hybridy... amazing how many of the old timers are no longer here.

I think that as Midtown continues to get denser with more projects coming online, that the Detroit Festival of the Arts should get started up again. I remember those, and they were an amazing festival around the cultural center & WSU.