Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taylor Swift concert

Last edited by xrockerboy; June-15-23 at 02:38 PM.

A friend of my son paid the ridiculous price to go only to end up behind a gaggle of teenage girls singing all the words to her songs out of tune and ruined the event. Caveat Emptor!

^ Beware indeed! I live not far from the Lodge - sometimes see those maniacal traffic snarls. Sigh...you best have an alternate those nights.

Headliner concert prices out-of-control and you pay the additional price of traffic jams deluxe and stuff like you describe... or worse.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-16-23 at 04:59 AM.

It was a huge weekend for Downtown Detroit hotels however, according to Crains.

^ Now that's the greatest news from this!

They've needed the business after the COVID lock-downs etc.

C'mon, Lowell, we used to do the same back in our day. First concert was Three Dog Night at Calahan hall and we were belting out the words, probably wrong, of Jeremiah was a Bullfrog, with the best of them. And Beatles concerts were so cultlike that you couldn't hear the music through the screams of teenage girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A friend of my son paid the ridiculous price to go only to end up behind a gaggle of teenage girls singing all the words to her songs out of tune and ruined the event. Caveat Emptor!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    C'mon, Lowell, we used to do the same back in our day. First concert was Three Dog Night at Calahan hall and we were belting out the words, probably wrong, of Jeremiah was a Bullfrog, with the best of them. And Beatles concerts were so cultlike that you couldn't hear the music through the screams of teenage girls.
    Difference is we paid 7 or 8 dollars to see three headliners and all the drugs you could handle.

LOL! That factor does seem to emerge doesn't it?

However broad-spectrum/ consumer concert going is often more crass, wild, doing-the-most these days!

We kept it down to roar when I went to see the DSO last month......

C'mon, Lowell, we used to do the same back in our day...
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-16-23 at 08:25 AM.

The elephant un the room is the lack of public transportation or good safe public transit that could had cut down on the congestion in downtown Detroit during the Taylor Wift weekend in Downtown Detroit. The using of the QLine would had been more effective in cutting down the congestion in the downtown area. Just imagine if SMART would had more express lines running into the downtown areas from St Claur Shores/Grosse Pointe, Farmington Hill/Brighton/Novi, and Canton/Ann Arbor/ Bellville areas, especially until 11 at night during events that would had cut down on congestion, event goers paying high prices for parking etc. Express busses don't have to pick up in the city after leaving the downtown area but tge 1st drop off is beyond 8 mile and coming in/o the city the first drop off will be midtown. This would make event going downtown much more convenient and less costly

Now why would anyone in Metro Detroit go anywhere if they were expected to walk more than two blocks? And, after all, doesn't our motto, "Going Detroit Style" mean everybody drives their own car?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The elephant un the room is the lack of public transportation or good safe public transit that could had cut down on the congestion in downtown Detroit during the Taylor Wift weekend in Downtown Detroit. The using of the QLine would had been more effective in cutting down the congestion in the downtown area. Just imagine if SMART would had more express lines running into the downtown areas from St Claur Shores/Grosse Pointe, Farmington Hill/Brighton/Novi, and Canton/Ann Arbor/ Bellville areas, especially until 11 at night during events that would had cut down on congestion, event goers paying high prices for parking etc. Express busses don't have to pick up in the city after leaving the downtown area but tge 1st drop off is beyond 8 mile and coming in/o the city the first drop off will be midtown. This would make event going downtown much more convenient and less costly

This is the best solution I've heard. Find a piece of land outside of Downtown and Midtown, pave it, secure it, and run designated busses, clearly marked, on time, to major events. Have them run an hour or two after the event to encourage visitors to partake of eateries in the area. They used to do it for art crawls, and the like. People do this for flights out of Metro. Seems like a better solution than sitting in your vehicle for a couple of hours before and after events.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-16-23 at 11:13 AM.

Grown men thinking they know what’s going on in teenage girls minds? Lol, Sure I will take a shot. Time spent on What to wear? 3 weeks. How much crap they needed to bring that had to be left in car because it couldn’t go in Ford field? 1 week. How to get to Ford field? 30 seconds, “Madison’s driving.” Time spent thinking about parking? 3 seconds “There’s one for only $80!!! We’re Here!!!!! Taylor! Taylor! Taylor!”
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-16-23 at 12:18 PM.

Booking a ticket to any popular concert is like buying a brand new car.

That's called shuttle busses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    This is the best solution I've heard. Find a piece of land outside of Downtown and Midtown, pave it, secure it, and run designated busses, clearly marked, on time, to major events. Have them run an hour or two after the event to encourage visitors to partake of eateries in the area. They used to do it for art crawls, and the like. People do this for flights out of Metro. Seems like a better solution than sitting in your vehicle for a couple of hours before and after events.

[QUOTE=Lowell;634870]A friend of my son paid the ridiculous price to go only to end up behind a gaggle of teenage girls...[QUOTE]

I wouldn't pay Taylor Swift-level prices to see Jesus as an opening act for Moses and Buddha with a bevy of Rockettes.

My dad was an auto worker. But it was worth his money when my parents saw Sarah Vaughan at the Bowery in Hamtramck or saw other talents at the Top Hat Supper Club in Windsor. But to pay politician-level prices for a music in a baseball park just isn't right because neither the venue, nor the hot dogs, nor the acoustics, nor the level of talent warrant the price of admission IMHO.

P.S. I understand that the Top Hat Supper Club was destroyed and replaced by a Big Boy Restaurant. IMHO most of today's 'recording artists' deserve to perform in a Big Boy, White Castle, etc., level of venue.

I'm hardly in the Taylor Swift target demographic, nor do I listen to her music much, nor do I really favor stadium-size concerts [[although technology really makes them a lot better than you might expect.). But I think suggesting she isn't an enormous talent is myopic. Personally, I don't much care for Sarah Vaughan, but I wouldn't claim she wasn't a great musician--I just don't much care for jazz vocals, although I listen to a lot of jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Grown men thinking they know what’s going on in teenage girls minds? Lol, Sure I will take a shot. Time spent on What to wear? 3 weeks. How much crap they needed to bring that had to be left in car because it couldn’t go in Ford field? 1 week. How to get to Ford field? 30 seconds, “Madison’s driving.” Time spent thinking about parking? 3 seconds “There’s one for only $80!!! We’re Here!!!!! Taylor! Taylor! Taylor!”

LOL! Moderators: Please archive this to the "Best Posts Of All Time" collection.

That's called shuttle busses.
    They could be shuttle busses and SMART regular express busses that will run non stop into downtown Detroit and out from downtown Detroit to the suburbs. Or add more fast busses to different routes

mwilbert is spot on. The sound at todays major concert tours is extremely high quality. The production value of the shows are impressive. These events are economic booms for the hotels and restaurants in Detroit. Nothing has to cater to everyone and that simple fact makes this a hell of a great country with the widest range of entertainment options on the planet.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-18-23 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Now why would anyone in Metro Detroit go anywhere if they were expected to walk more than two blocks? And, after all, doesn't our motto, "Going Detroit Style" mean everybody drives their own car?
    The motto was said in a day when gas prices were lower, there were better alternative means of transportation to get downtown so that residents didn't have to pay high meter or parking lot prices, and meters stopped running after 6pm

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    The sound at todays major concert tours is extremely high quality. The production value of the shows are impressive. These events are economic booms for the hotels and restaurants in Detroit.
    Methinks The Gods Must Be Crazy. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Methinks The Gods Must Be Crazy. YMMV

I don’t know about the arena sound systems’ delivery, but from what I’ve tried listening to, Swift’s voice sounds like it's filtered, maybe she microwaves her vocal chords while taping.

So, I’ve tried to suss what the fuss was about, I can’t get past the bubblegum. Bubblegum with artificial sweetener, the newer kind.

Once I-375 gets capped, traffic will become even more horrendous. Some drivers now can go down the Chrysler to Jefferson to access some of the parking structures in the financial district. Once that route becomes clogged [a boulevard] it will become a bigger problem... especially if something is going on at Hart Plaza as well. I'm not saying I don't want them to cap I-375... but it should be no surprise to folks when that happens.

https://apple.news/A-pg82hO3Q0ul5nZFeHoKlw

they don’t name Detroit here but presumably the QLine and maybe the People Mover were much busier than usual that weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    https://apple.news/A-pg82hO3Q0ul5nZFeHoKlw

they don’t name Detroit here but presumably the QLine and maybe the People Mover were much busier than usual that weekend?
    I'm sure they got a little tiny boost but those mentioned are actual transit systems that bring thousands in from the burbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast