Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
Actually I think Royce has a point here. The "affordable housing %" gets tacked on to every downtown development in order to capture tax credits/government subsidies. Not every development should have this, that's not how these things are supposed to work.

It would be nice [[pipe dream maybe) if downtown Detroit could support development without taxpayer involvement once in a while. One would think an area like Brush Park could be one of these zones. I don't know...
And that's a valid argument to make and one in which I can agree with.

But the rank classism of wondering if the BW site is worthy of former foster care people, if poor/working class people can stand living in neighborhoods with more affluent people/amenities [[how about just being poor in, let me check, the United States of America, cause you know very well places like Somerset and Rodeo Drive exist whether or not you live next to them), or thinking that "world class" cities are defined by having stratified socio-economic neighborhoods, are all just very myopic, reductionist views of how a city should be.

Of course it's also not about whether or not there are poor neighborhoods and rich neighborhoods, in Detroit it's about the accessibility between these neighborhoods/cities [[example abound). Poor/working class people work downtown and in wealthier contexts because that is where the jobs are. But if this city wants to attract *any* population, it needs better mobile cohesion between its many parts. That is the mark of a world-class city.