Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Dutch Girl Donuts shop plans to reopen after nearly 2 years

Great to see this place reopen.

An adored Detroit business that closed under sad circumstances appears to have new life.
    Dutch Girl Donuts plans to reopen "very soon" after its owners accepted an offer from an unidentified buyer, according to a post Thursday on the business' Facebook page. The announcement comes less than two months after the building at 19000 Woodward Ave. south of Seven Mile Road that housed the 76-year-old business was put up for sale."The tradition of Dutch Girls that we all love and miss will be alive and well again," the post reads. "Thank you for all the love and support. Stay tuned!"Requests for additional information were not immediately returned.

Dutch Girl closed in September 2021 following the death of second-generation owner Gene Timmer after a two-year battle with cancer. Timmer took over the business his parents started in 1947.

When the shop reopens under new ownership, Gene Timmer's son, Jon, will use family recipes to make the famed doughnuts, according to the social media post.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/restau...immer-involved

Cool! Awesome news for when I want to get my donut groove on... ...

First of all, I'm hoping they actually reopen. Also hoping they go back to the exact type of donuts they used to sell, and they DO NOT go the artisanal donut route. There's enough of those places around.

I was off donuts for three entire years then they opened up a Duck Donuts in Troy. I had to try it and it wasn't that good. That set me off, now i'm back to eating donuts again.

I loved Dutch Girl, I think they were best donuts I've ever had.

I'm about 2000 miles away, but am salivating at the thought of Dutch Girl Donuts, which I was introduced to by my old friend John Agnew in the 1980s. Plenty of times when living in downtown Detroit in the late 1990s, Dutch Girl would pop into my mind late at night, and 20 minutes later, I'd somewhat reluctantly be in my car, headed-up Woodward Avenue just to go there. Interesting people-watching too, as you stood outside waiting for your order -- different colors & creeds, all temporarily united in the name of fresh, not just warm, but HOT glazed donuts!

Ahhh...brings back memories of Friday "donut day" in our office downtown. Our boss lived not far from Dutch Girl Donuts, so always brought them when it was his turn. Thankful for his introduction as I've enjoyed them for the last four decades! Looking forward to their Grand Re-Opening!!

This goes back a ways, but wasn't it called "Dixie Creme" or "Dixie Queen" or something similar back in the 60s - 70s? Last time I went there was with a friend in about July 1972 after a munchie attack.

I preferred "Dunk Donuts" [[not Dunkin, just Dunk) on 6 Mile just east of Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    This goes back a ways, but wasn't it called "Dixie Creme" or "Dixie Queen" or something similar back in the 60s - 70s? Last time I went there was with a friend in about July 1972 after a munchie attack.

I preferred "Dunk Donuts" [[not Dunkin, just Dunk) on 6 Mile just east of Woodward.

The pot was pretty good back then, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The pot was pretty good back then, eh?
    I haven't partaken since the 80s, but all I hear is that modern scientifically cultivated cannabis is way more potent than the "skunk" or "ditch" weed of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    I haven't partaken since the 80s, but all I hear is that modern scientifically cultivated cannabis is way more potent than the "skunk" or "ditch" weed of that time.

Theoretically, maybe. I am not a user, but had a toke of the newfangled stuff a couple of years ago and I didn't get much of a buzz. The smell is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I was off donuts for three entire years then they opened up a Duck Donuts in Troy. I had to try it and it wasn't that good. That set me off, now i'm back to eating donuts again.
    Duck is one of those goofy "artisanal" donut places somewhat inspired by Voodoo donuts in Portland. Fruit Loop donuts and bacon maple donuts, stuff like that, and they cost several dollars *each* I'm sure it's fine if you are into that kind of thing, but I'm not.

I prefer the Daily Dozen on Woodward by 14-mile. Very well made plain donuts at a decent price. The Donut Cutter is also pretty good, also on Woodward by Catalpa. Donut Castle in Warren probably has the best regular donuts I've had in the Detroit area.

Still, I'm excited to try Dutch Girl when they reopen. A bit further down the road than Donut Cutter, but cruising down Woodward is fun