Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You did have a say,do not be crying on my shoulder because you choose to remain silent

Did anybody call you up and asked you if it was okay to name it Gordie Howell ,or did they just say,this is the name we picked.

You are paying $6 billion plus yearly operating costs and yet nobody felt it was prudent to get public input on the naming or even necessary?

As a taxpayer It is your civil duty to question how every dime is spent,I just happen to have a bridge I will sell you,$2 billion cash,you save $4 billion plus interest.

You have the right to question anything government related and a duty,it’s not a case of shut up and sit down while we tell you how it will be.

If that is how it is,Checkpoint Charlie 2 would be a fitting name for it.

Your question of why were you not asked ,weighs more heavy then you think and is a valid one.

You have to love a world where somebody can just say - By the way,you owe me $6 billion do not worry about the details,we will let you know if and when we feel like it.

You would not even buy a new car under those circumstances,let alone sign off on a $6 billion dollar debt that you have zero control over but yet required to pay.

They spent more time and effort trying to cut off the ambassadors nuts when they should have held a naming competition and drummed up support that way and got people involved and excited in a positive way.

I think it would have been cool as hell to do a Lego themed bridge,it would have been world recognized and the tourist draw would have paid for it.

But not for nothing the bridges that you used as an example,are not international crossings,but I could be wrong.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of spending $6 billion while telling people to shut up and sit down,it does not portray an international theme of friendship.

Soooo when do you wish to take delivery of my bridge?
    His name is HOWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    His name is HOWE.
    Its' fast becoming The Troll - or sorry, you meant Gordie's name.

Ambassador Bridge. Does it have a future?

The Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ontario is an iconic landmark connecting Canada and the United States. This suspension bridge spans the Detroit River and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.

The bridge has been in operation since 1929 and is an important link between the two countries. However, the Gordie Howe Bridge, will, once open, number the days of the Ambassador Bridge....

4. Default

It was called Detroit River International Crossing while they kept trying to get it passed on Election Days. In my opinion, one reason for the name change was to make it more sentimental so Michiganders would vote yes on the proposal.

- Add to that - it’s freeee,but not really.

I still think they doubled the price of it so the free part is actually Canadas side. Or Michigan taxpayers can just look at it is costing them $3 billion in interest to borrow the money from the Canadian taxpayers to pay for their side.

Pretty slick way of doing it.

They could have named it the,Gotcha international bridge.

^ As for the name of the new bridge... your incessant comments on the subject are duly noted...
    Last edited by Gistok; August-29-23 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ As for the name of the new bridge... your incessant comments on the subject are duly noted...
    My incessant comments are similar to yours,just wearing a different suit,they are not going to change anything.

Stop being so negative and look for the silver lining in things,at least my post was relatively short,you need to be able to except the wins when you can.

My incessant comments are similar to yours,just wearing a different suit,they are not going to change anything.

Stop being so negative and look for the silver lining in things,at least my post was relatively short,you need to be able to except the wins when you can.

Except except don’t mean accept, none, Richered.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Except except don’t mean accept, none, Richered.
    i figured somebody would cross that bridge given time,would not want to make people left out

As a canuky taxpayer what are you doing with your share of that $3b windfall ? It will be in USD so it has some value anyways.

i figured somebody would cross that bridge given time,would not want to make people left out

As a canuky taxpayer what are you doing with your share of that $3b windfall ? It will be in USD so it has some value anyways.

We could probably ask Michiganders how much they like contributing to rebuilding Florida’s housing/infrastructure every time a major storm hits it via the Feds emergency funding.

The more Florida grows, the more costly it becomes. Heck, on a state level, major insurers are pulling outta there big time.

^ I take it you are not aware of how much property people from Michigan and Canada actually own down here,probably more so from any other state.

We have a multi billion dollar fund for hurricane emergencies so really not much fed stuff involved and a majority of the high cost damage happens to the beachfront homes and condos that are built by pension funds out of Michigan and Canada so on the fed side they are actually paying to rebuild their own stuff because it is pricey real estate.

Insurance companies are doing what they always are,collecting money then when it comes to having to pay out it is a fight.

The interesting thing is that in my 40 years here the only time insurance companies did not fight was when Bush was president and his son was governor back when hurricane Charlie hit.

Actually as a rule the ones that have insurance beach side that are not corporate end up having to leave after being there for generations because if the new rebuild regulations that are insane due to stupid climate change fears.

So only the very rich or pension funds can afford to build back and they self insure for the most part.

My properties are paid for and were all built in the 1920s / 30s when hurricanes were prevalent so they were built strong and raised off the ground,so I can self insure in an interest bearing account verses paying into a insurance company with no return.

If Detroit keeps flooding it going to be the same up there,all across the country if insurance companies have to pay out after decades of collecting they want to stop covering,that is a national issue not being addressed on a national level like it should be.

But considering 350k people are moving here each year,insurance does not seem to be the deterrent that keeps them from making that decision.

An empty 60x80 lot on Fort Meyers beach is now $1.5 million just for the sand.

Hurricanes and fires are no different then running highways through cities,they flush out the poor to make room so the rich can have a new playground.

Watch what happens in Maui .
    Last edited by Richard; August-30-23 at 11:34 AM.

'This is really exciting': Gordie Howe International Bridge's Detroit tower reaches final height, nearly as tall as RenCen

Officials with the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority announced this week the U.S. tower has reached its full height of 722 [feet]....

WATCH: Drone footage shows latest progress on Gordie Howe International Bridge as project still on track for 2024 end date

Back at the end of August the tower on the U.S. side of the Detroit River reached its full height of 722 feet – the second tallest structure in Detroit. Now officials with the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority say the tower on the Canadian side is getting close.

While good progress is being made on the towers, as well as the bridge deck itself sitting at about 50% complete, officials on Thursday shared new drone footage of the progress being made on the Michigan interchange.

How about the Rum Runner bridge!? LOL.

Enthusiasm is wasted on the enthused.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Enthusiasm is wasted on the enthused.
    I see this all the time on Facebook [[where I admin several pages)... someone new comes on, and comments on a bunch of old threads, thus pushing them to the top, and the opened newer threads are all pushed down below on the thread list page. Nobody does this intentionally, but it is an unintended side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Nobody does this intentionally,....
    You're too kind. Maybe this case is unintentional but I have watched others deliberately bury threads they don't like. It doesn't work very well though.

MV Kaye E. Barker Freighter Passing
    The Gordie Howe International Bridge
    DJI Mini Pro 4
    Kaye E. Barker freighter ship going up the Detroit River in Detroit, Michigan.

The MV Kaye E. Barker is a self-discharging lake freighter owned and operated by the Interlake Steamship Company.

DJI Mini Pro 4 aerial drone video in 4K.

Wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I'm ecstatic its named for Howe. He's a great man of note in both areas that the bridge connects. He personified hard work, toughness, and persistence.

Exactly. Those qualities describe the region.

Gordie Howe International Bridge now expected to be completed in Sept. 2025
    The opening of a new international bridge connecting the U.S. and Canada is going to take nearly a year longer, with a completion date now set for September 2025.

The Gordie Howe International Bridge, which began construction in fall 2018, was originally planned to be completed in November 2024 but was delayed due to complications of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Until now, there was only speculation whether the bridge's completion might be pushed back into 2025, but the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority and Bridging North America finally confirmed the bridge's delayed schedule on Thursday....

After a three-year pandemic

Who had a 3 year pandemic?

our project team is pleased that the impact to the construction schedule is limited to only 10 months beyond the original contracted completion date and that we could agree on a reasonable adjustment to the contract value,"

In 2018 it was $2.68 billion to build ,I guess an extra $2 billion plus is just dinner and a date money in the grand scheme of things.

The year is 2029 - do to delays caused by the pandemic back in 2020 we will not be able to ship on time.

Its become the catch-all for excuses.
    Last edited by Richard; January-04-24 at 08:24 PM.

After a three-year pandemic

Who had a 3 year pandemic?

March 11, 2020 to May 11, 2023 = 3+ years

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4