Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Canadian and American hockey fans. Windsor has museums, excellent ethnic restaurants, and other venues as does Detroit. A great opportunity was missed [IMO] to showcase the area, what it has to offer, and attract tourism and business by doing the SOS. With all respect to Mr. Howe, family and friends. Why name it after "a person" at all?

The renaming of the Tappan Zee bridge between Tarrytown and Nyack, NY for the Mario M Cuomo bridge was pretty controversial. It pissed a lot of people off. In that case, the prior name had been well established, and appreciated, and the accolade to Cuomo could have been something else that people cared less about, IMO.

The Champlain bridge bywn Montreal and the South shore suburbs is an international bridge of sorts, since it is the main highway link to border crossings [[the closest 45 minutes away) in NY, Vermont and also New Hampshire. The old Champlain bridge is being demolished at the coat of a half billion, the new one cost 4 or 5 billion, and was renamed Samuel De Champlain bridge, they forgot to give the First one a full name, which is technically a no-no. But Champlain is totally justified because he is historically significant in Quebec, Ontario, as well as NY and Vermont, not to mention Mass and Maine…

Naming the new bridge between the US and Canada for Gordie Howe could not be more appropriate. In general, I believe no public facility should be named after a living person.

Default Naming Gordie Howe bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Dave Bradley, head of the Ontario Trucking Ass'n, suggested the name. Some Canadian politicians liked it and I assume no American politicians opposed it.
    My understanding it was the idea of fomer Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper, whose gov't approved the bridge. Harper was something of a hockey nut, and even wrote a book on the sport, 'A Great Game..' The idea was to "bridge" not just physically but socially/culturally the two nations with a famous person's name, someone who was born in Canada but played hockey for a US [[mainly Detroit) team. That makes sense though I never really liked the name - too jockish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtK-2khay3s

I remember hearing that on WXYZ 1270 AM in the mornings getting ready for school.

I'm just glad they didn't name it after coleman...

Gordie Howe International Bridge In Detroit, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
    I'm just glad they didn't name it after coleman...
    Or Kwame.

Maybe the King-Howe Bridge?

I saw a cool old bridge the other day,it was named EST 1921.

I just had to laugh at the overly dramatic elevator music:

Comprehensive solutions designed for new Canada-to-USA bridge construction project.

AlumaSafway, a BrandSafway company, is providing access stairs as well as an elevator on the Canada bridge site in Windsor, Ontario. BrandSafway is supplying the elevator on the United States bridge site in Detroit, Michigan. The two elevators will provide access for on-site personnel along the height of the main pylons and to the jump form systems during construction.

Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority [[WDBA), a Canadian Crown corporation, is responsible for the delivery of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, through a public-private partnership. Its private-sector partner Bridging North America began working on the project in 2018. Once completed, the new bridge will be among the top five longest bridges in North America at a total length 1.5 miles. In addition to providing much-needed cross-border capacity for commercial and personal vehicles at the busiest trade corridor between Canada and the United States, the bridge will include a dedicated multi-use path for pedestrians and cyclists. Article via
    https://brandsafway.com/media/brandsa...

Gordie Howe was an all-time great Hockey player. I still think the bridge should have been named after someone more significant to the history surrounding the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Gordie Howe was an all-time great Hockey player. I still think the bridge should have been named after someone more significant to the history surrounding the region.
    If it was going to be named after a person I'm not sure how you could find someone else who satisfied the majority of people on both sides of the border. I certainly can't think of anyone.

I'm ecstatic its named for Howe. He's a great man of note in both areas that the bridge connects. He personified hard work, toughness, and persistence.

I guess it is better then a more fitting name of checkpoint Charlie.

Ambassador bridge,fitting name sense the region was truly the ambassador to the world at the time it was constructed,but sense it is a local bridge and not an international one where the region has more inspiration to play follow the leader and not even attempt to re-claim the innovators to the world,it would be fitting to name it after what somebody was verses who they were.

Considering 95% of the rest of the world would not have a clue who he was or even care if they crossed over,so it really has no meaning outside of those who are into hockey on a regional level.

But yet all of the press references it as an international bridge,when it is really just a 6 billion dollar local bridge.

O wait it is innovative because they threw a bicycle path in the mix,but nothing mass transit related .

If it was going to be named after a person I'm not sure how you could find someone else who satisfied the majority of people on both sides of the border. I certainly can't think of anyone.
    Neither can I.

If it could be named after a group of people, it could've been named after US and Canadian D-Day veterans [["American-Canadian D-Day Veteran Memorial Bridge" or something).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I guess it is better then a more fitting name of checkpoint Charlie.

Ambassador bridge,fitting name sense the region was truly the ambassador to the world at the time it was constructed,but sense it is a local bridge and not an international one where the region has more inspiration to play follow the leader and not even attempt to re-claim the innovators to the world,it would be fitting to name it after what somebody was verses who they were.

Considering 95% of the rest of the world would not have a clue who he was or even care if they crossed over,so it really has no meaning outside of those who are into hockey on a regional level.

But yet all of the press references it as an international bridge,when it is really just a 6 billion dollar local bridge.

O wait it is innovative because they threw a bicycle path in the mix,but nothing mass transit related .
    In reality, there are people all over Europe who follow the NHL. I was in a restaurant in Czechia a few years ago and when the waiter found out I was from Detroit all he wanted to talk about was hockey.

At least those from Michigan and Ontario... which is all that really matters...

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    In reality, there are people all over Europe who follow the NHL. I was in a restaurant in Czechia a few years ago and when the waiter found out I was from Detroit all he wanted to talk about was hockey.
    Resist the temptation to feed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    At least those from Michigan and Ontario... which is all that really matters...
    As long as federal funds were involved,your money you can give away willy nilly but when you are also spending other peoples money,there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    8 billion people in the world and you found 1 guy in Chechnya that knew about hockey in Detroit,I am 63 and never even heard of Mr Howell in my life before this thread. And was born in this country.

It would be somebody that deserved recognition on a international level.

Like for instance Henry Ford - just as an example but he not only influenced Detroit and Canada but the world,not him particularly because of his dark side but there has to be somebody that moved the world between Canada and the United States other then even name it the Vito Rizzuto bridge sense the major cities in Canada would not exist as they are today without his investments.

Or even the Trump bridge based on there is nobody on even the most remote parts of the planet that does not know who he is,name recognition brings tourists which brings money.

Thats the sad part of your post though and a good question,apparently there are slim pickings when it comes to individuals that went above and beyond between the two countries that would also be recognized across the world.

Who in Canada had a groundbreaking pivotal moment in time that changed the course in history between the two countries when it comes to trade?

In order for people to appreciate the meaning behind the name they have to understand it and sense clearly people would not be able to comprehend anything more then 4 words,when questioned you would have to reply - a hockey player.

And people would say - yea okay,how much is the toll ?

10 years from now it will all be just a faded memory,just like the Carnegie libraries across the country,most are derilict,shuttered or demolished.
    Last edited by Richard; August-14-23 at 06:42 PM.

As long as federal funds were involved,your money you can give away willy nilly but when you are also spending other peoples money,there is a difference.
    OK... I'll bite... when did any of us have a saying when the 11 longest bridge in the USA, in Louisiana, was rebuilt with federal [FEMA funds likely] after Hurricane Katrina, and named the Frank Davis Memorial Bridge... after a dude that used to fish near the bridge!

Did I miss the naming of this? Why weren't we asked??

https://triponzy.com/blog/longest-bridges-in-usa/

And how would this differ from the naming of the Gordy Howe Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... I'll bite... when did any of us have a saying when the 11 longest bridge in the USA, in Louisiana, was rebuilt with federal [FEMA funds likely] after Hurricane Katrina, and named the Frank Davis Memorial Bridge... after a dude that used to fish near the bridge!

Did I miss the naming of this? Why weren't we asked??

https://triponzy.com/blog/longest-bridges-in-usa/

And how would this differ from the naming of the Gordy Howe Bridge?
    You did have a say,do not be crying on my shoulder because you choose to remain silent

Did anybody call you up and asked you if it was okay to name it Gordie Howell ,or did they just say,this is the name we picked.

You are paying $6 billion plus yearly operating costs and yet nobody felt it was prudent to get public input on the naming or even necessary?

As a taxpayer It is your civil duty to question how every dime is spent,I just happen to have a bridge I will sell you,$2 billion cash,you save $4 billion plus interest.

You have the right to question anything government related and a duty,it’s not a case of shut up and sit down while we tell you how it will be.

If that is how it is,Checkpoint Charlie 2 would be a fitting name for it.

Your question of why were you not asked ,weighs more heavy then you think and is a valid one.

You have to love a world where somebody can just say - By the way,you owe me $6 billion do not worry about the details,we will let you know if and when we feel like it.

You would not even buy a new car under those circumstances,let alone sign off on a $6 billion dollar debt that you have zero control over but yet required to pay.

They spent more time and effort trying to cut off the ambassadors nuts when they should have held a naming competition and drummed up support that way and got people involved and excited in a positive way.

I think it would have been cool as hell to do a Lego themed bridge,it would have been world recognized and the tourist draw would have paid for it.

But not for nothing the bridges that you used as an example,are not international crossings,but I could be wrong.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of spending $6 billion while telling people to shut up and sit down,it does not portray an international theme of friendship.

Soooo when do you wish to take delivery of my bridge?
    Last edited by Richard; August-14-23 at 07:39 PM.

Soooo when do you wish to take delivery of my bridge?

Awww. Yes. What will it be?

The Independent'sThinker Bridge, or
    more spefisickly; The Richered Bridge?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast