Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Detroit, Detroit
    Got a hell of a hockey team
    Got a left-handed way
    Of making a man sign up on that..."

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    People forget that Howe was born and raised in Canada [[Saskatchewan) then played for an American hockey team. It's an appropriate name for the bridge.
    It’s not that people forget,more so if one is not into hockey it has no meaning,so it pays tribute to a small part of the population.

Its kinda like the whole Robo Cop proposal,what percentage of the population even relates to it.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-23 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    But do you know the real name of the Belle Isle bridge? Think US Army, WWII and corncob pipe.
    I did not,but pretty cool history lesson and that is still the official name.

It reminds me of renaming streets and buildings,people that remember still refer to them as they were.

4. Default

If a positive-ratings poll had been taken of popular Detroiters during Gordie's lifetime, he would likely have topped the poll. Everybody loved Gordie, his family and his legacy. For that reason the choice of his name by the bridge authority was genius. While the complicated funding had some remaining hurdles and the Moroun's still held some faint hopes of torpedoing the project, that sealed it.

Did a commission approve the name?

I just read up on the bridge statistics... the 2 towers will each be 722 ft. tall, which is 5 ft. shorter than the Renaissance Center hotel.

The Douglas MacArthur Bridge. Wait.....that's already taken................

I love the name. Gordie Howe was a great guy with ties to both countries.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I love the name.
    Pretty much everybody does. Never heard of any complaints from either side of the border - except for some guy from Florida.

Only a Florida Man could get the name of the bridge to Belle Isle wrong, yet use that laughable mistake as proof to support his crazed belief that Gordy Howe was not known to Canadians.

Like dog shit stuck to the waffle soles of a pair of Timberlands, there is no way to get rid of Florida Man.

Canada paid for it. Canada named it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pretty much everybody does. Never heard of any complaints from either side of the border - except for some guy from Florida.
    Between you and the apparently senile lawn ornament reading comprehension is not your best forte.

I bet it was costly to pull off an international poll in order to get those results.

Out of 350 million in the U.S. alone I would bet more never heard of the guy then did.

But sense it was never about the person it is a moot point,the question was Who decided the name,my line of thinking was it appropriate for an international bridge,because there is no other international bridge or crossing named after an individual.

But you are correct it is a local bridge,paid for with local funds and every other taxpayer in the country that also is paying for it should shut up.

It must be pretty cold up there because The molasses is running slow and thick.

You took the naming of an international border crossing and the question of if it was an appropriate way to pay tribute to somebody’s career when internationally most will not even know who the guy is,turned it into a character assignation by putting words in other peoples posts in order to appease your silly little narrative that has zero relevance to the discussion.

Once again between you and the lawn ornament,there are actually very few original Florida born residents left,what the majority is people that have transferred from other states,a lot from Michigan,so the cut of Florida Man is more indicative of how you feel about the quality of your neighbors that transferred to Florida.

So your “Florida Man” hails as a majority from Michigan,New York,New Jersey and Illinois sooooo …..
    Last edited by Richard; May-24-23 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
    Canada paid for it. Canada named it. Simple as that.

They put the money up front,the U.S. taxpayers and Michigan owes so far $2.5 billion to Canada and it is not finished,to be deducted from future tolls,as long as they are there to cover the tab,otherwise you will need to open your wallet and cover the negative balance.

The city of Detroit also paid for it by giving up a tax base forever,that the rest of the citizens have to kick in more in order to cover that loss.

So all of these taxpayers are just expected to make sacrifices and cover losses and STFU and most of the ones that take that attitude apparently do not have a clue on the differences between a local bridge and an international crossing.

Lol let’s just hand 2.5 billion over plus interest to Canada for an international bridge but have zero say in anything? Suckers
    Last edited by Richard; May-24-23 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Between you and the apparently senile lawn ornament reading comprehension is not your best forte.

I bet it was costly to pull off an international poll in order to get those results.

Out of 350 million in the U.S. alone I would bet more never heard of the guy then did.

But sense it was never about the person it is a moot point,the question was Who decided the name,my line of thinking was it appropriate for an international bridge,because there is no other international bridge or crossing named after an individual.

But you are correct it is a local bridge,paid for with local funds and every other taxpayer in the country that also is paying for it should shut up.

It must be pretty cold up there because The molasses is running slow and thick.

You took the naming of an international border crossing and the question of if it was an appropriate way to pay tribute to somebody’s career when internationally most will not even know who the guy is,turned it into a character assignation by putting words in other peoples posts in order to appease your silly little narrative that has zero relevance to the discussion.

Once again between you and the lawn ornament,there are actually very few original Florida born residents left,what the majority is people that have transferred from other states,a lot from Michigan,so the cut of Florida Man is more indicative of how you feel about the quality of your neighbors that transferred to Florida.

So your “Florida Man” hails as a majority from Michigan,New York,New Jersey and Illinois sooooo …..

If you wait long enough, somebody somewhere will name a bridge after you; the Richard Bridge. Just sit tight.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If you wait long enough, somebody somewhere will name a bridge after you; the Richard Bridge. Just sit tight.
    Lol. Maybe the Cobo roof parking ramp that just goes in circles?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Lol. Maybe the Cobo roof parking ramp that just goes in circles?

Yes. I agree. You have to fit the name to the context, or vice versa, accordingly, lol. It’s a circular affair.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    meh already have streets,highways,schools,national parks that carry my last name or the same as, so I really do not need individual reconigtion.

He's Mr. Hockey and absolutely revered in both Canada and Detroit. I can't think of a better name for an international bridge connecting Detroit to Ontario. I assume you know that by Ontario I am referring to a province of Canada. Ultimately, and r his is just my opinion, I could give a rats ass about the lack of knowledge of people that are not from the area. And if you are from Michigan you should know the name even if you don't follow hockey. Anything less amounts to an ignorant lack of knowledge of the regions history. Can't help with that. However, ignorance is certainly not a reason to change the name.

You've been here for a while lurking Hank... welcome to the group as a participant!

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Graper View Post
    He's Mr. Hockey and absolutely revered in both Canada and Detroit. I can't think of a better name for an international bridge connecting Detroit to Ontario. I assume you know that by Ontario I am referring to a province of Canada. Ultimately, and r his is just my opinion, I could give a rats ass about the lack of knowledge of people that are not from the area. And if you are from Michigan you should know the name even if you don't follow hockey. Anything less amounts to an ignorant lack of knowledge of the regions history. Can't help with that. However, ignorance is certainly not a reason to change the name.
    Best post of the year period.

Having Hank in Adirondack all these years when he should have been here in Detroit on the first line was obviously a oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    meh already have streets,highways,schools,national parks that carry my last name or the same as, so I really do not need individual reconigtion.

Gordie played his last game of hockey at age 69. His career spanned 5 decades. He didn’t have to beg for recognition.

No knock or disrespect to Gordie, but they should have named that bridge after a dignitary from this area or state who fought and helped bring change for the greater good of people. Whoever that may be..
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-27-23 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    No knock or disrespect to Gordie, but they should have named that bridge after a dignitary from this area or state who fought and helped bring change for the greater good of people. Whoever that may be..

Forget it Jake, it's hockeytown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Can't think of anyone else that would better suit both Canadians and Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Can't think of anyone else that would better suit both Canadians and Americans.

Canadian and American hockey fans. Windsor has museums, excellent ethnic restaurants, and other venues as does Detroit. A great opportunity was missed [IMO] to showcase the area, what it has to offer, and attract tourism and business by doing the SOS. With all respect to Mr. Howe, family and friends. Why name it after "a person" at all?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-27-23 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast