Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    This was the year my dad, the DPD Inspector, retired and moved us to a small town at the base of the thumb...
    I was miserable
    Your dad was smart. Detroit's decline began with Young.

Young addressed important, unaddressed issues. I don't blame him for his policies. But they were divisive and hurt blacks more than they have helped.

Young could have led Detroit away from bigotry, but he fed the beast. Lost opportunity.

I hope we can realize now that only by discarding the race hustlers can we succeed together.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Your dad was smart. Detroit's decline began with Young.
    There is no sense in which Detroit's decline began with Young. And I say that as someone who did not like Young, and who is perfectly willing to agree that he wasn't at all helpful. But Detroit's decline began a couple decades earlier, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    ...But Detroit's decline began a couple decades earlier, at least.
    Depends how you define decline.

My father was on the force for 37 years, went through 3 "riots" and the previous declining years and loved the city with all his heart. Young was the last straw; claimed he had arrested him when he was a young man and wasn't going to work for someone he had put in jail. Dad was coming up on retirement and decided it was time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    There is no sense in which Detroit's decline began with Young. And I say that as someone who did not like Young, and who is perfectly willing to agree that he wasn't at all helpful. But Detroit's decline began a couple decades earlier, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My father was on the force for 37 years, went through 3 "riots"
    Check this out, the Detroit Historical Society encyclopedia of Detroit refers to the 1967 riots as The Uprising of 1967 is also known as the Detroit Rebellion of 1967”. I have never heard or seen it referred to in that way. It’s the line of text at the very bottom edge of the image.

Name:  rebellion.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  36.5 KB

A friend of mine is the Curator Emeritus of the Detroit Historical Society and edited the book "Detroit 1967" and the first time I heard of the Uprising of 1967/Detroit Rebellion of 1967 was in that book and at a talk I went to regarding it. Book came out in 2017. It appears that academics and others have taken to referring to the event that way in recent years; that's why I put "riots" in quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Check this out, the Detroit Historical Society encyclopedia of Detroit refers to the 1967 riots as The Uprising of 1967 is also known as the Detroit Rebellion of 1967”. I have never heard or seen it referred to in that way. It’s the line of text at the very bottom edge of the image.

Name:  rebellion.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  36.5 KB

In the late 1980s After Young took care of what's left of Detroit business. He decided to take a Hawaiian vacation saying "Aloha Motherf---!"