Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Another Gilbert owned building going residential-Harvard Square Centre

The historic Dan Gilbert-owned Harvard Square Centre building on Broadway downtown is targeted for a residential conversion.

The project, which received $5 million in public funding last year from the state through a $13.74 million grant to the Downtown Detroit Partnership, would turn the 58,000-square-foot building into residential units on the second through 10th floors, and create about 6,000 square feet of retail/commercial space below.

An email was sent to a spokesperson for Gilbert's Bedrock LLC real estate company seeking additional details on Thursday.

The Downtown Detroit Partnership pegs the redevelopment at $43 million. A report last year from the nonprofit says 34 units are planned.

Representatives of a Bedrock affiliate are slated to appear next month before the Detroit Historic District Commission as the building is a contributing structure in the Broadway Avenue Local Historic District. It is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...tre-apartments

As Gilbert town Detroit grows.

this is good news though, that building is gorgeous and long deserving of a rehab. iirc the white building on the north corner of that block is slated for reno into a hotel, and the low-rises on the block have an interesting design for an upward expansion and alley activation.

kuuma, good to hear that Harvard Square is going to be developed. I thought that development should have happened years ago. I don't think I like the idea of the extension to those three shorter buildings. Wouldn't developing them with that extension mean tearing down most of them and just keeping the facades? Kudos again for Harvard Square.

Reading that description of the three shorter buildings being redeveloped, I was puzzled by the use of the word "feet" instead of "foot. Shouldn't it read, "...building an 8 story, 80,000 square "foot" new building?" If it said that the building will consist of 80,000 square "feet" of residential space, then I'm good. Just wondering.

Perhaps movement here will convince someone, unless Gilbert owns this as well, to do some ground up residential in the lot next to Harvard Square. With how that area is coming along I think you could pretty easily put a building of decent height there and fill it with people. The proximity to Hudson's and Shinola is a selling point but those views from there would be spectacular.

^Southern, I believe Hamilton, Anderson, and Associates had plans for the property next to Harvard Square, but nothing happened. However, I agree that that parking lot would be a nice spot for a new-built. If done, that whole block would have a complete street wall.

BTW, whatever happened to the proposed development behind the Music Hall on Randolph?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    ^Southern, I believe Hamilton, Anderson, and Associates had plans for the property next to Harvard Square, but nothing happened. However, I agree that that parking lot would be a nice spot for a new-built. If done, that whole block would have a complete street wall.

BTW, whatever happened to the proposed development behind the Music Hall on Randolph?
    Did that hop the alley? I know they were going to expand on the Centre St. side.

I think still in the works but moving at Ilitch speed.

At well over $1million per unit, the numbers in the Crain's article seem pretty un-serious. I've seen that same $43 million total investment number thrown around by the DDP as well. Doesn't make it any more credible. Yes, the project is a complete gut-rehab, but c'mon. The Bedrock affiliate developing the building is seeking HDC approval for exterior work at this month's meeting but its materials do not include any kind of project dollar numbers. The project seems great. Just don't know how 34 units turns into $43 million.