Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Couldn't find to post it, but my favorite article this off-season was from a guy who praised every move the Lions made this off-season, but ended it with a paragraph mentioning, "Are we sure we're not being set-up to be kicked in the balls by this team yet again?"
    LOL. I can't say I haven't thought the same thing. How often have we seen a team take a major step forward after down years and then revert right back the next? Combine that with Detroit teams recent results and the fact that it IS the Lions after all. They look pretty solid on paper though!

This feels different, but it has to turn out different before fans actually believe it.

In the past, the Lions have usually been the butt of the joke. We'd make big moves, or hire the next big coach/GM/etc. and the rest of the league would nod and smile politely, all while realizing that those great hires would probably be unemployed if not for the Lions.

In the past, success was fleeting and everyone knew it was only temporary. In my many decades of watching the Lions, only two seasons seemed 'real'. 1991, when they actually won a playoff game and looked like they were heading upward, and 2014, when they should have won a playoff game. Other than that, even when they'd make it into the playoffs, nobody was surprised when they'd come up short.

In the past, the Lions tried to fix the problems by simply reversing course. Locker room too laid back under Wayne Fontes? Hire the strict Bobby Ross. Team too emotional under Jim Schwartz? Hire the emotionless Jim Caldwell. Etc., etc. etc.

In the past, you could watch the Lions play at 1pm, then watch the later game, and wonder why other teams could make it look so easy to play well and wonder why we could make it look easy to look unprepared and a step or two behind.

Now, it seems like we may have finally started to peek from all of that. Our front office, our coaches, and players have respect around the league. Articles are being written about our front office undergoing a rebuild, and overwhelmingly, the theme isn't 'what NOT to do'. Instead, terms like 'blueprint' and 'model' are being used. Coaches are getting opportunities with other teams. Our free agents are being pursued. Other free agents, that other teams want, are coming here, and aren't having to be overpaid to do so.

But, knowing all this, that last sentence above makes perfect sense. Because now our expectations are higher. The owner is running this like a real football team. The front office is assembling a team built both for both now and later. The coaches have a vision. The players are listening to the coaches. The fans are watching. People outside of Detroit are using terms like 'for real' when describing this team.

So, with all that, if everything that's happening now doesn't lead to some true measure of success, that would truly break the hearts of fans. Yes, in the past we've been heartbroken, but most will admit, the failures were just sort of expected.

This has to work. If it doesn't, this will hurt way more. But, on the flip side, if this works and they do start winning actual things like division titles, playoff games, conference championships, etc., then it will feel so much better.

So, let's just go with that option.

[QUOTE=Bong-Man;633306 "Are we sure we're not being set-up to be kicked in the balls..."[/QUOTE]

The Armageddon scenario is that the Lions have a 24-point lead in the next Superbowl, but WW3 starts during the halftime show.

P.S. The only good news is that the Ilitch enterprise is at ground zero with all members present.

A playoff appearance and a playoff win. That is the only thing that will make me happy. A playoff appearance is not enough, it has to be followed by the 2nd playoff win in my lifetime. This is the same thing I've been saying for years, maybe decades.

I have been had by this team many, many times throughout the years. I'm wary, let's just put it like that.

^ Would it really be the end all though? A first round victory then getting thumped out in a lopsided game in the next round? Would we really be thinking that was just awesome we finally won a playoff game! I think if we really are honest about it we want to be competitive in the playoffs. Not just get a soft matchup on wildcard weekend. We want respect, to be feared by the other teams. More than just ‘hey look at the Lions, they won one for the first time in a generation!’ I think deep down the only thing that will be satisfying will be to kick some ass and take some names in this league. Is this the regime that will deliver? Time will tell. Many bridges still to cross.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; April-14-23 at 09:15 PM.

Many around the league questioning why the Lions drafted 2nd-3rd round pics in the 1st round & the rationale behind the decision when they traded down? Even Gibbs was shocked he was picked in the 1st round? SOL.

Part of it had to do with us losing a couple receivers due to the gambling issue in the locker room. And how many first round draft picks have we had that ended up being total flops? a fair number IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Many around the league questioning why the Lions drafted 2nd-3rd round pics in the 1st round & the rationale behind the decision when they traded down? Even Gibbs was shocked he was picked in the 1st round? SOL.

The Lions are taking a beating by the draft analysts for not going for defense after finishing 30th in the league. They improved the offense though that was already explosive. I didn't understand what Holmes was doing either. He dropped to 12th to take a RB [[ they just signed Montgomery) when plenty of top ranked defensive players were still on the board, especially edge rushers to compliment Hutchinson on the other side. Nolan Smith, Myles Murphy, Calijah Kancey, and Van Ness. Then they compound it at 18, by taking Campbell who was way down the draft board for LB's. He was a reach IMO, but we'll see. Maybe he can make up for these gaffes in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but I'm not really impressed with their draft to this point. I'll reserve judgement to see if they work out. Maybe Holmes sees things the average person doesn't. The team I'm impressed with is the Eagles. They took Nolan Smith and Jalen Carter to add to former Georgia teammates Jordan Davis and Nakoke Dean for the best D Line in the NFL. Philly led the league in sacks with 70 last year.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-29-23 at 06:49 AM.

Last thing I want to do is sound like a slappy, but I'm excited to see the Lions offense next season. I know you don't take running backs in the first round but this Gibbs guy they picked just seems electric.

So would Hooker be expected to be the primary back-up right away?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Good question. As soon as Hooker is healthy it would make sense to get him as much practice with the first team offense to develop as fast as possible then on the other hand if Goff goes down a pure rookie sure is high risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    At this point, it seems like Sudfeld is still the backup to Jared Goff. Hooker probably won't be fully rehabbed by the beginning of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    At this point, it seems like Sudfeld is still the backup to Jared Goff. Hooker probably won't be fully rehabbed by the beginning of the season.
    I knew about the injury but totally forgot when I posted.
    Next year's draft is supposed to be downtown on Woodward but what about Ford hosting it in front of the train depot like KC?
    Lots of space out front, use the lobby as the green room just as KC did and Ford gets all kinds of publicity for their new mobility complex.

Cass Tech grad Zach Morton [[Akron DE) has signed as a UDFA with the Detroit Lions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2