Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Looking at the big picture, Michigan's problem is that it's still heavily reliant on theae floundering dinosaurs for its prosperity, which will make it to difficult to compete with other states to attract new residents/investments.
    Of what dinosaurs do you speak, vehicles or people?

At this rate and IF I was up there,both me and my vehicles would fit into that category the way I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    The cynic in me says watch for a bankruptcy filing down the road by GM to shed itself of liabilities of ICE production and the formation of a new entity that encompasses the EV switch.
    For now, GM is still profitable and and doesn't seem to have many issues with recalls & product launches.

Ford, on the other hand, is a more likely candidate for bankruptcy in the near future [[if not an outright acquisition).

In this day and age would the federal government find support to consider GM & Ford,to big to fail if it comes down to it,I do not think so.

That card was played once before.
    They're not nearly as big as they were in 2008, so probably not.

For now, GM is still profitable and and doesn't seem to have many issues with recalls & product launches.

Ford, on the other hand, is a more likely candidate for bankruptcy in the near future [[if not an outright acquisition).
    As long as the 4th generation Ford 1st cousins are in agreement to keep their block of Class B voting stocks, and control 40% of the company's voting shares, I see a buyout much less likely than most other large publicly traded companies. But we shall see...

Daimler Chrysler did the same in 2008 or 2009; didn’t work out too well for them as 75% of their engineering staff took them up on it. DC had expected 25%….left entire departments understaffed from which they never really recovered.

Interesting the difference in attitude in the U.S. verses other countries

Germany has formed an alliance with Italy and some Eastern European countries opposing the planned phase-out of internal combustion engines from 2035, and they want to make their own proposal.

Wissing said the skepticism about phasing out internal combustion vehicles was shared by Italy, Poland and the Czech Republic, among others. He added that the group of countries wants a separate category of combustion-engine cars that could run on synthetic, carbon-neutral fuels, after 2035.
    "A ban on the combustion engine, when it can run in a climate-neutral way, seems a wrong approach for us," he said.

The CO2 law, the EU's main tool to speed up Europe's shift to electric vehicles, was put on hold earlier this month after last-minute opposition from Germany. That surprised policymakers in Brussels and other member states, since EU countries and the European Parliament had already agreed to a deal on the law last year.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/13/...n-engines-ban/

Cold feet after reality sets in?

I've been out of the dealership world for almost six years so I can’t answer except as using third party responses for that period but my friends that are still in that business might want to differ with you.

But the GM post bankruptcy period especially from 2012 through part of 2017 had its share of recalls, stop-sell orders on particular new and used models in dealership inventories and service parts shortages.

My favorite was when a recall was ordered and parts were sent out to the dealers and the recall started. Then abruptly we were informed of another recall, seems the part installed in the recall did not meet FMVSS so ANOTHER recall was added, those all had to be redone with a new redesigned to comply part……

I've been out of the dealership world for almost six years so I can’t answer except as using third party responses for that period but my friends that are still in that business might want to differ with you.

But the GM post bankruptcy period especially from 2012 through part of 2017 had its share of recalls, stop-sell orders on particular new and used models in dealership inventories and service parts shortages.

My favorite was when a recall was ordered and parts were sent out to the dealers and the recall started. Then abruptly we were informed of another recall, seems the part installed in the recall did not meet FMVSS so ANOTHER recall was added, those all had to be redone with a new redesigned to comply part……
    Yeah, 2017 is a long time in automotive. That period in particular was also when they had the whole ignition switch ordeal. They [[GM) have definitely improved quality-wise since them

When GM accepted the bailout back then,part of the agreement was that they had to transition into EVs by 2030.

That was already decided back in 2009.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2