Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    I think Ford has stopped work on the Michigan Central Train Station. The old building has been closed up with any large opening covered with sheeting. No construction activity can be seen in or around the building.
    I think that this image that Lowell saved shows that there is indeed interior work being done. Look at the beautiful interior of the main train station hall... not sure if the interior work is finished, but it certainly shows that work is continuing on the inside.

https://www.detroityes.com/webisodes...y-2023/002.jpg

Ford is continuing to buy up properties in the Corktown area....

An affiliate of Ford Motor Co.'s real estate arm has added more Corktown property to its sizable portfolio there.An entity called 20th Street Properties LLC, whose most recent annual statement filed with the state lists Ford Land Development Co. Chair and CEO Jim Dobleske as its officer, bought at least six properties earlier this year, according to land records filed with Wayne County. The deeds are dated Feb. 7.
    Included in the purchase is the Arrow Chemical Products Inc. property on St. Anne Street behind Michigan Central Station.
    In all, the six properties total about 1.1 acres and include three buildings totaling nearly 29,000 square feet, according to marketing materials from the Southfield office of Dallas-based CBRE Inc. from 2021.

The asking price at that time was $2.5 million although how much Ford paid is not known.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...entral-station

There is an enormous tunnel from the MCS to the Book Depository Building. As you can tell by the stains on the lower part of the pillars, this tunnel used to be flooded with water.

Image: Chad Conway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am hopeful that with all of the property that Ford owns in the area that they are committed to a truly mixed-use district. The project is already a winner but adding residential density around the office and green space will really make this special.

^ this is the plan outlined by Ford,they mentioned housing but also refers to it as a central hub for the 4 surrounding neighborhoods.

Almost like a little city center of sorts.

The site plan meets Detroit’s goal to develop walkable neighborhoods, full of quality retail, open space, amenities and multimodal transit options within 20 minutes. To foster vibrancy and density, the plan envisions a range of housing options alongside new public amenities like a grocery store and day care facility.

The plan was guided by three core design themes:

• Concentrate density around Michigan Central Station
    • Build a walkable area through a unique grouping of buildings and shared spaces
    • Co-create a neighborhood of the future, by everyone, for everyone
    • Michigan Central Station sits at the nexus of four Detroit neighborhoods – Corktown, North Corktown, Mexicantown and Hubbard Richard. Ford’s site plan sees the station acting as a gateway to these neighborhoods through the mobility platform, multiple outdoor plazas, open spaces and improved streets, as well as linking to downtown Detroit and the riverfront. The Vernor viaduct will provide a key access point to the station from the south, transforming a closed section of Vernor Highway into a pedestrian path that welcomes residents of Mexicantown and Southwest Detroit.
    • https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-district.html

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    I'm sure many of you have read that Ford is in financial hardship now. Mainly due to an 8 million recall 2022 and a leadership team that may not know just what to do next. I think Ford has stopped work on the Michigan Central Train Station. The old building has been closed up with any large opening covered with sheeting. No construction activity can be seen in or around the building.
    Oh fer crissakes. FYI I have extra double rolls of heavy duty Alcoa if you need some.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Oh fer crissakes. FYI I have extra double rolls of heavy duty Alcoa if you need some.
    Yes I drive by there literally every day. There is active construction every day. When was the last time bigboat was even in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Yes I drive by there literally every day. There is active construction every day. When was the last time bigboat was even in Detroit?
    He keeps an eye on it with Google Streetview.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    He keeps an eye on it with Google Streetview.

Hey, and if you jiggle a little bit, you can see it at cherry blossom time circa 2019, and late September of 2020. You can’t beat it for accuracy.

Name:  7D501B20-A86A-4951-BB46-C29F413F58AE.jpeg
Views: 1023
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  486AE44A-474D-44D9-97AE-25FA2BCF1664.jpeg
Views: 966
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  EF332E09-8530-49D5-A767-CEF9F86B77DA.jpeg
Views: 1019
Size:  84.9 KB

taken this morning, so yes, work is being done at the MCS

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Name:  7D501B20-A86A-4951-BB46-C29F413F58AE.jpeg
Views: 1023
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  EF332E09-8530-49D5-A767-CEF9F86B77DA.jpeg
Views: 1019
Size:  84.9 KB

The exterior is also mostly done. The vast majority of work is now internal.

Good photos; thanx. But the weather in the background of those pics makes me so glad to be here in sunny southern Nevada, here never is heard a discouraging word..........................

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hey Gnome, hope all is well with you!

This one image of yours reminded me of the "untouched" metalwork on the side of the MCS. I think this may be the "Porte Cochere" for buses/taxis from the past. In fact, the recently "turned in" huge metal clock to the MCS... I believe belongs on this structure?? I was wondering what the plans are for this structure... since nothing appears to have been done to it... yet??

Just wondering??

I always envisioned a restaurant called "The Carriage House" to occupy that space. It would be really really nice to have outdoor seating under the metal structure in the summer, with the ability to close it in during the winter. This could just be a super nice and unique place to go eat in downtown.

I must just really like this project to be the one double posting here.

dropping this link for anyone interesed in a drone update vvvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcN9ggUZoEY
    Last edited by Lapooty; November-27-23 at 09:59 AM.

This will be the beginning of downtown Detroit extending to Corktown with the renovation of this beautiful building thanks to Ford.

There's an interesting controversy going on right now in Washington DC... Amtrak wants to buy back the main train station there... Union Station. I guess there must have been a legal loop hole that allows Amtrak to take it back with compensation, although it doesn't sound like 'just compensation'.

Judge questions if Amtrak taking Union Station is consistent with congressional intent [[msn.com)

Am I correct in assuming that Amtrak could never do that here in Detroit and take MCS back from Ford?

The reason I ask, is because of this statement in the article... "Federal law gives Amtrak the authority to seize property for intercity rail passenger transportation."
    Last edited by Gistok; December-11-23 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There's an interesting controversy going on right now in Washington DC... Amtrak wants to buy back the main train station there... Union Station. I guess there must have been a legal loop hole that allows Amtrak to take it back with compensation, although it doesn't sound like 'just compensation'.

Judge questions if Amtrak taking Union Station is consistent with congressional intent [[msn.com)

Am I correct in assuming that Amtrak could never do that here in Detroit and take MCS back from Ford?

The reason I ask, is because of this statement in the article... "Federal law gives Amtrak the authority to seize property for intercity rail passenger transportation."

I don't have a solid answer for you, but I would think Ford's legal team would have researched all the fine print before Ford purchased the train station and began restoration. Either that, or the Federal Government, [read US taxpayers] will end up subsidizing the purchase, if Amtrak can't come up with the asking price. Maybe that was the end game all along.

How can Amtrak take anything back,they never owned it in the first place.

When you look at the history,Vanderbilt built it the jump to where it was sold to Conrail who leased it to Amtrak,all of the change of ownerships were private companies and private individuals.

Federal law gives Amtrak the authority to seize property for intercity rail passenger transportation.

It’s in front of a judge now and it’s going to be a few months before the decision can be made.

In that case they were leasing 13% of the facility and they are saying that they need to whole property in order to maintain a lease control,they offer $250 million and the value is $750 million.

The original intent of the ruling was concerning the tracks and not stations as a way to strong arm the private owned rail systems into sharing the tracks or Amtrak would take them.

It’s a guess which way the judge will rule but my guess is because the original intent concerned only the rails and not stations,if Amtrak wants stations they can build their own.

Because it would be based on intent of the original law which had nothing to do with actual stations.

Last edited by Richard; December-11-23 at 09:33 AM.

Outside of the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak just passively goes along with whatever its state "partners" pay for. MDOT wants to build another New Center station to replace the shack across the tracks so that's what Amtrak will go for. Any new MC Depot stop for a train diverted to Windsor will be designed and built by MDOT or another local "partner," probably largely funded by a federal FRA grant, with Amtrak paying a tiny token contribution. Likely it would amount to little more than a new platform and bus-type shelter alongside the current freight tracks [[see the Royal Oak station for an example). Maybe a covered walkway into the old station and Ford might let people use the restrooms. It sounds like both east and westbound Customs would be handled in Windsor, made easier by how the Amtrak train would terminate/originate in Windsor instead of continuing through.
    Last edited by Burnsie; December-11-23 at 11:24 AM.

I haven't read the law, but it sounds like Amtrak is given the right to condemn and take property, just like most governments, public agencies, public utilities, etc. The 5th amendment states that property cannot be taken without just compensation, and the law cannot override that. Determining just compensation would be an interesting task.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How can Amtrak take anything back,they never owned it in the first place.
    Wrong, as usual.

This is a discussion and a legal process about Washington D.C. 's Union Station.

Here is the Wikipedia entry describing the ownership picture:
    " Union Station is owned by Amtrak and the United States Department of Transportation. The DOT owns the station building itself and the surrounding parking lots, while Amtrak owns the platforms and tracks through the Washington Terminal Company: a nearly wholly-owned subsidiary [[99.9% controlling interest).[1][61]
    The non-profit Union Station Redevelopment Corporation managed the station on behalf of the owners, but an 84-year lease of the property is held by New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation and managed by Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle"

The stated goal of returning control from lessee to Amtrak is to triple passenger capacity and double train capacity, which is in line w/its mandate.

Point of clarification. Amtrak and the Federal DoT are in fact the owners of Washington's Union Station; what Amtrak is seeking to do is dissolve a 94-year lease of the facility.

No. The way the statute reads, Amtrak could take MCS if it showed a compelling reason to provide its mandated service.

However, there is no reason to believe they have any interest in doing this; would receive the required funding to do this; or that there is any compelling reason for them to do this.

Hypothetically, the argument would be that they require the facility as a station.

The facility has been/is being restored in such a way that this should be feasible, on a limited basis.

There is no reason then to acquire the head house [[station building), they would simply come to terms with Ford on whatever leasing requirement and easement needs they would have. I don't see why Ford would object to the potential revenue and the convenience of rail service to their door.

We're a considerable distance from even the one trip per day to Toronto that's been proposed thus far; and even if more robust service were delivered, its hard to imagine that pushing the limits of what Ford could easily accommodate for the next two decades.

The only basis for taking MCS would be if Ford outright refused to cooperate or set commercially reasonable terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Wrong, as usual.

This is a discussion and a legal process about Washington D.C. 's Union Station.

Here is the Wikipedia entry describing the ownership picture:
    " Union Station is owned by Amtrak and the United States Department of Transportation. The DOT owns the station building itself and the surrounding parking lots, while Amtrak owns the platforms and tracks through the Washington Terminal Company: a nearly wholly-owned subsidiary [[99.9% controlling interest).[1][61]
    The non-profit Union Station Redevelopment Corporation managed the station on behalf of the owners, but an 84-year lease of the property is held by New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation and managed by Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle"

The stated goal of returning control from lessee to Amtrak is to triple passenger capacity and double train capacity, which is in line w/its mandate.
    Were you born a jerk or you just wake up every morning and practice at being one?

The discussion was If the same federal law could be used to take MTS from Ford,then you tell me I am wrong and go off of some tangent about another property that has zero in common with MTS.

In that case DOT owns the station,Amtrak owned the terminals and a long term lease is what is at odds,big difference then with MTS which has always been in corporation or private owned,unless you can prove Amtrak had any kind of legal ownership in MTS,you might want to attempt to try and compare apples to apples.

Mehta will soon decide the tricky legal question about using the power of eminent domain to take property over an operating lease. According to the Union Station Redevelopment Act of 1981, Congress stated its intent was to task the Department of Transportation to rehabilitate the place for “historic preservation and improved rail use,” with “maximum reliance on the private sector and minimum requirement for Federal assistance.”

You are in no position to tell anybody they are wrong,this is America and the judge will decide and you are not it.

“The only basis for taking MCS would be if Ford outright refused to cooperate or set commercially reasonable terms.”

You thought that one up all by yourself ? Based on what exactly? Your passion for a dictatorship style of government?
    Last edited by Richard; December-11-23 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    There is no reason then to acquire the head house [station building], they would simply come to terms with Ford on whatever leasing requirement and easement needs they would have. I don't see why Ford would object to the potential revenue and the convenience of rail service to their door.
    Yes... they might only need partial use of the first floor of the Head House, and partial use of the Midway... but for a while it looked like it was not going to be possible to build a Train Shed, since there is a building planned in this image's foreground. But at closer inspection, the building doesn't look like it will block the track area. It looks like that part of the building will provide clearance for trains below it, if necessary.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...an/6332106002/
    Last edited by Gistok; December-11-23 at 10:35 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast