Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes, Richard. I think this life will have me stay put, but if we reincarnate, we might get together and pasteurize ourselves for profit.

City of Detroit ends lawsuit with Winans’ unfinished Perfecting Church
    Complaints the property had turned into an eyesore continued to roll into the City of Detroit until the city sued Pastor Marvin Winans and the church over stalled progress. Now both sides have come to terms, and the lawsuit has been dropped in return for a schedule of goals and a timeline that must be met.

That “mega church” has all the charm of an Amazon warehouse. Ugly and tacky. But at least a warehouse contributes to the tax base. I guess one needs a huge church so the “pastor” can fleece a larger flock.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    That “mega church” has all the charm of an Amazon warehouse. Ugly and tacky. But at least a warehouse contributes to the tax base. I guess one needs a huge church so the “pastor” can fleece a larger flock.

That may have been part of his strategy, so to speak. I mean, his waiting around for Detroit's brown and green fields to increase in size to eventually put his flock to pasture.

Beautiful old churches rotting away while this monstrosity keeps moving forward. Sad state of affairs.

Shepherds don't look after sheep because they love them - although I do think some shepherds like their sheep too much. They look after their sheep so they can, first, fleece them and second, turn them into meat. That's much more like the priesthood as I know it. -- Christopher Hitchens

Long-stalled Detroit megachurch could be mostly finished in 2025

An unfinished Detroit megachurch at 7 Mile and Woodward that has been under construction for close to two decades could finally be done — or at least mostly done — by spring 2025.

Representatives for Perfecting Church, which started building the new church at 19150 Woodward Ave. around 2004, told members of the City Planning Commission on Thursday night that they intend to move forward with restarting construction and be substantially finished with the 3,365-seat church by April 2025.

The church's main representative, Damon Tooles of Tooles Contracting Group, said that date is their deadline for obtaining a certificate of occupancy from the city.

"Seventy percent of the interior phase of the building will be complete by April 2025," he said....

Commissioners voted unanimously to approve the revised development plan and zoning. The revision is still subject to approval by Detroit City Council.

After the 2020 pandemic a lot of these churches have lost membership. So if they're depending on their 4,000+ members [[which I'm sure has lessened) to donate funds for a bigger church that is no longer needed, then consider this building a fail site.

If it took 20+ years to get motivation to finish a project that will be 70 percent complete by 2025, then it will sadly continue to be an eye sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    ... if they're depending on their 4,000+ members [[which I'm sure has lessened)....
    You're correct.
    The new plan calls for fewer seats in the church [[3,365 compared with 4,236 before) and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2