Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Because Chick-fil-A has a certain cultural cache going back 75 years. Wahlburger is another celebrity restaurant gimmick.

Chick-Fil-A is in a class by itself. Primarily located just in the South and Texas, they have expanded to the Midwest. Everyone I've been to, the lines are like parking lots stretching for a 1/2 mile. They're sandwiches are good, but I wonder what they're using to make them so addictive?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Chick-Fil-A is in a class by itself. Primarily located just in the South and Texas, they have expanded to the Midwest. Everyone I've been to, the lines are like parking lots stretching for a 1/2 mile. They're sandwiches are good, but I wonder what they're using to make them so addictive?
    Their success, in my opinion, comes from consistency. All too often, the items received from a fast food restaurant are a sad comparison to what is shown in commercials or on the menu board. With Chik-Fil-A, when you unwrap your sandwich, you can expect it to be made well.

Their business model drives this. Other chains strive to sell franchise locations in bulk, which leads to ownership that is fully absent and uninvolved in the day to day operations. Chik-Fil-A sells franchise locations individually, and they go through a vetting process that ensures that the owner will be fully immersed in the day to day operations. High standards aren't just words on a piece of paper. At Chik-Fil-A, your order might very well have been prepared or handed to you by the owner of that location.

That's why people gladly wait in half-mile lines without so much as a second thought.

Richard: This is your best post in a long time. Right on with the analysis, which by the way, is consistent with the franchise discussions we had in class when I was a hotel and restaurant manager major at MSU in the 70's [[the amounts changed, of course). I am now I CPA, and what I have seen among clients with franchise stores, is that in many cases they are essentially buying themselves a job after expensive fees, rent, and upgrade requirements are factored in. When asked my advice about investing in a storefront/fast food restaurant, I usually advise avoiding franchises due to the costs, and, an independent has more flexibility to adjust the operations to the clientele. Or, I advise to avoid the restaurant business altogether. I do this when I detect the client wants to be an absentee operator, or wants to open a new operation with little experience in a high rent area. High rents here in Southern California have killed a lot of small businesses.

Yeah too much... Speaking of there was a cup-cake shop in Ferndale - 9 mile not far from Woodward shuttered not too long ago.

More to the 'over-burger' scene is the Wendy's and Red Robin burger restaurant side by side on Ford Rd. Dearborn recently closed. The Wendy's had bad service for some time. The RR a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    In the mid-2010's, there was a wave of 'specialty' burger joints. It seemed like you could find a new one opening within a stone's throw. I think the market just got oversaturated. Before that it was specialty cupcakes.

I think a lot of it is the way they treat customers,they do not seem to constantly screw up orders at the drive through,they talk nice to people and when you eat inside it’s fast food but they treat you like it’s a mom n pop place,bring your tray to you and it’s always clean.

A couple have actually been shut down after being declared a public nuisance because the drive through lines are so long.

But the lines move fast and it is no exaggeration about the 1/2 mile or more.

Being of religious nature I am not sure they if they are getting their employees straight out of church but I have never saw nothing but respect for everybody that they deal with no matter how busy they are.
    Last edited by Richard; January-27-23 at 01:34 PM.

How's about that! When visiting south I get my C-Fil-A 'fix' fast as they have plenty locations. Went to the new one up on 'The Hill' [that stack of stores in Allen Park off the Southfield). Insane line wrapped around the place. I went in were service was much faster. Talked to a manager who told me they paid very well and the owner of this particular CF-A is attentive to staff selected and how they are treated. Great service for 'grab-and-go' chicken!

Smiling faces and not the default 'sullen', rude attitudes you often get with fast-food places. I guess there's one located in the medical center. I wonder how they're handling their lines as it's the only one in Detroit.

Reminds me somewhat of Culver's. Sure, just average burgers and fries but you're treated well usually. For dine-in they bring you your food; you can customize menu items. Pleasant staff. They too have long lines.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-27-23 at 10:09 PM.

There are local better options than gimmicky expensive chains.
    Geneva burger 8 & Kelly!!!

Chic fil a has gotten skimpy in the last few years. I have been going since a kid. The nuggets are half the size and the sandwiches are small. For the money I want my portions. Don't raise the price AND shrink the portions.
    Last edited by One Shot; January-27-23 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    In the mid-2010's, there was a wave of 'specialty' burger joints. It seemed like you could find a new one opening within a stone's throw. I think the market just got oversaturated. Before that it was specialty cupcakes.
    That reminds of this Freep article in which the writer begged the Lovers Only chef not to open yet another burger joint downtown.

Lovers Only has since closed.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    There are local better options than gimmicky expensive chains.
    Geneva burger 8 & Kelly!!!

Chic fil a has gotten skimpy in the last few years. I have been going since a kid. The nuggets are half the size and the sandwiches are small. For the money I want my portions. Don't raise the price AND shrink the portions.
    As of a few months ago, the last time I asked, Geneva was carry out only. Eat in wasn't offered, I wonder if that situation has changed. I used to like eating there.

Yep. Them nuggets have shrunken. And fowl ain't gettin' no cheaper!

We're seeing the shrinkage of portions on many levels. Some social engineer or approved 'study' would even argue greedy, privileged, Americans eat too much and should be happy! I say give me portions adequate to cost and I can save some for later on my own without big-brother governance. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    ...Chic fil a has gotten skimpy in the last few years. I have been going since a kid. The nuggets are half the size and the sandwiches are small. For the money I want my portions. Don't raise the price AND shrink the portions.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-23 at 07:52 AM.

Well, they review well. I'll have to check them out soon...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/genevas-burgers-eastpointe

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    As of a few months ago, the last time I asked, Geneva was carry out only. Eat in wasn't offered, I wonder if that situation has changed. I used to like eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    How's about that! When visiting south I get my C-Fil-A 'fix' fast as they have plenty locations. Went to the new one up on 'The Hill' [that stack of stores in Allen Park off the Southfield). Insane line wrapped around the place. I went in were service was much faster. Talked to a manager who told me they paid very well and the owner of this particular CF-A is attentive to staff selected and how they are treated. Great service for 'grab-and-go' chicken!

Smiling faces and not the default 'sullen', rude attitudes you often get with fast-food places. I guess there's one located in the medical center. I wonder how they're handling their lines as it's the only one in Detroit.

Reminds me somewhat of Culver's. Sure, just average burgers and fries but you're treated well usually. For dine-in they bring you your food; you can customize menu items. Pleasant staff. They too have long lines.

I love Culver's too. I see they are expanding, but I still don't think there is one in Detroit proper. They just opened one on Haggerty between 14 Mile and Maple. There is also a new chain called Savvy Sliders I've yet to try.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-28-23 at 08:38 AM.

for the heck of it, I tried a Big Boy the other day after many years. The bun was the killer. It was old and dry and when I picked up the burger, it cracked and fell apart. I've found that a lot of "burger" places are just ignoring a good plain bun, and maybe since Brown's Buns aren't around anymore, that may be the reason.

I tried Savvy sliders [there's one in WSU area] but just can't do a twenty+ spot for four tiny average [slider] burgers. But service was excellent.

I love Culver's shakes which you can basically make any way you want.

I love Culver's too. I see they are expanding, but I still don't think there is one in Detroit proper... There is also a new chain called Savvy Sliders I've yet to try.

I tried Savvy sliders [there's one in WSU area] but just can't do a twenty+ spot for four tiny average [slider] burgers. But service was excellent.

So you're saying they weren't worth the price?

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    Why does a chain like Chic-Filet have a line wrapped around the building no matter when you go, and anothe chain like Whalburger crashes and burns after a few years?
    Order a #2 spicy with medium waffle fries and a lemonade and you’ll see why. Customer service is great [[same with Culver’s) and Chic-fil-A is so tasty it’s criminal.

Because they moving poultry like YBI moved crack in the 80’s. Word to my uncle.

Savy Sliders expansion is eerily similar to Starvin Marvin’s strip clubs in the late 2000’s. The food was ok but too expensive and it seems like a quick money grab/scheme. No facts, just my opinion.

Yes! How did it become standard to pay such high prices for nondescript, average burgers sold there?

So you're saying they weren't worth the price?
    I tried Savvy Sliders [there's one in WSU area] but just can't do a twenty+ spot for four tiny average [slider] burgers. But service was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Savy Sliders expansion is eerily similar to Starvin Marvin’s strip clubs in the late 2000’s. The food was ok but too expensive and it seems like a quick money grab/scheme. No facts, just my opinion.
    The same people from Happys…they got nailed a few years back for tax evasion. Makes you wonder how they opened so many all over in such a short period of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2