Hello all, my name is Harold, I am a military historian from Pittsburgh [though I've been to Detroit and it was nice]. I am currently trying to find out the fate of a prototype amphibious truck called the XM157 Drake, which was last photographed in the Detroit area in the 1980s. These five photos show it in a scrapyard or private collection, along with an M4 tank. The person who posted these photos to the internet did not take them, and he doesn't remember who did or where he got them from. So I am asking here, to anyone familiar with the history of the Detroit area, if you have ever seen this truck or recognize the area based on the photos.

The Drake was developed by GMC in the 1950s. The fact that it survived until the 80s gives me some hope that it might have survived hidden away somewhere, even if it was most likely scrapped. Since it is a GMC, it may have ended up in the Pontiac/Flint direction, where their truck plants are, but since both XM157 prototypes were shipped back and forth between Detroit and Norfolk VA they could have ended up anywhere, all that I know is that the photos were taken in the Detroit area in general.

Name:  XM157 Drake, Detroit Area 4.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  43.6 KBName:  XM157 Drake, Detroit Area 3.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  44.1 KBName:  XM157 Drake, Detroit Area 2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  28.2 KBName:  XM157 Drake, Detroit Area 1.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  34.1 KBName:  XM157 Drake, Detroit Area 5.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  34.2 KB