Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I would not have been able to climb the stairs 22 stories.

If they spend $125 million itÂ’s not worth it collecting $800 rent per unit.It would be more in the $1800 to $2000 per month,how many current residents would still be there?

Not sure about up there but here same day service in the trades is no longer the norm,I was booked up 90 days out and thatÂ’s for equipment that people needed fix yesterday.

It would probably be at least 2-3 weeks to get an elevator fixed.
    Last edited by Richard; November-23-22 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would not have been able to climb the stairs 22 stories.

If they spend $125 million itÂ’s not worth it collecting $800 rent per unit.It would be more in the $1800 to $2000 per month,how many current residents would still be there?

Not sure about up there but here same day service in the trades is no longer the norm,I was booked up 90 days out and thatÂ’s for equipment that people needed fix yesterday.

It would probably be at least 2-3 weeks to get an elevator fixed.
    Well maybe if they called to get the other elevators fixed when they broke it wouldn't be such an issue to wait two weeks for the last one!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Well maybe if they called to get the other elevators fixed when they broke it wouldn't be such an issue to wait two weeks for the last one!
    Do not know the specifics,it was not detailed in the article,if I was to speculate I would say that there was no band aid fix for the other ones and they require a complete replacement.

They are being sued by the design group because they have been unable to secure funding in a timely manner,most likely the banks laughed at the $800 per month rent.

It looks like they are better off emptying the building of residents and mothballing it until they can renovate at market rates,save a lot of headaches,the ones living there at that rate would just have to find another place to move to,my guess is they can’t which is why they are still there,now it looks like they are going to be demanding a market rate rental at a reduced rate.

So they are on month to month lease,less headaches to just clear the building.

Why risk the $1500 per day fine on an elevator that they just fixed and do not know how long it will remain in service and how long it will be out of service should it break tomorrow.

Next the city will force their hand and it will be more feasible to demolish it,the city just had to strong arm and say $1500 per day fine,how much is it going to cost the city taxpayers to provide housing for those residents?

Things happen in old buildings,not that anybody wants them to but one cannot really expect to live in an old building and think it is going to be like a 2022 building.

What does $800 per month get you in Detroit as far as living quarters,where I am at that’s what you will pay to live in a shed in somebody’s back yard or rent a room in a shared house in a not very nice neighborhood.
    Last edited by Richard; November-23-22 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Do not know the specifics,it was not detailed in the article,if I was to speculate I would say that there was no band aid fix for the other ones and they require a complete replacement.

They are being sued by the design group because they have been unable to secure funding in a timely manner,most likely the banks laughed at the $800 per month rent.

It looks like they are better off emptying the building of residents and mothballing it until they can renovate at market rates,save a lot of headaches,the ones living there at that rate would just have to find another place to move to,my guess is they can’t which is why they are still there,now it looks like they are going to be demanding a market rate rental at a reduced rate.

So they are on month to month lease,less headaches to just clear the building.

Why risk the $1500 per day fine on an elevator that they just fixed and do not know how long it will remain in service and how long it will be out of service should it break tomorrow.

Next the city will force their hand and it will be more feasible to demolish it,the city just had to strong arm and say $1500 per day fine,how much is it going to cost the city taxpayers to provide housing for those residents?

Things happen in old buildings,not that anybody wants them to but one cannot really expect to live in an old building and think it is going to be like a 2022 building.

What does $800 per month get you in Detroit as far as living quarters,where I am at that’s what you will pay to live in a shed in somebody’s back yard or rent a room in a shared house in a not very nice neighborhood.
    If you know the history of the owner, Higgins, which others on here can detail far better than me, you'd know that he's been a slumlord in Detroit for decades and can certainly keep one elevator running in a building this large if he chooses to do what is morally correct.