Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Interesting how cities ride this roller coaster of making mistakes,fixing them and then turn right back around and make the exact same mistakes again.

The quickest way to ruin an established neighborhood

Throw a duplex in there.

Cities already learned that lesson the hard way,many banned multi family in neighborhoods,some spent millions buying them up and demolished them just to get rid of them,now because real estate is in a up cycle they want to go back to old policies that already proved to devastate neighborhoods when the down cycle repeats itself.

One would think the objective would be to stabilize established neighborhoods and not look for ways to de-stabilize them.

Where I am at they built several large neighborhoods in the downtown,all SF vintage style bungalows,they are low income but they are homeowners and not renters,in 15 years the neighborhoods still are clean and act as neighborhoods.

I guess it boils down to what your long term objective is as a city,are you looking to create homeowners that have a vested interest in the city or transient neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Richard; September-29-22 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting how cities ride this roller coaster of making mistakes,fixing them and then turn right back around and make the exact same mistakes again.

The quickest way to ruin an established neighborhood

Throw a duplex in there.
    Oh yeah, look at how terrible Hamtramck is doing because of all the Duplex homes. Same with Millwaukee, Manhattan, Chicago, all suffering, all with a high rate of people living in duplexes.

Sarcasm can be heard to read but the above certainly was sarcasm.

I could pick apart every piece of this nonsensical post [[the banning multifamily development was usually done solely for race/class related reasons, claiming that new construction on vacant lots would "destabilize" neighborhoods is just asinine, not much of a "downtown if it's full of SFH, and so on) but it would probably all be for naught, so moving on...

One of the best things about duplexes is it introduces lay people to the world of being a landlord. Having a good deal of experience in the industry, I can say the perspective of the property owners is usually hard to grasp unless you've personally rented property. They may not be so quick to jump on the tenants rights bandwagon when they know the feeling of a leach trying to suck them dry.

The North End would be a great spot to build up density with new 1-4 unit housing.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Oh yeah, look at how terrible Hamtramck is doing because of all the Duplex homes. Same with Millwaukee, Manhattan, Chicago, all suffering, all with a high rate of people living in duplexes.

Sarcasm can be heard to read but the above certainly was sarcasm.

I could pick apart every piece of this nonsensical post [[the banning multifamily development was usually done solely for race/class related reasons, claiming that new construction on vacant lots would "destabilize" neighborhoods is just asinine, not much of a "downtown if it's full of SFH, and so on) but it would probably all be for naught, so moving on...

One of the best things about duplexes is it introduces lay people to the world of being a landlord. Having a good deal of experience in the industry, I can say the perspective of the property owners is usually hard to grasp unless you've personally rented property. They may not be so quick to jump on the tenants rights bandwagon when they know the feeling of a leach trying to suck them dry.

The North End would be a great spot to build up density with new 1-4 unit housing.
    All you did there was show your ignorance when it comes to rental properties and tried to turn it into a racial issue.

The same ignorant argument that allowing duplexes and quads in neighborhoods will help with housing shortages,like a materials supplier offers a discount because one is building a duplex.

The whole purpose of somebody purchasing in an established neighborhood is because they know who their neighbors are from one day to the next.

There is your version of how it works then there is the real world.

Nice try naming cities with the highest crime rates in the country as examples to follow.

You are forgetting about the guy from Australia that bought a apartment building that got killed collecting the rent,because that is what happens when you disrupt established neighborhoods with people that are transient in nature that do not have a vested interest in the neighborhood.

You can call me all the little childish names you want,you cannot change or argue with established history.

How many duplexes have you rented in Manhattan?

Once again you are showing your ignorance when you compare Manhattan rentals and the clientele they draw verses Hamtramck,how many 2 bedroom duplex’s rent for $25,000 there ?
    Last edited by Richard; September-30-22 at 04:40 PM.

Indeed, there are duplexes and there are DUPLEXES deluxe that are absolutely grand! Take those near Boston Edison up thru Davison and Dexter [where it gets a bit dicey]. These brick units often have fireplaces, hardwood floors, balconies front and back, plaster walls, stucco ceilings - excellent woodwork.

There are two on Virginia Park near 12th street I know of having two bathrooms in both units. Upper and lower. Also these near-west side Detroit flats [as they are also called] have huge driveways. The long depth of the units [those with three bedrooms particularly] sometimes matched by large backyards. They are homes. Not apartments - though some may be split into more than two units.

There are cases where owner lives in the upper or lower unit - the renter the other. Sure, there are blighted [and vacant units] but drive for example about the bordering areas of mid-town to see existing and restored. Duplexes are coming back and for many areas of Detroit they never went away.

The only tri-county suburbs matching the size and build-quality of the D's best duplexes I've seen are found in parts of Farmington, F-Hills, Dearborn, and parts of the Pointes. As these are older suburbs they have these types of structures.

Hamtramck has some - mostly frame, sans driveways and large yards. The U of D area has a few side-by-side units. The near west side of Detroit has the most brick splendid structures. Block after block.

Here's one sold - note the duplexes on either side showcasing huge covered porches. You get alot of light as the driveways are wide...

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detroit/15.../home/79049353

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In my day, we generally referred to these as flats" or "income flats". Duplexes were where the units were side-by-side in a shared building and not up and down.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-22 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Indeed, there are duplexes and there are DUPLEXES deluxe that are absolutely grand! Take those near Boston Edison up thru Davison and Dexter [where it gets a bit dicey]. These brick units often have fireplaces, hardwood floors, balconies front and back, plaster walls, stucco ceilings - excellent woodwork.

There are two on Virginia Park near 12th street I know of having two bathrooms in both units. Upper and lower. Also these near-west side Detroit flats [as they are also called] have huge driveways. The long depth of the units [those with three bedrooms particularly] sometimes matched by large backyards. They are homes. Not apartments - though some may be split into more than two units.

There are cases where owner lives in the upper or lower unit - the renter the other. Sure, there are blighted [and vacant units] but drive for example about the bordering areas of mid-town to see existing and restored. Duplexes are coming back and for many areas of Detroit they never went away.

The only tri-county suburbs matching the size and build-quality of the D's best duplexes I've seen are found in parts of Farmington, F-Hills, Dearborn, and parts of the Pointes. As these are older suburbs they have these types of structures.

Hamtramck has some - mostly frame, sans driveways and large yards. The U of D area has a few side-by-side units. The near west side of Detroit has the most brick splendid structures. Block after block.

Here's one sold - note the duplexes on either side showcasing huge covered porches. You get alot of light as the driveways are wide...

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detroit/15.../home/79049353
    So many of those beautiful, 1920's full brick duplexes in that Dexter corridor have been fire gutted, vandalized, and torn down. It's enough to make a grown man cry. I think the majority of them are gone, a terrible shame.

^ Yes. Particularly along Linwood and Dexter. Fullerton had some of the nicest duplexes. Closer in to Woodward there are more intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    All you did there was show your ignorance when it comes to rental properties and tried to turn it into a racial issue.

The same ignorant argument that allowing duplexes and quads in neighborhoods will help with housing shortages,like a materials supplier offers a discount because one is building a duplex.

The whole purpose of somebody purchasing in an established neighborhood is because they know who their neighbors are from one day to the next.

There is your version of how it works then there is the real world.

Nice try naming cities with the highest crime rates in the country as examples to follow.

You are forgetting about the guy from Australia that bought a apartment building that got killed collecting the rent,because that is what happens when you disrupt established neighborhoods with people that are transient in nature that do not have a vested interest in the neighborhood.

You can call me all the little childish names you want,you cannot change or argue with established history.

How many duplexes have you rented in Manhattan?

Once again you are showing your ignorance when you compare Manhattan rentals and the clientele they draw verses Hamtramck,how many 2 bedroom duplex’s rent for $25,000 there ?
    The banning of multi family dwellings IS a racial issue. If you understood history as well as you claim you'd already know that. It's called exclusionary zoning, look it up, it's not that hard.

Secondly, you fail to understand is that these homes are by and large owner occupied. So you're whole argument that multifamily homes leads people "not know their neighbor" is totally invalid. I worked in real estate all over the US for YEARS, and the 1-4 unit homes all over the country [[including the 5 Burroughs) are owner occupied and they rent the other units, or share the mortgage with family members.

Obviously missing the point on the chosen cities I'll make it really obvious for you... Hamtramck and Manhattan are about as different as 2 densely populated cities can be, duh. But they are both stable, highly functional, urban areas with an abundance of duplex homes, which invalidates your entire argument that they destroy "established neighborhoods".

Your complete lack of expertise and first hand experience in this matter is evident. I know that's par for the course in your usual interminable diatribe though, so I'll go back to skipping oved your replies as I usually do. Have a good one.