Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    ... Sportscasters today... have also lost the ability to compellingly tell the story of the game live... Ronald Reagan [[this is NOT a political point) started as a sportscaster, before he was an actor. In his little Iowa studio, he would get the live scores over the ticker, along with the stats as the Cubs game was in progress. He would then "call" the game, making up the incidentals to go along with the information he was receiving. No one could do that today...
    I think you've identified the heart of the matter, Mikey. Harry Heilmann used to call the Tiger games the same way 80-90 years ago. According to my dear departed dad, Heilmann was the best.

Jim Price is in classic form tonight, with the 1st of 3 with Jeter and Company. Reminding me of some of those great Ray Layne calls, off-ice interviews, commentary, etc.

Anyway Price,with a Yankee flyout to end the 2d inning,

"Man, that sure was a slow flyball"

Now to our sponsors...

Jim and Dan call a good game.I'm well aware that it's not like being in Cincinnatti or L.A., or ChiSox Really do like the many = MANY = explanations Price gives. The guy simply explains what a "yellow hammer" is. I guess it's just a four-seamer thrown off to the low bottom of the strike zone.
    Last edited by ggores; August-26-14 at 08:51 PM.

I gotta take my hat off to those hockey play-by-play announcer guys [[Martyn, Lynch, Daniels, & Kal). We're seriously blessed to have had some of the best in the biz here, but to this day I have no idea how the hell they do it. They're way up in the press box area where the players are tiny to view. Now I've been in the Olympia and the JLA and have had what I would consider a better vantage point; even a few rows in front of press row. And I have no idea how they can call a game that moves as quickly as hockey. With all of the line changes and the speed of the game, how do they do it? And then with all of the new players from trades and rookies coming onto the team, those guys make it sound effortless. To all of the hockey elitists out there, watch a game on TV with the sound off and see how well you can call a game. Remember that they camera angle from the broadcast is still a helluva lot better than the press box view. Admittedly I know most of the Wings' players from watching them enough but you want me to suddenly bark out the Florida Panther Panther players as they control the puck? It's one thing to know your own team but to prep and recognize the visiting team?? That's skill. Those guys are learned, sharp as a tack and I think are the best in the biz.

Calling basketball, football and baseball? Chump change compared to what hockey announcers do day in and day out.

Bring back Van Patrick & Fred Wolfe.....pleeeeease.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Jim Price is in classic form tonight, with the 1st of 3 with Jeter and Company. Reminding me of some of those great Ray Layne calls, off-ice interviews, commentary, etc.

Anyway Price,with a Yankee flyout to end the 2d inning,

"Man, that sure was a slow flyball"

Now to our sponsors...

Jim and Dan call a good game.I'm well aware that it's not like being in Cincinnatti or L.A., or ChiSox Really do like the many = MANY = explanations Price gives. The guy simply explains what a "yellow hammer" is. I guess it's just a four-seamer thrown off to the low bottom of the strike zone.
    I am getting a little tired of Jim saying "the art of pitching". Once or twice a game was okay, but now it's getting to be once or twice an inning. Give that phrase a rest.

I'm going old school here, because "attention, attention must be paid!"
    In the mid-60s, on Channel 4, as Sonny Elliot would introduce him: "Jumpin Geno Osborne and the Blatz Sports Report."
    Gene Osborne was a local WWJ sports reporter, who was lucky to be here during the 68 Tiger season. His family lived in Grandmont subdivision on Abington between Lyndon and Acacia. 2 sons and a daughter [[Hi, Jamie!"). then he moved on to another town. [[Bye, Jamie!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3