Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

If the Fords ran the Ford Motor Company like they do the Detroit Lions, they would be out of business in no time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I don't think he will be gone this offseason*. They signed him to a six year deal and I haven't seen any indication that there's any rift with Holmes. I think the plan has been along that they are looking at this as a three year process. We're halfway through that. So, I think that Campbell gets through this season and the offseason. That said, just like the team needs to turn the corner in Year 3, so will Campbell and the coaching staff. The inane in-game mistakes have to stop. If things don't, he definitely could go, maybe even as a mid-year fire, but I don't see it being any sooner.

*The only way I think Campbell does go this offseason is if they can somehow lure Sean Payton here. There's always been rumors that he was headed for Dallas, but the Cowboys are playing great ball, so that could very well be off the table. If Payton is ready to come back, then as much as a longshot as it would be, the Lions would have to take a shot.

How ironic would that be? He would be replacing his assitant in N.O. If it were to happen, he would damn near have a lifetime contract with the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Campbell and his coaching staff are gone too.
    I think the players respect Campbell. They respected Jim Caldwell, too. And look what happened when the fool management fired Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I think the players respect Campbell. They respected Jim Caldwell, too. And look what happened when the fool management fired Caldwell.

Those players would run through a brick wall for Caldwell. But the idiot Quinntricia regime felt he wasn't good enough to lead the team.

This a clear indication the Lions have mailed it in like they always do. I'm ok with the trade to get more picks. Hockenson was overrated in my view. He was a decent pass catcher, but a poor blocker. TE'S should be effective in both. He wasn't in the Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews class like these sports talk guys claimed he was.

Elephant in the room is Goff's elite $30-million contract next year, will he get released for cap space to sign more talent or will they sign him to win another handful of games?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Elephant in the room is Goff's elite $30-million contract next year, will he get released for cap space to sign more talent or will they sign him to win another handful of games?
    At least they have the option of paying him or not. Tigers would love to give Cabrera his 30 million to just go away.

If he continues to play the way he did against the Packers that'll make the decision easier.

His bags should have been packed and by the door after the game, but still he wears the Honolulu Blue...
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If he continues to play the way he did against the Packers that'll make the decision easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    His bags should have been packed and by the door after the game, but still he wears the Honolulu Blue...
    I'd actually like to see Nate Sudfeld play for continuity & to see if he has the capabilities to help "mentor" a rookie QB, if drafted. Also, would not be surprised to see former Indy HC Frank Reich on the coaching staff next year, especially if CJ Stroud or Bryce Young become Lions.

I'd actually like to see Nate Sudfeld play for continuity & to see if he has the capabilities to help "mentor" a rookie QB, if drafted.
    I'm not sure that 2023 is a good draft class for QB. The kid in Alabama is too petite for the pros IMHO. Besides, what we see is that productive RBs and receivers and good OLs make a QB look good rather than vice versa. Therefore, IMHO Goff and Sudfeld should stay here for a while. Unless Joey Harrington is available LOL.

Wasn't there a time not so long ago when Kirk Cousins seemed all washed up? He had a few years of inconsistency but got back on track. I hope the Lions and Goff find a way to restructure his contract so he remains the starter for a year or two.

This win was significant for the play of the rookies. Kerby Joseph had a break out game with two interceptions and more, Aiden Hutchinson a big time interception at the goal line, LB Barnes with a sack and big time goal line stuff tackle, TE Mitchell with a TD catch. And Okudah, who is in essence a rookie in that he played only one game in his first season last year, seems to finally be living up to his draft pick level.

I heard the Lions are 2 games out of a wild card spot at this point. Not 100% sure it's true.

Decker is on a pretty reasonable contract, all things considered. I mean, top performing offensive lineman generally don't move around too much in free agency or trades, simply because teams tend to lock up those players when they have them. He's way better than 'Holding Number 76' Backus or Riley Reiff, the last two guys that I can remember who held down the position long term.

Yeah, I know the argument is that they have Sewell who could slide over to LT and probably be really good at it, but then you'd have a hole at RT.

I get the whole idea of shedding high paying contracts when you can to free up money elsewhere, but there has to be limits to that. Doing that for Hockensen made sense. He would have been the 4th offensive option on the field most of the time, so the value may not have been there. But to do that for the anchor of the offensive line, I'm not seeing it. I think moving Decker at this point would be creating, not fixing, a problem.

Oh, yeah, and F Aaron Rodgers every day and a million times on Sunday. Definitely agree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Decker is on a pretty reasonable contract, all things considered.
    Agreed, you don't want to part with great OL players.

NFL worst records as of this week.

Team W L T
    Houston 1 6 1
    Pittsburgh 2 6 0
    Las Vegas 2 6 0
    Detroit 2 6 0

With Jarrad Davis at linebacker and D'Andre Swift still on the mend, my guess is that Chicago will soundly trounce Detroit. And I wouldn't bother to play Swift until he's fully healthy.

With Jarrad Davis at linebacker and D'Andre Swift still on the mend, my guess is that Chicago will soundly trounce Detroit. And I wouldn't bother to play Swift until he's fully healthy.
    I was wrong -- it was a good game. Goff played well. And the Lions had few penalties and good discipline.

I was wrong -- it was a good game. Goff played well. And the Lions had few penalties and good discipline.
    Goff had a really bad pick in this game. A game manager type QB that he is supposed be can’t serve up east picks.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Goff had a really bad pick in this game. A game manager type QB that he is supposed be can’t serve up east picks.
    ???

Player Comp. / ATT YDS TD INT RAT
    J. Goff 19 / 26 236 1 0 113.6

???
    Chicago was flagged and the interception was negated. Goff got lucky. It was an ugly looking throw.

Dan is such a fun guy I really thought he'd go for two.

Can't believe Dan Campbell finally led us to a road win.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Can't believe Dan Campbell finally led us to a road win.
    Frankly, either can I.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast