Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I value the time not wasted watching football on Sundays. I doubt that a new owner is the solution, though.
    I don't see watching football as wasted time - watching the Lions yes. I flipped between some good games this afternoon.

The Lions are not a player or three away from being a good team, they are a team away from being a good team. That includes everyone from the owners through the practice squad.

I go back a long way as a Lions' fan, to the games in the snow of Tiger Stadium. But, I am pretty much through with them. I only get the nationally broadcast games and don't watch them any more. I don't understand why anyone would pay the cost of ticket today to go and see the team play.

It's so interesting to me how there are legions of former Lions fans all over social media who love to post about how they are "through with" the team. If the team ever does turn it around, I have a feeling that you'll suddenly have a much bigger bandwagon, full of people who will pretend they were behind the team the entire time, acting like they're entitled to as big a piece of the celebration as those who actually stuck it out through thick and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    It's so interesting to me how there are legions of former Lions fans all over social media who love to post about how they are "through with" the team. If the team ever does turn it around, I have a feeling that you'll suddenly have a much bigger bandwagon, full of people who will pretend they were behind the team the entire time, acting like they're entitled to as big a piece of the celebration as those who actually stuck it out through thick and thin.
    That's not me. I stop watching each year once they lose 3 or 4 of their 1st 5. I would be embarrassed to ever admit I kept watching throughout a season the last several years.

Isn't that how it always works? This applies to any fanbase.

Too bad Aubrey Pleasant had to fall on the sword for the Lion's inept defense when Aaron Glenn should be just as culpable. Pleasant is responsible for Jeff Okduh's improved play. But he's Campbell's boy, so if the D doesn't show improvement [[I highly doubt it) he's probably safe until the end of the season. I get they have some injuries, but you can't give up 300 to 400 yards passing every game.

Maybe you're right, but I won't be one of them.

The Lions should pay people to watch them play.

So long TJ. We hardly knew ye. The Lions weren't going to pay him, so this was just cutting their losses. Those Viking picks will be worth a lot less if they continue their successful ways this season into next. The rebuild doesn't continue, it's actually just begun.

Forward down the field,
    A charging team that will not yield.
    And when the Blue and Silver wave,
    Stand and cheer the brave.
    Rah, Rah, Rah.
    Go hard, win the game.
    With honor you will keep your fame.
    Down the field and gain,
    A Lion victory!

Lions traded TJ Hockenson to Minnesota Vikings for what?? A lousy possible top Draft pick HAH! Way to go Ford Family.

The Lions pyrrhic victory song!!

Backward down the field,
    A charging team that are going to yield.
    And when the Blue and Silver wave,
    Stand up and boo the brave.
    Boo, boo, boo.
    Go hard, lose the game.
    With dishonor you will keep your fame.
    back the field and gain,
    Detroit Lions will LOSE again!

YOU SUCK LIONS!!!
    Last edited by Danny; November-02-22 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Lions traded TJ Hockenson to Minnesota Vikings for what??
    IMHO Hockenson should have been retained as a piece of the rebuild. With him the Vikings will possibly be undefeated for the remainder of the season. And the Lions' picks will be low. It seems stupid to me.

Time to fire the general manager IMHO. Lions didn't learn anything from the Quinn/Patricia debacle.

I find the entire thing really disappointing. Seven weeks into the season and the towel has been thrown into the ring and the clamor has started to tank for draft picks, again. No light at the end of this tunnel that I can find - certainly not for next season anyway.

Moving TJ appears to be a clearing for cap space in the future type of move but the question would be why or what is the point? No free agent worth the money would want to come here. There are no multitudes of indispensable players that need new contracts… This years Lions are looking less like a rebuild in progress and more like a dumpster fire each passing week. For Gods sake this doesn’t mean they are going to take ANOTHER TE in the first round yet again???

Folks the Lions season is over all ready. It's time to rebuild just like last year and 60 years back since 1958.

Coming out of the draft, TJ was advertised as a TE who could catch and block. Finding guys that can do both is a hard find. He has been a threat in the passing game, but his run blocking has not been what they envisioned. Also, looking ahead to next year, he'd be the fourth option behind St. Brown, Williams, and Swift. Simply put, TJ has been average, maybe even above average, but never elite.

His salary next year would be $9.5m. If they signed him after that, it'd probably be $15-18m. If we paid him that, we'd be paying him based on his draft pick, which he hasn't lived up to. He was drafted too high. Now people are upset because the Lions are choosing not to double down on that?

Here's another angle. Next year, do you see enough holes on the roster that $9.5m might be used to fill? Of course. What happens in free agency when another team signs a starting level CB for $10m that we couldn't afford? Are we going to be happy that we kept the fourth best offensive weapon on our roster instead?

Well, knowing the fans in this forum, they wouldn't be happy either way.

Now, they'll likely have 5 of the top 70 picks in the draft next year. That's 10% of the roster that you should be able to pencil in as being upgraded. Plus, that $9.5m should come in handy to provide another 1-2 upgrades elsewhere.

Rip on Holmes all you want, but TJ wasn't his pick. You could rain down a lot more of your vitrol on him had he made the pick and made this trade. The fact is that the team has added talent through the draft and the team is actually developing the young talent.

I don't love the trade, but to hate it? That's absurd.

Coming out of the draft, TJ was advertised as a TE who could catch and block. Finding guys that can do both is a hard find. He has been a threat in the passing game, but his run blocking has not been what they envisioned. Also, looking ahead to next year, he'd be the fourth option behind St. Brown, Williams, and Swift. Simply put, TJ has been average, maybe even above average, but never elite.

His salary next year would be $9.5m. If they signed him after that, it'd probably be $15-18m. If we paid him that, we'd be paying him based on his draft pick, which he hasn't lived up to. He was drafted too high. Now people are upset because the Lions are choosing not to double down on that?

Here's another angle. Next year, do you see enough holes on the roster that $9.5m might be used to fill? Of course. What happens in free agency when another team signs a starting level CB for $10m that we couldn't afford? Are we going to be happy that we kept the fourth best offensive weapon on our roster instead?

Well, knowing the fans in this forum, they wouldn't be happy either way.

Now, they'll likely have 5 of the top 70 picks in the draft next year. That's 10% of the roster that you should be able to pencil in as being upgraded. Plus, that $9.5m should come in handy to provide another 1-2 upgrades elsewhere.

Rip on Holmes all you want, but TJ wasn't his pick. You could rain down a lot more of your vitrol on him had he made the pick and made this trade. The fact is that the team has added talent through the draft and the team is actually developing the young talent.

I don't love the trade, but to hate it? That's absurd.
    Unless there's a miracle in the second half of the season, Campbell and his coaching staff are gone too. They weren't hired by Holmes. He will look to put his stamp on the team, completely. Plus Campbell and crew aren't very good at their jobs anyway. The ball is in Holmes' court now and it looks like he intends to play aggressively. Will see how it turns out.

This a clear indication the Lions have mailed it in like they always do. I'm ok with the trade to get more picks. Hockenson was overrated in my view. He was a decent pass catcher, but a poor blocker. TE'S should be effective in both. He wasn't in the Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews class like these sports talk guys claimed he was.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Unless there's a miracle in the second half of the season, Campbell and his coaching staff are gone too. They weren't hired by Holmes. He will look to put his stamp on the team, completely. Plus Campbell and crew aren't very good at their jobs anyway. The ball is in Holmes' court now and it looks like he intends to play aggressively. Will see how it turns out.
    I don't think he will be gone this offseason*. They signed him to a six year deal and I haven't seen any indication that there's any rift with Holmes. I think the plan has been along that they are looking at this as a three year process. We're halfway through that. So, I think that Campbell gets through this season and the offseason. That said, just like the team needs to turn the corner in Year 3, so will Campbell and the coaching staff. The inane in-game mistakes have to stop. If things don't, he definitely could go, maybe even as a mid-year fire, but I don't see it being any sooner.

*The only way I think Campbell does go this offseason is if they can somehow lure Sean Payton here. There's always been rumors that he was headed for Dallas, but the Cowboys are playing great ball, so that could very well be off the table. If Payton is ready to come back, then as much as a longshot as it would be, the Lions would have to take a shot.

If the Fords ran the Ford Motor Company like they do the Detroit Lions, they would be out of business in no time!!!

Close call Putty Tats!

LIONS 15
    PACKERS 9

2-6

Eight down nine to go.

About time you cats get a second win. Send those Packers packing back to Green Bay. They did it without Hockenson.

Close call Putty Tats!
    LIONS 15
    PACKERS 9
    I thought it was a great game.

Folks the Lions season is over all ready. It's time to rebuild just like last year and 60 years back since 1958.

That would be 65 years, and 1957.

I don't think he will be gone this offseason*. They signed him to a six year deal and I haven't seen any indication that there's any rift with Holmes. I think the plan has been along that they are looking at this as a three year process. We're halfway through that. So, I think that Campbell gets through this season and the offseason. That said, just like the team needs to turn the corner in Year 3, so will Campbell and the coaching staff. The inane in-game mistakes have to stop. If things don't, he definitely could go, maybe even as a mid-year fire, but I don't see it being any sooner.

*The only way I think Campbell does go this offseason is if they can somehow lure Sean Payton here. There's always been rumors that he was headed for Dallas, but the Cowboys are playing great ball, so that could very well be off the table. If Payton is ready to come back, then as much as a longshot as it would be, the Lions would have to take a shot.

How ironic would that be? He would be replacing his assitant in N.O. If it were to happen, he would damn near have a lifetime contract with the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Campbell and his coaching staff are gone too.
    I think the players respect Campbell. They respected Jim Caldwell, too. And look what happened when the fool management fired Caldwell.

Elephant in the room is Goff's elite $30-million contract next year, will he get released for cap space to sign more talent or will they sign him to win another handful of games?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast