Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It’s like other cities that expanded their foot print by filling in swamps or marshes,they always remain under the surface.

That road sounds like it was built over a peat bog or at one time wet ground and it’s the hydraulics that is pushing up the road.

That’s what happened in New Orleans,the levies were built on top of bogs,water gets underneath and forced them up and out and they failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It’s like other cities that expanded their foot print by filling in swamps or marshes,they always remain under the surface.

That road sounds like it was built over a peat bog or at one time wet ground and it’s the hydraulics that is pushing up the road.

That’s what happened in New Orleans,the levies were built on top of bogs,water gets underneath and forced them up and out and they failed.

Never mind New Orleans, how about the ton of buildings on Florida’s coastline, and interior?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Never mind New Orleans, how about the ton of buildings on Florida’s coastline, and interior?
    A ton is 2000 pounds,which would equate to about 1/2 of a tiny house,or the weight of a small car.

I guess hypothetically if you took a 2000 pound building from Florida and pulled it down Jefferson in Detroit,it would have little impact on the road condition other then maybe contributing to what is already happening,we would have to hire a engineering firm and do a detailed study as to how much of an impact it would really have.

I am thinking the load transfer weights would be different then a car which carries the load on 4 tires that are 8” wide.

I kinda figured that you would have picked up on how soil hydraulics works after the recent road blow out from the coke piles.

Next time it rains heavy,you can find a mud puddle and be a gentleman while placing your coat over the top and allowing your wife to walk over it so she does not get her shoes dirty,it will give you an idea of the concept if you are still confused.

Or you could just take a banana and step on one end of it,same principle.

Personally I think it is sinking because there is a tunnel under there that was dug by people escaping from Canada into the U.S. and freedom.
    Last edited by Richard; September-29-22 at 01:33 PM.

Fewer than 20 % of properties are protected by your National Flood Insurance. I sincerely hope you are in that group of owners, wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Never mind your made up tunnel story, that goner of a bridge to Sanibel/Captiva makes the wavy bit of Jefferson look rather sweet at the end of the day.

Oh! Give my sympathy to Fort Myers [[400 thousand + folk) for enduring IAN, and the 6pm curfew on account of looting.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Fewer than 20 % of properties are protected by your National Flood Insurance. I sincerely hope you are in that group of owners, wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Never mind your made up tunnel story, that goner of a bridge to Sanibel/Captiva makes the wavy bit of Jefferson look rather sweet at the end of the day.

Oh! Give my sympathy to Fort Myers [[400 thousand + folk) for enduring IAN, and the 6pm curfew on account of looting.
    If I am not mistaken I believe that is poster Hermod neck of the woods,if so hope he is okay.

I was down there last Sunday to pick up a generator from a friend for one of his employees,he showed me his new house he just finished building,1 week later poof it’s gone $650k,that’s Mother Nature for you,when she gets pissed off she lets you know.

But it is like anywhere else,you go into it knowing the consequences if something were to happen.

I had to rebuild my house in Orlando in 2004 when Charlie and the 3 others hit one right after another,the insurance payout was about the same as I paid into sense 1992,so now I just put the funds into an interest bearing account.

I was disaster response contractor under FEMA for years,floods,hurricanes,tornadoes people lose everything they worked for their entire lives in a matter of seconds as long as they do not lose their life everything else is replaceable.

If you are around it a lot you have a tendency to prioritize things in life a little different,times like that proper spelling and sentence structure on the internet is not going to help you.

They predicted it was going to hit Tampa and the city was thinking about shutting power off to the city in advance,but as soon as they mention that,people know alarms will also be shut off and become opportunistic and shot which creates another whole set of problems storm
    aside.

Its not the hurricane as much as it is the surge,the force of a 14’ wall of water is pretty powerful.

To me though,theg should have never allowed the mobile home parks that close to the water,now that they are wiped out big money will come in and build condos,lots of retirement accounts,teachers union etc from Canada and Michigan own condominium complex’s beachfront in Florida,they will be taking the hit also.
    Last edited by Richard; September-30-22 at 03:11 AM.

It's coming back again! Certainly livens up the drive downtown on East Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    It's coming back again! Certainly livens up the drive downtown on East Jefferson.

Life's full of peaks and valleys. It's to the point when I drive through there, I automatically swerve into the left turn lane. Mike has to drive through there when he leaves the Boogie'n Mansion. Maybe he'll get on the horn and get it squared away.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-17-23 at 01:09 PM.

Who keep giving these same paving companies contracts to do these shabby jobs that usually start buckling within a few months so that these same lousy contractors get more money to straighten out their messes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2