Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The private sector has no monopoly on bankruptcy, mismanagement, and outright theft of pension funds. Governments have those faults, as well.
    You obviously weren't reading the previous posts. I just stated that the difference is when it's the gov't employees tend to get bailed out far more often than the private sector.

Reading the title doesn’t surprise me. I’m not sure what Michigans public employee pension tier structure is, but in Illinois, people could retire on a full pension in their early 50’s if they get thirty full years of service. That’s 80% of the last 5 years of salary for any employee hired before the year 2011. Anyone after 2011 may not retire on a full pension until 67. That’s why this cities and the state are struggling and it will take decades to right the ship before the pension fund is solvent again. If city and state government were burdened by only “normal pension costs”. Chicago and Illinois would enjoy billions in surplus and could probably afford serious tax cuts while still offering competitive compensation and still meet infrastructure and service needs. Problem is our state constitution allows zero changes other than more benefits rather some other alternative. That’s much of the predicament Detroit was in, but bankruptcy was their exit option
    Last edited by wolverine; March-22-22 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    And if you want to see Ray waving at the Google car, hop around the area in June 2014. I could find only one photo that showed him.
    Yup, I was pulling into my garage and spotted the Google car across the street. Some folks like to hide from everything, but not me. I jumped up and down and waved! Had the Google driver stopped I'd of invited him for coffee and donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup, I was pulling into my garage and spotted the Google car across the street. Some folks like to hide from everything, but not me. I jumped up and down and waved! Had the Google driver stopped I'd of invited him for coffee and donuts!
    Mind you don’t overdo the donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Thanks Bongman, I knew you could leave early once you had your 30 yrs in, I just thought you had to wait to age 65 to start receiving pension. I know people in military it's 20 and out and they get out at 38 but don't recieve pension til 65. A lot of guys get second job and build second pension - they they have two pension payouts starting at age 65.
    I agree the macomb county drop plan sounds fishy - dreamed up by some consultant who gives campaign $ to politicians. Thanks again for the clarification...
    I enlisted at 17, retired at 37 after 20 years and started drawing my military pension upon separating from the Army.
    I went to work at another company and I am 2 years away from having 20 years in with my current employer.

But I started drawing my military pension immediately.

I think there was some confusion on pensions. Active duty draws retirement right away. Reserves have to wait for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Many city and county pension plans are managed by those cities and counties.

For example, Matt Schenk from Wayne County got nearly $100k/year at age 42: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hief-of-staff/

For the longest time, if you were an exec at the County for 8 years, you got the "Amann benefit," which is health care for life: https://www.casemine.com/judgement/u...51411c3d2e/amp. Some folks got eligible for it in their 30s or 40s, if I remember it right.

That's some BS. He doesn't deserve a pension like that when he didn't put in the time. He probably didn't do $hit his 8 years there. Government employees always get the best perks.

I retired from the Detroit PD in 1984 after 29 years. Do you really want a 55 year old person chasing the guy who just held you up? Some positions absolutely require a degree of youth.

On the other hand, I'm a freak, being still alive at 85. All my classmates from the Detroit Police Academy are all dead. Class of 50 candidates in 1959. I've traced them all. And, of course, if my wife catches me with my girl friend, I'll soon be dead also.

DPD officer Olsen retired around 85-years young. . . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    DPD officer Olsen retired around 85-years young. . . ...
    Yup, and over a half century in the DPD.

I retired from the Detroit PD in 1984 after 29 years. Do you really want a 55 year old person chasing the guy who just held you up? Some positions absolutely require a degree of youth.

On the other hand, I'm a freak, being still alive at 85. All my classmates from the Detroit Police Academy are all dead. Class of 50 candidates in 1959. I've traced them all. And, of course, if my wife catches me with my girl friend, I'll soon be dead also.
    Ray, I'm so glad you are still around. My Grandfather was a retired Detroit Police Officer with 25 years of service 1950-1975. He passed away at 80 just over 14 years ago. There are indeed very few Detroit Police Officers from the 1950s still alive, let alone actively posting on Detroit discussion forums.
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; May-02-22 at 04:22 AM.

Eric Smith's last day to report to Milan prison is 5/16. . . ...wonder if our "two-tier" justice program holds true to the date?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2