Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Condolences to the Ukrainian community

Growing up in Hamtramck, I had many Ukrainian friends who were members of the Ukrainian Church on McDougal.

Putin says that Ukraine isn't a country. And Poles thought likewise when the Zaporozhian Sich became a destination for runaway Commonwealth serfs and for prisoners fleeing the slave market in Crimea.

Little known fact: Christopher Columbus learned seamanship on Genoese slave ships in the Crimean trade route before he became a slaver in the New World...

There are almost 1.5 million Ukrainian Canadians. I'm guessing a lot more refugees will be on the way when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There are almost 1.5 million Ukrainian Canadians. I'm guessing a lot more refugees will be on the way when this is over.
    Probably so.

Ukraine will be free once again from the Soviet mindset Russia headed by a dictator named Putin-Stalin!

Take a good look when Ukraine when its free the Soviet slavery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAwjimRIKU

World War III is just started.

We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia full on [WW3]. Even less if China steps forward to take Taiwan in the midst of all of this.

Our Keystone pipeline needs to be re-opened. Today. Now! Per not engaging in a war-for-oil we can't win! Oil [who has it] will be a serious factor. We are captive to our own oil crisis [quite self-induced]. Hardly hearty for wars on any level.

Are we ready for the pending fallout Detroit? Captive audience we will be.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia full on [WW3]. Even less if China steps forward to take Taiwan in the midst of all of this.
    I agree, but for different reasons. Russia has been snooping out the undersea cables for connecting Europe to North America [[and China has probably done likewise in the Pacific). I worry that they might try to cut the non-satellite communications lines if we were to get involved. Or have their computer hackers disable our power grid.

We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia...
    Agreed. The USSR collapsed after its Afghan war. Perhaps the U.S. will collapse after its war in the graveyard of empires? Perhaps not, but most likely the PRC will have Taiwan. IMHO they are smarter than us, and rich after the self-Salomation of laissez-faire free trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...World War III is just started.
    Thanks for the stirring video. But I don't think it's the start of WW III. The U.S. was unable to beat the puny Taliban, it's certainly not going to beat Russia, and our citizens could care less about their own democracy, let alone the Ukrainian republic. Maralago Mussolini did his best to weaken NATO and Zelensky; if re-elected, for a small fee, he'll give Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Poland to Putin, and perhaps even East Germany, Romania, Moldavia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-24-22 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Thanks for the stirring video. But I don't think it's the start of WW III. The U.S. was unable to beat the puny Taliban, it's certainly not going to beat Russia, and our citizens could care less about their own democracy, let alone the Ukrainian republic. Maralago Mussolini did his best to weaken NATO and Zelensky; if re-elected, for a small fee, he'll give Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Poland to Putin, and perhaps even East Germany, Romania, Moldavia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.
    I support Biden's decision to get out of Afghanistan. There was no congressional mandate to be there after Bush chased out the Taliban and Obama caught up with Bin Laden. Under Obama, the democratically elected pro-Russian head of Ukraine was overthrown and replaced with crooked oligarchs. Our implementation of our evacuation was horrible however. It turned out that our intelligence had it all wrong and the Taliban rolled up Afghanistan before we could even evacuate Americans. Putin was smart enough to know that our military had declined and that Biden was senile. What better time to invade than when the US was weakened? Xi is watching and is also aware of his golden opportunity.

In a week, Ukrainians will run out of fuel and food.

^ Yep. We can add that to the expanding list[s] of concerns - and the most obvious weaknesses on our end.

Sanctions, smancktions. Weakness is always exploited.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:45 PM.

...and the most obvious weaknesses on our end.
    The U.S. is weak between the ears.

^ We will be heavily impacted leading up to any world-war. Growing ever weaker on the way! One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.

And no, I don't mean donald. This is far bigger than that distraction.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:47 PM.

...One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.
    ????

Keep yo' eyes and ears open!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    ????

^ We will be heavily impacted leading up to any world-war. Growing ever weaker on the way! One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.

And no, I don't mean donald. This is far bigger than that distraction.
    Not committing the US military to a ground war in defense of Ukraine or Taiwan does not make America weak in the slightest. Strategically it is the smart move. Power is most powerful when used wisely. Not spent at every opportunity it could possibly be used. The Russian regime is playing their hand here for all the world to see. Politically this war will drive a wedge between themselves and many nations because of the sheer brutality on a country they claim to be culturally close to. Militarily the Russians look unimpressive. Those 50+ year old vehicles chugging along in column together would not last a few days against any first world western air force. Hours, against United States Airpower.

God be with the Ukrainian people.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Not committing the US military to a ground war in defense of Ukraine or Taiwan does not make America weak in the slightest....
    100% agree with everything you said.

If we send in our ground troops, that is the start of WWIII and the end of the world as we know it today. It's simply not an option. All the people of the world that oppose Russia need to put in very strong sanctions, cut ties economically, etc...

Zacha341 mentioned we need to secure more oil, I disagree. Let's go post-oil. The people we buy oil from aren't our friends. We have the technology we need. Start taxing oil and use the money raised to get us the hell off of it. That will put market pressure for people to get off oil while at the same time putting the muscle of the US government into accelerating the other options.

It would be nice if ALL former presidents would condemn Putin's move here. But Trump still offers praise and support for Putin, even as he invades our ally that Trump tried to shake down during his presidency.

The best-case scenario would be that the invasion mostly fails, little territory is gained, Russia feels the immense pain of most of the world cutting economic ties, and a weaker Russia wanting political change emerges.

These coming days are very important to world history. My thoughts and best wishes are with the Ukrainian people.

Talk of a world war is kind of silly. If it happens it will be over in about 20 minutes, end in a tie, and you don't want to be around for overtime anyway.
    Speaking of sports, I just listened to former Wing Slava Fetisov give a long, impassioned interview on the Fan in Toronto. He stated that long-time Putin supporter Alex Ovechkin could do more to change Russian citizens' opinion of Putin than any single person but he won't speak out against him because of how much money he's made by their relationship.

^ Right-O. Strategic relationships always play a part in such - explicit or implicit.

I'm in favor of war. We should start by invading Ontario. Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm in favor of war. We should start by invading Ontario. Whatcha think?

Knock yourself out. It's only a few hours west of you, just before you get to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Knock yourself out. It's only a few hours west of you, just before you get to LA.
    I went to LA once. Didn't stop in time and got awfully wet.

You have to be very concerned that Putin can just invade a country and overtake it, basically because he feels like doing it. Lately, his rantings have sounded like he is a complete lunatic. I sure as hell don't want any of our guys getting hurt over there. No matter what your feelings are about Ukraine, It's VERY concerning.
    Last edited by softailrider; February-24-22 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You have to be very concerned that Putin can just invade a country and overtake it, basically because he feels like doing it. Lately, his rantings have sounded like he is a complete lunatic. I sure as hell don't want any of our guys getting hurt over there. No matter what your feelings are about Ukraine, It's VERY concerning.
    People are not looking at the bigger picture,the pipeline going through the UKRAINE carries 40% of the NAT gas to Europe,Russia already supplies the majority of wheat to the region.

If Russia takes Ukraine it controls Europe,it all ready has Germany and Italy walking on eggshells in fear that they will be cut off,without firing a shot they are already under Russias control.

They will be in control of the bulk of the food and fuel that supplies Europe,Russia is all ready referred to as Europes gas tank.

How it will effect us? Because of the world connected economy Russia then becomes a major player in the price of everything.

It was then senators Clinton and Biden that made that deal and stripped the Ukraine of their nuclear capacity,at that time it was the US,Russia and Ukraine as world nuclear powers.

They agreed that if the Ukraine gave up their nukes,Russia would not be aggressive towards the Ukraine and that the United States would always be their if they were attacked.

It was legally non binding,a handshake of sorts,who would ever trust Russia with a handshake.

He only needs to take Ukraine and the rest of Europe will be under his control.

We as a country has a history of overthrowing governments in the name of democracy,we need to be there helping the Ukraine as we promised back then we would be,if not we cannot claim we support democracy.

We could send 100,000 private contractors in there tomorrow,they are funded by DOD but not considered US soldiers and it would be no different then the Russian funded contractors that have been fighting against eastern Ukraine did the last 8 years.

Husbands are standing next to their wives armed in order to protect their homeland,if I could I would be there and as American I would be proud to stand and fight and die alongside of them

If we do not stand up for democracy when it is threatened,we do not deserve to hide under its umbrella.

Weakness draws out the evil

China is watching,Korea is watching,Korea tested 10 missiles in January alone,shortly they will have the capability to hit our shores.

The world knew,as soon as the sanctions were lifted from Nordstrom the second day in office,a war was coming,Russia did not assemble an entire invasion army in two weeks.

All this talk about sanctions now is BS ,Russians are born into hardship they do not care,to Putin this is simply eliminating the competition.

He stashed a lot of cash in preparation for this,the only sanctions that will work against him,and the only sanctions that are not on the table right now are against his fuel exports.

He knows that the United States and Europe will not sanction his number one cash crop,the fuel.

So he is also in control of us already,to a point.

He is strategically smart,he took our weakness and used them against us to gain advantage,the Ukraine citizens will pay for it with their lives today,we will in the future worse if we do not help today..

Nobody wants to die or watch others die in war,if we do not stop it there and now and fast,it will spread and at that time millions will die.

Embolden Russia,China and Korea and you have a recipe for disaster and no where to hide or run.

People say that it is a long ways away it will not effect us,it will,the feds will not raise the rates in order to curb inflation,they already said that,so figure on doubling your cost of living in the next few months when it is already at a 40 year high.

What will people say in the coming years when Korea makes demands on us where if we do not comply,he threatens to drop a nuke on Los Angles,or Huston,or Detroit?

We only have a choice between a bad situation today and an even worse situation tomorrow,we can sit this one out,but it will be more expensive in costs and lives in the future.
    Last edited by Richard; February-24-22 at 11:59 PM.

How delusional do you guys have to be to believe the US military is somehow "weakened" or "declined"? Especially opposed to Russia... LOL What universe are you living in??

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    How delusional do you guys have to be to believe the US military is somehow "weakened" or "declined"? Especially opposed to Russia... LOL What universe are you living in??
    Our military is led by poltroons who haven't been successful in war with the puniest of foes. Our naval commanders are whore-mongers, or they were until Fat Leonard was incarcerated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast