Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Speaking of Willie Horton. I remember way back when he bought a home in Allen park. There was a lot of grumbling about that by some bigggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    BTW: How does Avila keep his job at 9-22, nevermind. . . ...
    It starts and stops with the fact that Illitch probably don't have to pay him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    It starts and stops with the fact that Illitch probably don't have to pay him very much.
    The cliche answer always sounds good but that has zilch to do with it. Ilitch has paid a ton to increase staffing at all levels of the organization the last couple of years. Just google all the pay increases for guys he's hired away from the Dodgers organization. The salary for a gm would be nothing if he thought a change would increase the won/loss record significantly because that would pay for itself tenfold in increased revenues. Hanging on to a gm too long usually has more to do with pride, although Chris Ilitch obviously didn't hire Avila.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The cliche answer always sounds good but that has zilch to do with it. Ilitch has paid a ton to increase staffing at all levels of the organization the last couple of years. Just google all the pay increases for guys he's hired away from the Dodgers organization. The salary for a gm would be nothing if he thought a change would increase the won/loss record significantly because that would pay for itself tenfold in increased revenues. Hanging on to a gm too long usually has more to do with pride, although Chris Ilitch obviously didn't hire Avila.

Pride & an awful organization which is costing more doesn't make common sense. Many see No roadmap on Avila's strategy to get to the promise land, "best player" available is just deflection & nailing wall Jello.

If the pitching injuries weren't so tragic it would be comical. ERod goes down yesterday, joining Turnbull, Alexander, Mize, Pineda, etc. but don't worry Manning is making his final rehab start in Toledo today right? Nope - pulled in the 3rd after re-injuring himself. Despite all that, the hitting is still the biggest problem with this team. Rest In Pieces 2022.

It would take a miracle to turn this season around. The dead ball notion is the same for every team, the Tigers just can't score runs. This has been a complete and utter disappointment. They're out of it before 25% of the season has elapsed - They're one of the worst, if not the worst team in either league.

Millions can't believe it either: "WELL I JOEL ZUMAYA #54 FORMER DETROIT TIGER, truly am disgusted, disappointed, just flat out upset on how this organization has let itself fall into a category which I thought this organization would never see again!!! I’m gonna say this straight out of my mouth, I can’t believe they gave Al Avila a undisclosed extension, blows my mind �������� [[free press)."

More Zumaya: "They need to clean house, they need to go through the main office and start removing some of these nerds that have no clue about the good ole game of baseball!!!" Zumaya continued. "The good old English D is to iconic! To great to even let fall to these standards!!! My apologies I come so bold, but as they say once a tiger always a tiger!!!
    "I’m entitled to my own opinion and I’m entitled to say whatever I want whether people like it or not!!!!

9. Default

If the pitching injuries weren't so tragic it would be comical. ERod goes down yesterday, joining Turnbull, Alexander, Mize, Pineda, etc. but don't worry Manning is making his final rehab start in Toledo today right? Nope...
    All those injuries and now with the mention of Zumaya, who famously broke his arm with a career-ending pitch, one has to begin to wonder if pitching injuries will become to baseball somewhat what concussions became to football.

I can recall when Jack Morris hit 90 MPH it was a big deal. Now a pitcher can't be serious the Bigs ~unless~ he can, at a minimum, throw in the mid-90's. I don't know what happened between then and now, maybe improvement in the science of pitching mechanics[?] that got all these pitcher velocities so high but now pitches are counted and rarely go over 100, completes games a rarity, Tommy John surgery routine, over 200 innings a year almost unknown, and injuries are rampant. No more Mickey Lolich pitching there consecutive complete games and over 300 innings in year. What's going on?

And BTW looking up fastest pitches ever Zumaya once hit 104+.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2021 View Post
    Speaking of Willie Horton. I remember way back when he bought a home in Allen park. There was a lot of grumbling about that by some bigggots.
    That wasn't his only one. He had several homes in the Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Not very much in relation to other, better GM's. He's living quite well.

No. I'm not paying or even signing up for free to watch your last place team on U-tube, Apple tv, or the Peacock network, and I never will. I've also decided that as long as you continue this garbage, I won't be attending any games at Comerica Park either. Good luck with that sports business model that gets you a .15% local tv audience share and 1,500 people in attendance. You'll go far Chris! It may be the future, but it isn't mine.

At least he [[Avila) knows how to locate & then sign talent: Javier Báez [[six years, $140 million) is hitting .194 and Eduardo Rodriguez [[five years, $77 million) has one win in eight starts with a 4.38 ERA.

Wanna see the team improve? Quit paying to get into the ball park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wanna see the team improve? Quit paying to get into the ball park.
    Can't fix stupid.

Hot off the presses: Casey Mize T.J. surgery. Guess we could see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Hot off the presses: Casey Mize T.J. surgery. Guess we could see that coming.
    Maybe baseball GM’s should consider requiring Tommy John surgery as a part of any long term contract. Whatever techniques have been developed where every major league pitcher throws at least a low 90’s fastball has created a new medical industry. And whatever happened to the knuckleball?

This isn't baseball anymore - the Tigers season has turned into a clown show. Came home and turned on the game for a few minutes, it's 13 to 0, Austin Meadows is pitching and just lobbing the ball to the plate. These guys have been playing baseball their entire live and this is the best we can get. A really sad period for the Tigers who are a storied franchise.

Zumaya is expressing his outrage again.
    https://fansided.com/2022/06/16/tige...Bah9yNa3fAK_1Y

Tigers are officially a dumpster fire now. Avila has to be a dead man walking. If he is not Cris Ilitch is taking his Tigers ownership to a Ford level of lack of caring if they win or lose.

Ken Rosenthal is jumping on the anti Avila band wagon too, but he does make some good points/observations.
    https://theathletic.com/3377830/2022...ailing-season/

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal is jumping on the anti Avila band wagon too, but he does make some good points/observations.
    https://theathletic.com/3377830/2022...ailing-season/
    Very good article. Everything mentioned is true. Avila fell asleep at the wheel running this franchise.

AL Player of the Week - Isaac Paredes. Ten home runs in 98 ab's with Tampa. Meanwhile Meadows is off the covid list. Maybe he'll get his 1st home run this week!

AL Player of the Week - Isaac Paredes. Ten home runs in 98 ab's with Tampa. Meanwhile Meadows is off the covid list. Maybe he'll get his 1st home run this week!
    Posted too soon. Meadows is back on IL with achilles strains in both ankles. How do you strain both achilles while recovering from covid? You just can't make this stuff up.

Alex Avila color work on the Tigers radio broadcast is fantastic. It's unbelievable how he just stepped into that role. Never really cared for him as a player though, good defense. light hitting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast